Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Key Snapped In Ignition

Options
  • 12-01-2006 11:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24

I drive a 01 Astra and have a problem.

I picked up my keys earlier and noticed half the car key missing - found out later that the half that is missing is still in the ignition of the car. About half an inch (maybe a bit less) has snapped off inside the ignition lock.

I need to know if anyone has had any experience of same/similar problem and has anyone got any suggestions regards sorting it. I have another set but obviously they won't work at the moment so I need ideas for getting it sorted in the morning

:mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Got a jewelers size screwdriver by any chance? You might just be able to slide it in and wiggle the key end out. Surprised you got caught out, as a rule when keys go bad you get some warning before the break.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

assuming the two ends meet, clean one end up and appy a very small amount of superglue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Another 'glue' is that metal-like filler stuff the name of which I've just forgotten. Its quite sticky and if left to set should work. If you use that be careful not to glue the whole key in the barrel though!

http://www.loctiteproducts.com/repairs.asp?qfid=5&Product=653

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

I'd have thought glue+lock=potential for massive grief.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

There is the other option of simply leaving the bit that is stuck in there, in there, and in the meanwhile getting a replacement key and tumbler.
    Garages can obtain the exact match of the one you have and need for the key in question.
    Why did it break, Was it sticking?. If it was, then it will probably still stick even with a new key.

I had that happen recently, but it ws the whole key sheared and got stuck in the slot.
    Fortunately there was just enough to grab with a small pliars. but I have to call the wife to come rescue me, bring the spare key and my small tool box...
    After that it was easy to disassemble and repair the lock. Cost about $35 in all for the parts, did the work myself.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

datsright1 wrote:
    I drive a 01 Astra and have a problem.
    I need to know if anyone has had any experience of same/similar problem and has anyone got any suggestions regards sorting it. I have another set but obviously they won't work at the moment so I need ideas for getting it sorted in the morning

:mad:

Stick the other half of the key in and turn, it'll probably start anyway.

Drive your car to your friendly lock-smith, he'll be able to take out the barrel and remove the broken bit of key, it'd be cheaper than going to your main dealer and buying new key's and barrel. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,294 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Take off the cowl around the steering wheel, take out the ignition barrel and see if you can push the remainder of the key from the other side. I really wouldn't put superglue into the barrel if I were you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭david powell

Had the same problem on a friends Alfa 146 boot lock.

Managed to unbolt the lock and get it to a lock smith. The lock smith was able to fish out the other 1/2 of the key. He then clamped the 2 halfs together and cut a new one. He didn't charge alot as my friend was able to drop the lock into him and pick it up again.

Not sure how easy it is to remove the barrel, but if you could i'd say that would be a good bet.

Hope that's of some help,
    Dave.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

You will need to undo the cowls around the lock. Then put in the rest of the jkey and turn it to the first position. If you look around the outside of the lock housing you will see a tiny hole, insert a needle or similar into this and the assembly will pop out.

This wilkl allow you to examine the item on a bench and you may be able to withdraw the rest of the key, or at least bring it to a locksmith. Worst case bring it to a delaer who can order you a new lock to suit the original key !

Good luck !

Advertisement