Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Transfer of NCB from another country?

Options
  • 14-01-2006 6:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭

Will Irish insurance companies accept letters confirming no claims from other countries in the EU? I have five years of no claims and it'd be a shame to see that go :(.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Yep, I had no problem moving from Holland, although some insurance companies were a little reticent. I went through a broker the first time I got insurance here, and they did all the phoning round for me. . Make sure the letter is from the insurance company themselves (i.e. not a broker), on proper headed paper, and, of course, in English. One problem is that in some countries they don't work with claim-free years per se, but with a percentage discount, rather than the number of claim-free years, so make sure they mention that also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭IDMUD

Alun wrote:
    Yep, I had no problem moving from Holland, although some insurance companies were a little reticent. I went through a broker the first time I got insurance here, and they did all the phoning round for me. . Make sure the letter is from the insurance company themselves (i.e. not a broker), on proper headed paper, and, of course, in English. One problem is that in some countries they don't work with claim-free years per se, but with a percentage discount, rather than the number of claim-free years, so make sure they mention that also.

Sounds great. I can have my insurance company issue me a customized letter stating whatever the irish insurance company will want to know. Like I said I've driven performance cars for five years and not caused as much as a scratch. Giving it up and be regarded as a boy racer in his mid 20's would just suck arse :(

• Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭Alun

IDMUD wrote:
    Sounds great. I can have my insurance company issue me a customized letter stating whatever the irish insurance company will want to know. Like I said I've driven performance cars for five years and not caused as much as a scratch. Giving it up and be regarded as a boy racer in his mid 20's would just suck arse :(
    I doubt that'd make a scrap of difference to be honest. Some insurance companies here have a very peculiar idea of what constitutes a performance car anyway :)

Alun wrote:
    I doubt that'd make a scrap of difference to be honest. Some insurance companies here have a very peculiar idea of what constitutes a performance car anyway :)

Nah but you get my point :)

The NCB really makes a huge difference, for starters I'm not even going to be insured on a r33 gt-r skyline unless I have 3+ years of it :<

• Registered Users Posts: 78,315 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Just have the insurance company specify what models you have been insured on.

Is Dutch insurance based on the car or the driver?

• Advertisement

Victor wrote:
    Just have the insurance company specify what models you have been insured on.

Is Dutch insurance based on the car or the driver?

Ok, that's great that it can be done. Like I said I can have my insurance company state whatever information the Irish one may want to know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭shabbyroad

I was able to take my NCB from the USA. I was with PMPA at the time and they also took my left-hand drive car and they accepted my US license and Irish provisional until I was able to do the Irish test.

Don't know if that still works though - this was about 11-12 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,315 ✭✭✭✭Victor

IDMUD wrote:
    Ok, that's great that it can be done. Like I said I can have my insurance company state whatever information the Irish one may want to know.
    No, I'm not saying it can be done, I'm simply suggesting that as a way of satisfying them.

Advertisement