Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop Keyboard Failure

Options
  • 13-01-2006 7:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Has anyone any idea why a laptop keyboard would fail in the middle of typing a normal sentence? The user had windows updates running at the time so we're not sure if that had anything to do with it (doubt it though). She was in the middle of typing a sentence with windows updating in the background & the keyboard just froze. Trackpad works fine, just no keyboard! :confused: Restarting doesn't help, no hardware faults in device manager, chenging keyboard language etc doesn't work... Run out of ideas..!

It's a fairly old Dell, I'll ask her the make & model if that helps.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭daywalker

Have you tried removing the keyboard in device manager, then restarting to see if windows picks it up properly again?

THe only other thing to try would be to check the connection cable between the keyboard and the mainboard inside, it might have jarred loose or be making/breaking connection somehow, which maybe why windows still detects it

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Do any keys work?
    Was there ever and damage to the keyboard (liquid spillage, for example)?
    When did it start to happen?
    What does the Process Manager state (CPU,etc.)?

• Registered Users Posts: 38 the muffin man

Lol! YOu won't believe this: turns out the girl in question fecked the laptop onto her bed the next day & it started working again! :D Thanks for the ideas people, it sounds like what daywalker said, it's probably a loose connection somewhere. When I get my hands on it I'll have a look. Thanks folks! ;)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Most probably what happened was a key got jammed. On the old Dells you often may not notice it. Glad that its back working again.

S

Advertisement