Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

women better drivers??

Options
  • 14-01-2006 11:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭

i was listening to the radio the other day and they were saying women are better drivers because they have less crashes compared to men. now this got me thinking this is based purely on crashes but how do women compare mile per mile to men?

when you take all professional drivers (taxi's/hackneys, truckers, bus drivers and sales reps most of these people are men) doing high milage i think the real answer would become clearer. what do u think??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

bop1977 wrote:
    i was listening to the radio the other day and they were saying women are better drivers because they have less crashes compared to men. now this got me thinking this is based purely on crashes but how do women compare mile per mile to men?

when you take all professional drivers (taxi's/hackneys, truckers, bus drivers and sales reps most of these people are men) doing high milage i think the real answer would become clearer. what do u think??

I read in a magazine last year, could've been any one, I was on a boat to France and had time to kill, that per mile women have more crashes, and cost more to pay out, but men drive more miles. That's one of the reason's for higher quotes for men

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

It all depends on what criteria are used to judge who is the better driver.

AFAIR the statistics show that womwn have more crashes but the claims are of a lower value overall then the smaller number of high cost claims that men do.

Mileage is not as well documented as other factors as insurance companies quote for a timeframe not distance driven. I am sure there is a huge difference in the average milage for men and women though. If it was worked out the difference in quotes could well be accounted for by the difference in average mileage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

People are better drivers than other people.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,396 ✭✭✭fletch

This thread should be closed....I've never heard anythin so ridiculous in all my life!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

hahaha , good one! - having just read the title and nothing else

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Statisticly, women drive less miles than men
    Statisticly, women have less crashes
    Statisticly, women are safer drivers

Logically, the more miles you drive, the higher chance you're going to crash

Realisticly, women are not safer drivers

Any more questions?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

bop1977 wrote:
    women better drivers?

NO!

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭FuzzyWuzzyWazza

JohnCleary wrote:
    Statisticly, women drive less miles than men
    Statisticly, women are safer drivers

Logically, the more miles you drive, the higher chance you're going to crash

Realisticly, women are not safer drivers

Any more questions?

Haha, gotta agree with JonhCleary, but as John R points out, i do remember seeing somewhere that women have more crashes then a comparative number of men, but that they are generally minor accidents and dings.

personally I know one woman who has had 3 crashes within the last yeah, the only other crash i have been witness to was when an old classmate (girl) drove into the side of my sisters car.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Women better drivers? In terms of accidents.... NO
    Women better drivers? In terms of Speed........ Maybe a YES
    Women better drivers? In terms of handling a car...... NO

So its a NO. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

I've been driving since 2000, bought my car with 54,000 on the clock.(Insurance - 3100punts)
    Now Im 26, 1 crash(paid for out of my own pocket), 179,000 on the clock.(Insurance - 600euro)
    I'm also not a taxi-driver.
    I'm also not a woman driver.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,396 ✭✭✭fletch

Personally I would rather be the passenger in a car with a man driving if he had to make some kind of evasive manouevre then with a woman driving. I think men react better to situations than women.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭boardy

bop1977 wrote:
    i was listening to the radio the other day and they were saying women are better drivers because they have less crashes compared to men.

Maybe, this is because women are the source of men crashing!

All kidding aside, I've seen some horrible instances of women not paying due attention to the road and the conditions. This is not a sexist comment but based on personal experiences on the road (i.e. women seem to be the majority in the careless drivers category).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

At the risk of this turning into a rant thread (we have a new sticky for that!) this very morning in Tesco car park I was on the main 'road' out heading towards a blind corner (at the petrol station for those who know Tesco on the Outer ring Road) when some daft bird in an old Renault Clio cut across the empty parking spaces and onto the oncoming lane but she was going in my direction! Towards that blind corner!! Grrrrrrrrrr. :mad:

Mike.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

As an over-generalisation of the people who have accidents..

