Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Cause of Dim Dashboard Lights

Options
  • 13-01-2006 11:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hi Guys and Gals

Does anyone know what might be the cause of my dashboard lights on my renault clio being really, really dim?

Unlike other models my car doesnt have one of those wheelie things to adjust
    the intensity of the lights

I have my NCT coming up so am a weeee bit scared that it might be a battery problem or a blown blub or somethin?

Any ideas?

Cheers folks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭franksm

Hi Nikki

How old is your Clio ? The bulbs can go dim over time - guess if your car is less than 8 yrs old you can ignore that. Are there any bulbs blown in the dash ?

Also - are there any other electrical problems with the car - eg. does the radio cut out when you're stuck in traffic, or do the windscreen wipers go more slowly than they should ?

If the battery on your car is old, maybe figure on replacing it - they tend to last 5 to 8 yrs as far as I can see. I had a problem on my MX5 - everything worked fine, lights, horn, blower, radio, wipers, etc - except one day the engine turned over at normal speed but would not "catch". Turned out that the battery was powerful enough to turn the engine but was just not powerful enough to disengage the immobiliser relay. Point is: it might all look okay, but the battery fault can show up somewhere unexpected.

Anyway, for the NCT they will not check the dash illumination - they only really check that the ABS warning lamp comes on and goes off, and that sort of thing.

Frank

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 nikki2006

Thanx a mill for the reply! I got it in 2000, dont think any bulbs in the dash have blown as there is light there, its just really dim.

Have no other electrical probs with the car at all thats why this seems so strange.........

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Hi there,

Are you absolutely certain there's no adjustment for the dash lighting? They can sometimes be very well hidden.. What year and model is the car?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭PaddyFagan

nikki2006 wrote:
    Thanx a mill for the reply! I got it in 2000, dont think any bulbs in the dash have blown as there is light there, its just really dim.

Have no other electrical probs with the car at all thats why this seems so strange.........
    Are you sure there is no adjuster - I'm pretty sure my 98 clio had one.....

Paddy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

My Clio 1994 had dashboard adjuster you could off knock it when your getting out.

It was around the area to your right where you adjust the head light beam up or down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

Yeah they have a rheostat knob on the steering column somewhere if I recall correctly !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭OMcGovern

The NCT test your car in the harsh bright light of the testing lanes anyways.
    They probably wouldn't notice a dimly lit dashboard.

Advertisement