Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

oooh, another what car to buy thread, goody

Options
  • 15-01-2006 1:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭

Ok, after being all ecstatic about passing my driving test, all i'm thinking of is buying a new car:) It's a few months down the line yet, but i may as well start looking/saving now..:p

Requirements:

Well, at the moment i drive a 97 Punto, tis a grand car but i just need to try something different.

It has to be a comfortable car, next to the punto any car would be more comfortable but you get what i mean. It has to drive nice and be a little bit more safer than a punto. I'd like space, like a saloon as there are times when i'll be transporting gear and that would come in handy, HOWEVER, this is not a neccessity, just something to take into consideration, i'd still like a coupe:o

It has to have a bit more balls than the punto, something that doesn't take 20 seconds to get to 60.

The only restriction i have is that it's no more than a 1.6 due to insurance reasons, other than that, fire ANY suggestions you have at me..

Make, Model, Year, Colour, Body Type etc i don't care about.

Some things i've found while browsing the likes of carzone, 97 BMW 316, 00 Mitzubishi Lancer, 00 Honda Civic, 99 VW Passat etc etc.. You get the idea.

Budget - 8000 euro

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭LundiMardi

*tumbleweed*

• Registered Users Posts: 73,439 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

have you heard of the Skoda Octavia..............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭RotalicaV

Get a 98 punto

colm_mcm wrote:
    have you heard of the Skoda Octavia..............
    i have... It's eye candy rating isn't very high though

RotalicaV wrote:
    Get a 98 punto
    tempting, very tempting.

How about a 96/97 1.6 Integra? mmm, yum

• Advertisement

or even a 01 Carisma 1.6?

the pulsar is v.nice.. Not sure how insurance friendly it would be though!

The coupe i like the look of, but they don't seem to have the best rep, the bite is worse than the bark so to speak..

That primera looks very nice indeed! Seems rather cheap doesn't it? Anyone know much about that model? That one has rather high mileage too.

I was looking at passats, they are rather nice.. but for the size of them, would a 1.6 be a little too underpowered?

Some good links there man, thanks!! My top three there would be the integra, primera and passat.. But the fact that the integra has 'Injection' after the name makes me worry when it comes to insurance:)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

pulzar wouldnt be very kind on insurance :(

yeh the coupe isnt known as a sexy car but thought i'd throw it in anyway

theres a couple of other primera's around the same price but it does seem a bit cheap, could probably look at a year or two older and have a wider choice.

Passat 1.6 has 100bhp which probably wouldnt make it the fastest car but i'd say it would be pretty adaquate.

the integra 1.6 only has about 120bho, i think, does anyone know for sure? but i think its around that which shouldnt be too hard to insure. its not for me anyway, its same as a 1.4 focus for me.

anyone else like to throw in their 2 cents?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭ds20prefecture

I'm just waiting for you to pick something so I can call it ugly....

I'm just waiting for you to pick something so I can call it ugly....
    mature, congratulations

whatever you avoid 1.6 Carismas, dependable enough but what a terrible car!

i'm actually now thinking of going all out on this and maybe go for a 02/03 Civic or Corolla, anyone any recommendations on these?

LundiMardi wrote:
    i'm actually now thinking of going all out on this and maybe go for a 02/03 Civic or Corolla, anyone any recommendations on these?

you won't go wrong with either of these

colm_mcm wrote:
    you won't go wrong with either of these

New type corolla is nicer than that version of the civic imo.

could get civic that bit cheaper with the arrival of the new version

only problem with the Corolla is that they're mostly base "Terra" spec, thinkk most Civic hatches have Aircon Alloys etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Heres a 99 model of my new baby: http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=275458

Trust me this car is one of the best on road to drive, all wheel drive 165bhp with heated Leather seats!

No Competition IMO :D

irish1 wrote:
    Heres a 99 model of my new baby: http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=275458

Trust me this car is one of the best on road to drive, all wheel drive 165bhp with heated Leather seats!

No Competition IMO :D

ME wrote:
    The only restriction i have is that it's no more than a 1.6 due to insurance reasons

horrible colour anyway, never been a fan

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Ah 1.6! ah well maybe in a few years, I actually love the color one of the reasons why I bought the same model and colour.

After driving an all wheel drive I don't think I could go back to a 2 wheel drive.

What about a Punto Sport they are a rocket??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,577 ✭✭✭maidhc

colm_mcm wrote:
    only problem with the Corolla is that they're mostly base "Terra" spec, thinkk most Civic hatches have Aircon Alloys etc.

Yes, and now Toyota refuse to sell the 1.4 D4D hatch in any other trim.... The Strata is gone (So I was told by a main dealer...).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

LundiMardi wrote:
    horrible colour anyway, never been a fan

Is that the same LundiMardi who's been lambasted in the "post a picture of your car here - part 3" thread for being...well... not quite a member of the car appreciation society, now wanting some opinions on YAE (yet-another-econobox)? :rolleyes:

What's wrong with your Punto? :)

ambro25 wrote:
    Is that the same LundiMardi who's been lambasted in the "post a picture of your car here - part 3" thread for being...well... not quite a member of the car appreciation society, now wanting some opinions on YAE (yet-another-econobox)? :rolleyes:

What's wrong with your Punto? :)
    i didn't realise i had to be a member of the stupid society for stupid people to buy a new car?

LundiMardi wrote:
    i didn't realise i had to be a member of the stupid society for stupid people to buy a new car?

am afraid ya do, come join us :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

LundiMardi wrote:

Well, to buy a new car I'm afraid you'd have to be. Possibly not so to buy a nearly-new or honest-to-goodness second-hand car.

But to request opinions from others, after you appear to have failed so completely to take anyone else's into account but your own (to which -notwithstanding- you're fully entitled, of course), it's not that big a step to surmise that you already are such a member.

At any rate, your reply just vindicates my oblique, but perfectly on-target, point :D

maidhc wrote:
    Yes, and now Toyota refuse to sell the 1.4 D4D hatch in any other trim.... The Strata is gone (So I was told by a main dealer...).

The D-4D strata was never a big seller. not surprising at €24,700 it was too close to a 1.6 Avensis in price. cracking car though

Advertisement