Women have more accidents per mile, but men are more likely to write off the car and/or injure/kill someone when they have an accident. By some accounts the fastest drivers are young ladies on their own in a car.

IMHO Women are less likely to feel empathy for possible victims / less likely to understand the risks and so drive beyond their limit unintentinally. Whereas men are more likely to enjoy the risk by driving at what they think is their limit.

=================================================

Car Parking:

The smallest kerbside space successfully reversed into by a woman, was one of 19.36m equivalent to three standard parking spaces, by Mrs. Caroline Wizz (GB) driving an unmodified Vauxhall Nova Swing on 12th October 1993. She started the manoeuvre at 11:15am in Ropergate, Pontefract and successfully parked within three feet of the pavement, 8 hours 14mins later. There was slight damage to the bumpers and wings of her own and the two adjoining cars, as well as shop frontage and two lampposts.

Incorrect Driving:

The longest journey completed with the handbrake on, was one of 313 miles from Stranraer to Hollyhead, by Dr. Julie Thorn, at the wheel of a Saab 900 on 2nd April 1987. Dr. Thorn smelled burning two miles into her journey at Aird, but pressed on to Hollyhead with smoke billowing from the rear wheels. This journey also holds the records for the longest completed with the choke fully out and the right indicator flashing.

Traffic Light Cosmetics:

The longest spell spent oblivious to traffic lights whilst applying make up was one of 1hr 51mins 38secs. by Miss J. Dobson at a road junction in the centre of Preston on the 1st August 1975. Miss Dobson, a piano teacher, beautified herself through 212 cycles of the light, creating a tailback of irate motorists stretching 28 miles towards Leeds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Great research Cap'n :D

• Registered Users Posts: 78,352 ✭✭✭✭Victor

fletch wrote:
    Personally I would rather be the passenger in a car with a man driving if he had to make some kind of evasive manouevre then with a woman driving. I think men react better to situations than women.
    Ah, but if you actually crash, its safer for the driver to be a woman.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

I had the pleasure last year of dining with a gentleman who is rather highly ranked in Hibernian insurance.

Obviously I took the opportunity to quiz him as to his logic behind the immediate hike in an insurance quote just based on the driver’s gender.

His answer was quite simple;
    Statistically, claims made by men cost on average three times (i think it was 3 times?) more to settle than claims made by women.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Boggle

Statistically, claims made by men cost on average three times (i think it was 3 times?) more to settle than claims made by women.
    WHich men?? Black men, white men, unemployed men, blond men.... Why the flock should I be penalised because it is handy for the insurance company to group me statistically with a few morons...?? Let them use proper statictical analysis and open up the core data so that we can analyse it ouselves and ensure that we are not getting shafted?

I mean we dont even know what %age of crashes are caused by provisional drivers so how can they claim to have done a proper analysis??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭OMcGovern

In the same way we have "L-plates" for Learners, I think we should have
    "W-plates" for women drivers, and maybe "O-plates" for old people > 60 years.

regards,
    Owen

• Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

JohnCleary wrote:

They don't have less crashes. They just have lower insurance claims.

Women are 10 times more likely to hit a stationary object. When's the last time a tree leapt out at you?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

“Oh, people can come up with statistics to prove anything, Kent. 14% of people know that.” - Homer Simpson

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Women are 10 times more likely to hit a stationary object. When's the last time a tree leapt out at you?

Brilliant...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

Somehow, when I read that I pictured a conifer, standing in the path of an oncoming car cheekily saying "aha, have at you, you swine!"

Curse those cheeky carefree conifers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭OMcGovern

I submit this as "Exhibit A" :D

http://www.break.com/index/tollboothdummy.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Does anyone remember the ITV program they done about a year ago now to see how was the better drivers, when it came to the Rules of the Road.

They took 50 men and 50 women and as the show was live viewers cud txt in the answers to the questions as well....

End of a long story...the lads won.

Men are the better drivers.

Advertisement