Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Right or wrong way ?

• 15-01-2006 5:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭

This might sound like a stupid question but here it goes.

Is there a right or wrong way to hold a guitar ? You know having the thumb higher up and pointing over the neck or in the middle of the neck ?

Or are this only used when say soloing (Higher up) and riff/chord playing (middle)
    Just noticed when watching other people play, I myself play with my thumb usualy in the middle.

I might be talking complete b0ll0cks but I was just wondering.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭munky

Depends on what you want to play.
    I like to have my thumb high up and sometimes over the top when playing chords, but when playing licks and the like I have my finger in the middle.
    Its more comfortable I find, and when I was learning I was told that was the way to do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭Duff_Man

yep im the same...for chords my thumb is on top pand for licks its in the middle...its more comfortable

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

I never put my thumb on top, but that may be due to my small, girlish hands and violin playing history (wherein your thumb should never be above the fingerboard).
    I just presume so long as it doesn't hurt your hand, and you can maintain dexterity, the like, it should be okay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Rustar

I think it's as simple as "diff'rent strokes for diff'rent pokes", i.e., different positions for different techniques.
    You can have your thumb up the back for thumb chording (outside chords), 3/4's up for blues or rock (to get that extra leverage for bending strings), planted in the middle of the neck for classical or metal shredding, or completely off the neck for 2hand tapping, 'Jeff Healey' (Hawaiian guitar) style, and harmonic runs.
    As you play higher on the neck you tend to pull the thumb off as well to keep the hand comfortable (especially if you don't have a cutaway heel-block).
    Whatever works, man! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭tripper

When you come into more technical music it will get awkard, best practice is to just try and keep the thumb down :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Thumbs up!! :D:D

If playin' the blues is wrong, then I don't wanna be right:o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭-=al=-

whatever happens.... happens :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭keyran

For want of a better word thumb right in the middle is the “proper” way to play. With the thumb in the middle practice will mean you can play anything and move quickly to the low and high strings.

The thumb up high dose make some styles a lot easier but it’s a really god habit to get into because when you start getting really technical you will find quick moments from the G B and high E strings top the low E A and D strings very difficult unless you have massive fingers.

Also if your playing with your finger positions correct for scales and stuff (a finger for every note ready to play) then the centred the thumb the better.

Advertisement