Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Gatso Van

Options
  • 12-01-2006 8:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭

If any of you want a look at this dreaded machine closeup then go to the Young Scientist exhibition at the RDS. You can get into it and have a look at the technology. at work.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

Had the chance to chat to a Gatso van Driver/operator. He sets the machine to a speed limit and sits back with his book or newspaper and the money comes rolling in.
    Now I'm in favour of reducing speeding and road deaths but the locations of these vans is clearly a money making racket. FOR EXAMPLE:

THe M1 Northbound under the M50 junction thers regularly a white GATSO van under the bridge. The Speed limit goes from 100KPH to 80 KPH to KPH in about a mile.
    ANOTHER EXAMPLE:

Ballymun road southbound, two lanes of traffic and a bus lane downhill with a 50 KPH limit. Its very hard to keep the car from creeping over 50 KPH

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭The Free Man

i remember a few years ago it was parked near my house, i was sitting on a wall beside with my friends, and the garda got out of the back and asked if we want to look inside, i was shocked!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

THe M1 Northbound under the M50 junction there's regularly a white GATSO van under the bridge. The Speed limit goes from 100KPH to 80 KPH to KPH in about a mile.
    ANOTHER EXAMPLE:
    Isn't that stretch a 50Kmh and then it changes to 80Kmh just before the gatso ran and stays 80Kmh until it hits the 120Kmh for the motorway? Mate of mine passed the van there in September doing 90Kmh and hasn't heard anything yet. They have three months to issue a ticket don't they? So I presume he wasn't done.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

we got done there by the van the middle of last year, near newlands cross.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

FX Meister wrote:
    Isn't that stretch a 50Kmh and then it changes to 80Kmh just before the gatso ran and stays 80Kmh until it hits the 120Kmh for the motorway? Mate of mine passed the van there in September doing 90Kmh and hasn't heard anything yet. They have three months to issue a ticket don't they? So I presume he wasn't done.

no it takes around 3 months for a ticket to be recieved i dont believe theres any limit in the time they can issue it to you, i've heard someone getting a ticket 5 and 6 months latter

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Had the chance to chat to a Gatso van Driver/operator. He sets the machine to a speed limit and sits back with his book or newspaper and the money comes rolling in.
    Now I'm in favour of reducing speeding and road deaths but the locations of these vans is clearly a money making racket. FOR EXAMPLE:

the money goes straight into the exchequer so there is no financial incentive for the gardai to perform speed tests.
    However, placing hidden cameras on safer stretches of road (often dual carriageway or motorway) gives them some presence which they believe will deter speeders. However, my belief is that their locations are chosen purely to increase both the numbers of cars checked and to increase the stats for speeding offences.

draffodx wrote:
    no it takes around 3 months for a ticket to be recieved i dont believe theres any limit in the time they can issue it to you, i've heard someone getting a ticket 5 and 6 months latter
    isn't there a six month window for them to notify an offender?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

FX Meister wrote:
    Mate of mine passed the van there in September doing 90Kmh and hasn't heard anything yet. They have three months to issue a ticket don't they? So I presume he wasn't done.

If the speed limit is say 80KPH the operator has the choice of the limit he sets the machine. He told me that when parked on Ballymun road ( 50KPH limit ) he often sets it to 70 KPH. There has to be a tolorence I suppose ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Someone had a close look at the camera just outside Navan on the Dublin side. They burner it out of the box there a while ago. Think they have repaired it now

• Registered Users Posts: 14,336 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

THe M1 Northbound under the M50 junction thers regularly a white GATSO van under the bridge. The Speed limit goes from 100KPH to 80 KPH to KPH in about a mile.
    ANOTHER EXAMPLE:

Ballymun road southbound, two lanes of traffic and a bus lane downhill with a 50 KPH limit. Its very hard to keep the car from creeping over 50 KPH

I think the objective here is to encourage people to be more speed aware. I know I've gotten into the habbit of keeping keep closer to the speed limits from intensive speed traps on the N2.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

kbannon wrote:
    increase the stats for speeding offences.

now ye have it :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭Tony Danza

kbannon wrote:
    isn't there a six month window for them to notify an offender?
    I think in britain you can't get a ticket after 6 months, but over here they can give it to whenever. Not 100% on that though.

Savman wrote:
    now ye have it :rolleyes:
    Not just me. Gardai deliberatley choose easy prey when it comes to speed detection. This was confirmed at the recent AGSI conference where the audience was told that gardai are sent out to basically get statistics so that they do well in internal garda leagues. if a station does poorly then they could lose a man!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,352 ✭✭✭✭Victor

kbannon wrote:
    Not just me. Gardai deliberatley choose easy prey when it comes to speed detection. This was confirmed at the recent AGSI conference where the audience was told that gardai are sent out to basically get statistics so that they do well in internal garda leagues. if a station does poorly then they could lose a man!
    This shíte again.

If they can't catch anyone speeding, well there musn't be a speeding problem then. Catching people speeding isn't difficult in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,352 ✭✭✭✭Victor

i remember a few years ago it was parked near my house, i was sitting on a wall beside with my friends, and the garda got out of the back and asked if we want to look inside, i was shocked!
    Didn't your ma tell you not to speak to stranagers and not get into their vans?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,524 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Yet another thread taken over by the speed limits and moralily of where cameras and speed enforcing devices are located.
    Are there not enough threads in this forum with the exact same details and arguments?
    I though this thread was about the Gatso Van in the RDS-perhaps the original poster was hoping to start debate on what type of machine it is-how it works and the status of the driver......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

Big Nelly wrote:
    Someone had a close look at the camera just outside Navan on the Dublin side. They burner it out of the box there a while ago. Think they have repaired it now
    Yeah that was funny- they put a few tyres against it and set fire to them. I dont think it has been fixed.

Victor wrote:
    This shíte again.

If they can't catch anyone speeding, well there musn't be a speeding problem then. Catching people speeding isn't difficult in this country.
    I never said the contrary. However, in an attempt to make it sound like the gardai are tackling the carnage on the roads they are sent out to shoot fish in a barrel in relatively safe spots.

Advertisement