Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Halfrauds ! (auto-trans fluid)

Options
  • 13-01-2006 4:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭

What's the going rate for auto-gearbox fluid ?

Looked online at a not-always-cheap retailer for classic cars - £2 per 0.5L (about €3)

Went to Halfords in Blanch - €10 for 0.5L ?!

Would be interesting to know if anyone bought fluid recently and what the price was. I need about 6L of the stuff, so it *does* make a bit of sense to me to shop around.

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

like all oils it depends on the many factors such as the grade, the manufacturer, the buying market, etc.
    I have bought from Simon (aka oilman on many forums from www.opieoils.co.uk - he will provide good advice and cheap quality oils

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭franksm

(CLASS URL !! Thanks for that ! Interesting guages there too )

I'm not as knowledgable about gearbox oils as I am about engine oils so tend just to go by the GL/standards number or whatever that is.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Email them (tell them I referred you [not that I get anything]) - they will advise you on what is best for your car!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

franksm wrote:

Was that the correct price? I bought anti freeze in there that was cheaper than the advertised price. But if it was I wouldn't be surprised though, that place is just like the motoring version of Woodies charging huge prices for the DIY market.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭ds20prefecture

LHM is €7.50 per litre in any decent motor factors. LHM is much rarer than ATF and of much higher specification in terms of viscosity and temperature response.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

I've found Halfords expensive but you gotta admit it's a nifty store :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

franksm wrote:
    What's the going rate for auto-gearbox fluid ?

Looked online at a not-always-cheap retailer for classic cars - £2 per 0.5L (about €3)

Would be interesting to know if anyone bought fluid recently and what the price was. I need about 6L of the stuff, so it *does* make a bit of sense to me to shop around.

What vehicle/AT are you using this for. and it depends.

Dexron or Mercon are pretty Cheap, relatively speaking.
    manufacturer blended special ATF's about twice that and some of the modern Synth ATF's used in electronic AT's are 3~5 times the cost of Dexron.
    Put (any amount of) the older & cheaper ATF's into a new sped AT and you could be saying Bye Bye to your AT in about 10Kmls.

So what recommended for your AT?.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭franksm

AMurphy wrote:
    What vehicle/AT are you using this for. and it depends.

It's TQF spec fluid for a Borg-Warner transmission in a Triumph Stag. Standard enough fluid. Halfords did have other types in stock (can't remember the spec name) and they were €9.99 too.

Yeah, nifty store, great for browsing for bits and pieces. Less intimidating than "real" motor factors ;-) as it's set up more like a MacDonalds or whatever

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

1975. Dexron and Mercon were pretty much the std back then.
    check the A/T dipstick if it has one. You often find the ATF spec stamped on it.

Synth did not appear until about 1990.

Advertisement