Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Rip Off Petrol

Options
  • 13-01-2006 12:51pm
    Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I have been keeping a bit of an eye on it recently waiting for it to change and it hasn't.
    Statoil on Dublin's South Quays is ripping people off for fuel. Petrol is 120.9/L and diesel is 114.9. Needless to say the daft Irish public are still buying there!
    Its on the irishfuelprices.com site now.
    Anyone know of somewhere more expensive?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

In any other location I'd imagine there would be tumbleweed blowing across the forecourt.

I was driving from Templeogue to Mallow in Cork during the week and left here with the fuel light about to come on. I knew the Esso on the N4 in palmerstown was 102.9 but didn't really want to go out of my way, figuring there would be some on the Naas road, or outside the city around that price. I ran out of range at Durrow in Co. Laois, 104.9 being the best closer to the city and the prices only going up after that. In Durrow I ran out of choices and half filled the tank at 110.9! Was raging. Then a few miles down the road at Cullahill the price suddenly dropped to 102.9, and to 101.8 in Urlingford, Kilkenny, a short time later, before starting to go up again towards Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭andrew1977

it could be worse ...a lot worse
    i was working in rotterdam before xmas and unleaded was 1.32 euro per litre,speaking to the taxi man on the way to the airport,i commented on it and he said its because the government put so much tax on it .

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

andrew1977 wrote:
    it could be worse ...a lot worse
    i was working in rotterdam before xmas and unleaded was 1.32 euro per litre,speaking to the taxi man on the way to the airport,i commented on it and he said its because the government put so much tax on it .
    Im not complaining so much about the cost of petrol but the fact that this place is chargine 10-20cent per litre more than the average.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

kbannon wrote:
    Petrol is 120.9/L and diesel is 114.9. Needless to say the daft Irish public are still buying there!

Any time I drive past it, the forecourt is empty, they used to be cheap for petrol & diesel too. I'd say anyone that pulls in there is more than likely badly stuck.

Don't know of anywhere more expensive than that, unless you head north of the border.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

The Texaco beside the Skylon Hotel on Drumcondra Road is hugely expensive.
    I've seen diesel there recently for €1.22/litre. It's a kip as well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭iregk

anybody see the news last night. the fuel that runs in normal diesel cars (petrol cars need a €1,900 adjustment) but its made out of plant extract!!!

its brilliant there was a garage selling it for €1 a liter and apparently its even more env friendly than regular diesel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

iregk wrote:
    anybody see the news last night. the fuel that runs in normal diesel cars (petrol cars need a €1,900 adjustment) but its made out of plant extract!!!

its brilliant there was a garage selling it for €1 a liter and apparently its even more env friendly than regular diesel.

Seen that, but wasnt it just in that garage in Cork or somewhere? was kind of half watching while on PC. Bloke that used to work in Dell was doing the petrol change overs

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

impr0v wrote:
    In any other location I'd imagine there would be tumbleweed blowing across the forecourt.

I was driving from Templeogue to Mallow in Cork during the week and left here with the fuel light about to come on. I knew the Esso on the N4 in palmerstown was 102.9 but didn't really want to go out of my way, figuring there would be some on the Naas road, or outside the city around that price. I ran out of range at Durrow in Co. Laois, 104.9 being the best closer to the city and the prices only going up after that. In Durrow I ran out of choices and half filled the tank at 110.9! Was raging. Then a few miles down the road at Cullahill the price suddenly dropped to 102.9, and to 101.8 in Urlingford, Kilkenny, a short time later, before starting to go up again towards Cork.

Don't know if it's still there but there used to be a small fuel only station just before the traffic lights on the way into Michelstown, was always the cheapest on the Dublin - Cork road.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

iregk wrote:

Rapeseed oil based.

The garage in the report was selling it for much less than that, it was something in the 80c region.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

el tel wrote:
    It hits all the tourists heading back to the Airport who have to return the car with a full tank. Just look at the 3 ststions on the Old Airport Road- All inflated prices.

It'a Gas ( get it :D:D:D ) I heard a woman on the radio a while back saying how is it more expensive in different stations sure €20 of petrol is the same everywhere!:o :o:o:o

• Advertisement

Big Nelly wrote:
    Seen that, but wasnt it just in that garage in Cork or somewhere? was kind of half watching while on PC. Bloke that used to work in Dell was doing the petrol change overs

yeah thats the one, no idea where the garage is but if that takes off we could be on a nice little winner here! the plant in question is very easy to grow in ireland so the farmers may have something else to look into rather than moaning about everythign these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

iregk wrote:
    yeah thats the one, no idea where the garage is but if that takes off we could be on a nice little winner here! the plant in question is very easy to grow in ireland so the farmers may have something else to look into rather than moaning about everythign these days.

