Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW Bora 1.6 cutting out

Options
  • 15-01-2006 5:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭

Hi

As from my previous thread about the VW Bora, I decided to go ahead and get one. Its a great car. 1999 comfortline 1.6l engine with 90000 km's on the clock. Nice drive, a massive improvement over the 1997 1.0l polo I was driving. I have a couple of questions tho.

Just when I start the car and make a careful reverse manouvere, I reverse slowly and stop and reverse again, but one thing I noticed twice is that the engine revs slowed down on me to about 300-400 revs and then the engine just died. This happened yesterday when I was trying to manouvere out from between 2 cars who had practically sandwiched me in. I was parked very near into the footpath but not on it, so you can imagine the amount of reversing and moving very slowly forward that took. The engine cut out on me twice then. Thats pretty much the only time thats happened. This was all done from a cold start, as the car was parked in its place overnight. Anyone have any idea's what thats about ? I'm new to cars with bigger engines.

Another question (unrelated). The engine I have in my Bora is a 1.6l SR engine. The Car is a 1999 Bora SE. Is that an 8 valve or 16 valve engine ?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭spartacus93

We just traded in a 98 Passat that used to cut out. It was a 1.6 also so i presume it was the same engine. It's apparently a very common problem. We could not get ours sorted out but were told by many people that the trottle valve needs to be cleaned every 20k miles and this will stop it from cutting out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Litcagral

pontovic wrote:
    Hi

As from my previous thread about the VW Bora, I decided to go ahead and get one. Its a great car. 1999 comfortline 1.6l engine with 90000 km's on the clock. Nice drive, a massive improvement over the 1997 1.0l polo I was driving. I have a couple of questions tho.

Just when I start the car and make a careful reverse manouvere, I reverse slowly and stop and reverse again, but one thing I noticed twice is that the engine revs slowed down on me to about 300-400 revs and then the engine just died. This happened yesterday when I was trying to manouvere out from between 2 cars who had practically sandwiched me in. I was parked very near into the footpath but not on it, so you can imagine the amount of reversing and moving very slowly forward that took. The engine cut out on me twice then. Thats pretty much the only time thats happened. This was all done from a cold start, as the car was parked in its place overnight. Anyone have any idea's what thats about ? I'm new to cars with bigger engines.

Another question (unrelated). The engine I have in my Bora is a 1.6l SR engine. The Car is a 1999 Bora SE. Is that an 8 valve or 16 valve engine ?

Thanks

Do you use a lot of supermarket petrol (Tesco)?

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭tapest

Litcagral wrote:

What difference would that make??
    Surely one is as good as another withthe same RON value
    t

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Litcagral wrote:

Is Statoil fuel that bad?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

needs a new maf, (mass air flow sensor) at 200 euro fitted, or in a pich u could try cleaning old one. instructions do a search on ukmkivs.net forums for maf.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭flanzer

We could not get ours sorted out but were told by many people that the trottle valve needs to be cleaned every 20k miles and this will stop it from cutting out.

Yep sounds like it alright! I just got rid of a '98 1.6 MK4 and my private mechanic always cleaned out the throttle body at the service interval. VW sorted out the problen by '02. There was a design flaw in the throttle bodies before that year

Advertisement