Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

French people?

Options
  • 12-01-2006 9:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭

I'm curious, I'd like to know what image you have of France and of French people? Because I have an American friend who told me that we are know for being rude. And it's also said that we stink...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭OSiriS

Most foreign people seem to have a very high opinion of irish people, but take a wander through dublin city centre and you might wonder what they are thinking. American people in general just have a thing against the french so I wouldn't trust their judgement on the matter. You will find the same in most countries, there is a wide variety of personalities. Having lived in France for a while I have found them friendly for the most part, although many working in stores and the like just seem like they don't want to be there. I also found the people in the south of the country alot friendlier than those in Paris.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Omnipresence

I have found with a lot of places in Europe that once they find out im actually Irish and not English (just because im speaking english to them) that they react very differntly !! Found this a lot in France, Holland and Germany

-Alan

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭daiixi

I've found most French people really friendly and helpful (although you do of course get horrible people everywhere). Am heading to Paris next weekend to catch up with a French friend and can't wait. One thing I've found with most foreigners in their own country is that they react better to you the harder you try with their language instead of assuming that they can speak English!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭dédé

OSiriS wrote:
    Most foreign people seem to have a very high opinion of irish people, but take a wander through dublin city centre and you might wonder what they are thinking. American people in general just have a thing against the french so I wouldn't trust their judgement on the matter. You will find the same in most countries, there is a wide variety of personalities. Having lived in France for a while I have found them friendly for the most part, although many working in stores and the like just seem like they don't want to be there. I also found the people in the south of the country alot friendlier than those in Paris.

Well thanx... I don't live in Paris but a little bit further north and it's not a impression, people are friendlier in province than in Paris. Even with French people so no wonder why we suffer this image because most of the tourists stay in Paris.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

ive know french ppl who fit the stereotype - ie rude and arrogant and ive also know french ppl who were the complete opposite. Your american friend has either met very few french ppl or is just unlucky an keeps meeting asses.

Are you one of the rude,smelly ones :)

And just to add to the english/irish when abroad - my dad was in france in a small little pub where they wouldnt serve or talk to him until he explained he was Irish and not English

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭dédé

voxpop wrote:
    ive know french ppl who fit the stereotype - ie rude and arrogant and ive also know french ppl who were the complete opposite. Your american friend has either met very few french ppl or is just unlucky an keeps meeting asses.

Are you one of the rude,smelly ones :)

No I don't smell and I'm very nice if you're nice to me.
    As for my friend it was not what he thought but what Americans think in general.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

France's culture is completely different to Ireland's, and the french view of life is completely different too. Once you factor that in and get used to it, the French are as nice a people as you'll come across.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Shortnose

I adore France and thoroughly felt at 'home' in Paris! Everyone was very nice to me there and I even received 2 compliments on my French (!?!) from 2 different French people.

Now I cannot remember doodley squat. I guess I better brush up on French quick before I return.

Paris is filled with 'eye-candy'. Everywhere one looks there is some gorgeous detail or another. The aesthetics of Paris is just divine.

I also went to Saumur and to Reims. In Saumur, I went to photograph a chateau for a company in the US (not as a professional photographer, mind you - more of a 'favor' since I was going to be there anyway). The cab driver and his girlfriend, who was with him, were very helpful. In Reims, I found the same thing - everyone kind and helpful.

Of course, I did my best to communicate in French.

I met a great group of students in Paris and had a wonderfully bizarre time with them at a bar - which turned out to be a gay-punk bar! What a hoot! We danced the night away and I had my first ever kiss from a Frenchman. :-P

Ah, well. The truth of the matter is the 'general' notion in the US of the French is they are "rude, snobbish, arrogant, even 'cowardly' (since the Iraq war)... I mean, come on! They even changed the name of French Fries to Freedom Fries on Capitol Hill (Congress) when the French wouldn't back us up. How silly was that? They even started boycotting French food and wine. Again, how ridiculous! I've heard the same bit about how the French are "smelly" and don't bathe everyday. I knew a woman who went to Montpelier to summer school and she said the French professors wore the same clothes every day (?!?!)

I have a friend who lives in Paris. She's does translation work. She struggles with life there. I cannot imagine why!?! But it is very different working in a place from just visiting. I had the same experience working/living in Dublin. I found myself looking out the window and thinking "a city is a city is a city".

Ah, well. I'd go to France tomorrow if I could and I'd drink in every stunning aspect of life there. I have found myself spending HOURS over the past weeks pouring over apartment rentals in Paris and gites elsewhere in France.

I guess I'm gearing up to return, eh? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

I have no problems with them. I am treated much better however as soon as the find out I'm Irish not English.

Is it just me or does everyone learn how to say "I'm Irish not English" in the language of the country that we visit? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭lazydaisy

Im american but ive never encountered rudeness in France at least not to my knowledge. I found the people in the south to very warm and generous and have always enjoyed myself there especially in the south.

But I have heard some people compain about Paris being a rude city, especially the waiters, but I dont know how many people in this day and age judge an entire nation on the behavior of a handful of service staff.