Well all the plant they are using is already all grown by Irish farmers so if it takes off then it will mean more farmers will be able to grow it. Must have chat with bro/father. Could be a nice little earner! :D

exactly thats what im saying. it could very well be another avanue of income other than live stock etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

el tel wrote:

Sounds like the infamous one attached to a Renault dealership? Whenever the topic of petrol prices is on RTE news, this garage has an awful habit of being filmed!

Blatent rip off, but not until people start boycotting these garages, will something be done about pricing.

I was driving by the Statoil on the quays today that kbanon is talking about and I counted 2 HGV's, 1 Van and 1 family car filling up :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭vorbis

Is that the one in Ballyhea I think? There's a station you pass on the way to Limerick from Cork that sells PPO biofuel. I woudln't recommend modifying a petrol engine to use diesel! I doubt it would handle the temperatures needed.

edit:
    Just googled it. The 1900 euro adjustment is for diesel cars as the stuff is vegetable oil not biodiesel.
    iregk wrote:

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Altreab

ciarsd wrote:
    Sounds like the infamous one attached to a Renault dealership? Whenever the topic of petrol prices is on RTE news, this garage has an awful habit of being filmed!

Blatent rip off, but not until people start boycotting these garages, will something be done about pricing.

I was driving by the Statoil on the quays today that kbanon is talking about and I counted 2 HGV's, 1 Van and 1 family car filling up :eek:

Ah but the HGV's more than likely have DCI cards or similar that allow them to buy diesel at any DCI station in the country for a fixed price regardless of where the diesel is bought :) The Garage would only get around a cent a litre for pumping it :)

More importantly is has anyone noticed that since the beginning of last year most diesel/petrol stations started selling diesel/petrol at the same price? This even though diesel has 6 cent a Litre less Excise duty on it than petrol. Its straight forward price gouging on diesel prices by the big oil companies!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭ds20prefecture

Altreab wrote:
    More importantly is has anyone noticed that since the beginning of last year most diesel/petrol stations started selling diesel/petrol at the same price? This even though diesel has 6 cent a Litre less Excise duty on it than petrol. Its straight forward price gouging on diesel prices by the big oil companies!!
    Yes - despite running 2 petrol cars, i've noticed this. I agree it's nought but gouging. The UK are charging more for diseasel than petrol, but they charge more excise.

Personally, i believe all tax/tolls/VRT/excise should be paid at the pump. It's the fairest system, in that those who use the roads will pay most. It would encourage use of more economical, low CO2 vehicles (like the lotus elise!) while at the same time encouraging car sales (VRT), reducing congestion (tolls) and closing loopholes (classic car road tax).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Personally, i believe all tax/tolls/VRT/excise should be paid at the pump. It's the fairest system

That's more or less the way it is here in France. Today a litre of 95 Ron is 116.3c/litre in my local Elf station. Does that make you feel better or does it just highlight how far up the Khyber the motorist is taking it in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

In my experience most people don't know how much they pay for petrol, the MPG, how much it cost them annually or what the price at the pump is.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,228 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Personally, i believe all tax/tolls/VRT/excise should be paid at the pump

I couldn't possibly agree more! Unfortunately this is not a realistic option from a political point of view. My oracle tells me petrol would be about €3.00 per liter if this would be implemented in a budget-neutral manner

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Would that include the €2,700,000,000 tax rake that the Govt didn't expect?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭ds20prefecture

unkel wrote:
    I couldn't possibly agree more! Unfortunately this is not a realistic option from a political point of view. My oracle tells me petrol would be about €3.00 per liter if this would be implemented in a budget-neutral manner
    OT RANT/soapbox.

Implicit in the meaning of the word "political" is "chosen by the people". The problem is democracy sucks, and the people only choose the pitch/spin that doesn't hurt, so scum-in-suits can play them like fiddles.

I'm told about 60c of the current petrol price is tax. I'm also told the revenue from fuel contributes about 50% of current tax. The €3 doesn't add up.

Make the fuel €2.00 per litre, kill NTR, kill road tax, VRT, even VAT on cars and you're tax revenues are UP 40%. AND you've got the motorists vote because you've given them exactly what they asked for. That's 1.2million (or something like that) potential voters.

Now start fine tuning. Commercial diesel should be half taxed. Commercial bio-fuels tax free. Commercial hybrids 25% taxed.

Taxis pay either half what everyone else pays if they're good, or triple if they start whinging again. Use a fuel card scheme to control this.

Company cars should be encouraged. Remove BIK. Get people into fabulous cars and driving - it's all revenue at the end of the day. Can you imagine government advertisements begging us to drive 19mpg DSs, 740is, RX8s, Elise 190s, M5s, etc.

People can decide whether they can afford the car on a mile by mile basis, rather than some bullsh1t 5 year finance deal. People would be spending capital, and not be in debt. This is good news for the economy.

Mostly it would allow people to THINK on a journey-by-journey basis. Mike's electric scooter would be everywhere, and I wouldn't have any traffic on the way to work (those scooters are no match for a stainless steel bumper, I tells ya). People would start using the train. I did this recently - I wasn't stabbed, infected witht he flu or crowded. It was a very pleasant 30 minutes (compared to 40 dull minutes in traffic)

Personally, I can't think of a single downside. Got a car you're looking to sell? Worried that it might lose value if a new one is suddenly cheaper? Screw you! Stop whinging, the car you'll buy will be cheaper too. Better yet - DON'T SELL IT!!! Cars are more reliable than ever, we're all supposed to be recycling, and yet most people I know change their cars every 3 to 5 years. I certainly did, until recently. I'd love to see how long it would take someone to drive a well serviced Avensis diesel into the ground.

/soapbox

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭bmoferrall

As a high-tax, low-mileage (and V#-loving) driver I heartily endorse this proposal.
    I think the average pol is suspicious of simple and elegant solutions though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭zod

agree completely, if we move to the tax on fuel.. we then tax people who drive more than people who don't .. this is much more equitable.
    Commercial bio-fuels tax free

Some farmers are currently paid to produce nothing or subsidised to produce food we don't need ( in Europe ), incentivise bio-fuel production and cut all other food related crop subsidies and this will have many beneficial effects ... not limited to

1. increase local security of supply
    2. give the third world countries a fighting chance at self sufficiency ( producing food for the west at a decent price)
    3. be better for the enviornment.

No brainer IMHO :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 78,352 ✭✭✭✭Victor

kbannon wrote:
    Statoil on Dublin's South Quays is ripping people off for fuel. ..... Anyone know of somewhere more expensive?
    I wonder how much rent they are paying for a site like that. If it was such a rip-off why are all the other companies closing their city centre stations?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,800 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

The garage beside Blanch Renault is always overpriced.

Incidentially, I've heard mention a few times of a new Tesco garage going up in Navan. Any truth to this and/or an ETA?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

zod wrote:
    Some farmers are currently paid to produce nothing or subsidised to produce food we don't need ( in Europe ), incentivise bio-fuel production and cut all other food related crop subsidies and this will have many beneficial effects ... not limited to
    A lot of fuel goes into food especially in places where animals are factory farmed because you have to add in the pesticide and fertiliser used for their feed. And all the transport.

A lot of the "green revolution" is about getting higher yields by use of petrochemical intensive methods. So it ain't sustainable.

Now the conspiracy theory. The Saudis have so much invested in the west that it's in their interest to keep oil prices low so their investments do well. Thatcher & co. used scottish oil to keep interest rates high so their cronies could make on the interest. A lot of countries with oil are worse off than if they had none because of the bribery and the difficulty in making money by other means. Imagine if the oil ran out tomorrow in Nigeria.
    Even Iran isn't allowed persue alternative energy. :v:

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Victor wrote:
    I wonder how much rent they are paying for a site like that. If it was such a rip-off why are all the other companies closing their city centre stations?
    I have no idea but for a long time they were quite competitive for their petrol prices but when the price rises came in 2005 their prices went up but never came down. Other petrol stations (e.g. the one on james St) managed to bring their prices down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭whizzbang

Most expensive petrol I can find in the pumps.ie database is that Statoil on Ushers Key at 120.9, well done lads, looks like you are the most expensive in the Country!

Next is Campus on Kilkenny Rd in Ballyraggetat 118.9 followed by 114.9 in Kellys/Texaco, William Street, Tullamore

anyone know any more expensive?

J

• Advertisement
Advertisement