Considering how scary the air hostesses on aerlingus are, Ireland would be in big trouble if people generalised to that extent.:eek:

All these anecdotes of being treated badly or ignored when perceived to be English doesn't do much for the reputation of the French for being racists.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Bias against the English is not racism. It's perfectly normal and natural for most of the world.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭coyote6

I live in the midwestern USA and there is a negative association about the French. It is a stereotype similar to the negative impression the "rude American" gives us. It is human nature I suppose. I can tell you that the French I've met have been nice and nice smelling. I think that when we get over ourselves we can all get along better. After all... do we really have any control over what our governments do? Aren't we all people put where we're put and trying to get by? Dont we all love our families and our kids etc. etc.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

I love French people. The women are so feminine, intelligent, loyal. The males are highy pretentious and arrogant, BUT, they have their own minds and try to be individuals.

One thing I've noticed from being there: they may be a little cold on the street, but in the niteclubs they're wild...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

loyal?

you keep em as pets do you?

as with any culture, i have met nice and not so nice french people.

i dont think nationality has anything to do with people being stupid.
    and i have found belgians to be the most ignorant and arrogant people i have met. i dont actually think ive ever met a nice one.
    although im sure there may be one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭DilbertPartII

lazydaisy wrote:
    Considering how scary the air hostesses on aerlingus are, Ireland would be in big trouble if people generalised to that extent.:eek:

Ahh Aer Lingus, the only airline I've ever travelled on where they actually make you pay for the in-flight snacks... :( Weclome to Ireland...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭dundalk cailin

Been living in the south of France for close to 6 months now, i found the way of life here totally different at the beginning, but i have to say the french people are laid back and friendly in these parts, and as others mentioned, once i say im irish, they're loving it! My french classmates are eager to visit ireland, they rave about it :? :) they especially like the beautiful countryside of the west..(their words not mine!) and of course i get asked by every new person...So do the irish really drink a lot!? that said, some of the french could drink the irish under the table :D
    Im heading to Paris for a day or two during my upcoming hols, cant wait, its one place ive always wanted to visit!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Samhildanach

God I love France! I've done some intensive travel including some wild trips around France (plane, train, boat, bus, hiking) - the people were great, the food amazing, the countryside beautiful. The French people are pretty quirky which adds to the flavour and the experience. God I met some crazy characters (good crazy) and was welcomed to many people's homes for dinner (eating dinner in France is a ritual which can last for many hours). I can't wait to return.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭spuddy

...My french classmates are eager to visit ireland, they rave about it :? :) they especially like the beautiful countryside of the west..(their words not mine!)

its the "lacs du connemara" syndrome :D ...everyone has it over here

spuddy wrote:
    its the "lacs du connemara" syndrome :D ...everyone has it over here
    Sad misguided people :rolleyes: :D

But seriously ive only heard good things bout Ireland and the Irish!
    Oh and apparently my french accent is 'cute' :o;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,404 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

I think French people are nice but sure U will always get rude people...French, Irish, American etc..but all in all I have nothing bad to say against French people..mind you I have only been in Paris...I loved the city so much I ran the Paris Marathon twice (2004 & 2005). People say that Parisians can be rude etc but I was overwhelmed by the warm support they offered during the marathon!

Also I like the French because they emit a sense of indpendence and confidence and pride in their culture and nationality. Oh yeah, there are some great musicians to come out of France...Jarre, Air, Daft Punk, MC Solar etc..oh yes and Audrey Tautou hails from there also which makes France excellent!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Peaadina

Iv met some lovely French People. But there is the stereotype of them being rude arrogant etc. I had never really experienced a French person that fit the bill until this year. There are about 5 French people who work near me/with me. And I dislike them all intensely. 1 in particular. But I think Id dislike her if she was american or Irish or Spanish!
    Shes v. Pro French and condescending. She thinks that people are "intimidated" by the french as they are all so "sophisticated and educated".
    Seriously she is doing damage to the French image for me!
    ;)
    But then people think were friendly and lovely here in ireland. Its a rare thing to find anyone like that in Dublin. Nowegians now, there is a friendly people!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

i was in marseilles a few years back, that town is ghetto.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

déd&#233 wrote:
    I'm curious, I'd like to know what image you have of France and of French people? Because I have an American friend who told me that we are know for being rude. And it's also said that we stink...
    They just believe the stereotypes put out by the US film industry, French = rude, Italian = cool, Swedish = sex, Irish = drunk, American = wholesome hero etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭greg678

Hmm i dont know what to think of the french

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 x_TC_x

French boys are hottttttttttth. And for work experience in school I was in a French Primary school but in Dublin. I worked with all French people though and I found them nice enough. Like same standard as I would have expected from Irish like x

x_TC_x wrote:
    French boys are hottttttttttth.
    well i must be in the completely wrong area!! have to say i dont find the french lads necesasrily more attractive or good looking than irish ones

Up the irish lads :D

Advertisement