Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dish Realignment

Options
  • 12-01-2006 5:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,533 ✭✭✭✭

I was doing a bit of outside maintenance work at home yesterday and I knocked my Sky Dish off slightly when moving a scaffolding tower.
    Its a 65cm Dish with a single LNB.
    The Vertical position seems fine but the dish seems to have swung a few degrees too far East.
    I have realigned it and tightened the screws and I have a decent signal.
    The Signal Strength is around 60% and the Signal Quality is around 40-50% on the Signal Test Screen.
    Its a bad day so conditions are poor .
    I'm in Cork by the way.
    Is this good or should I try and get it higher ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Watch the QUALITY. It takes about a second to "see" a change.

It is hard to say as the bargraphs vary from model to model and even with SW updates.

Seems a bit low.

The LNB rotates in holder too.

When finished with East/West, tighten and then check up/down. Many dishes are not installed perfectly to begin with.

I'm experiencing slight breakup on BBC World TV that has teletext, so conditions are poor (My other hotbird channels are OK, as are "other" versions of BBC World).

Mostly my Sky is about 80% to 90%, but my Quad LNB is to side of arm on 80cm dish pointed at Astra19E, so not a good guide for MiniDish owners!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,533 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Thanks Watty.
    I have installed 2 Lidl FTA dishes on friends houses so I have a little bit of experience.
    I dont think the LNB was damaged as the scaffolding caught the left back edge of the dish and turned it slightly.
    I dont think the dish was installed brilliantly the first day as I remeber checking the Signal strength a few times in the past and it was never very high.
    In saying that I rarely have viewing problems bar the odd occasion in torrential rain.
    Its a Pace Digibox about 5 years old.
    The Lidl FTA signal strength was over 90% on my neighbours house but its a different scale I guess.
    I will prob go up again tomorrow and move it slightly to try and improve the signal.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

What I have seen happen in the past is hitting the dish can bend the reflector, and thus reducing the amount of signals reflected to the LNB.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Thanks Watty.
    I have installed 2 Lidl FTA dishes on friends houses so I have a little bit of experience.

I guessed you had or you would still have no signal.

Scary thought Byte. I hope original installer forgot to tighten the bolts!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,533 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

What I have seen happen in the past is hitting the dish can bend the reflector, and thus reducing the amount of signals reflected to the LNB
    I thought the dish shape may have been slightly warped initially but it seems to be pretty symmetrical now so its prob ok .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Dased&Confused

watty wrote: »
    Watch the QUALITY. It takes about a second to "see" a change.

It is hard to say as the bargraphs vary from model to model and even with SW updates.

Seems a bit low.

The LNB rotates in holder too.

When finished with East/West, tighten and then check up/down. Many dishes are not installed perfectly to begin with.

I'm experiencing slight breakup on BBC World TV that has teletext, so conditions are poor (My other hotbird channels are OK, as are "other" versions of BBC World).

Mostly my Sky is about 80% to 90%, but my Quad LNB is to side of arm on 80cm dish pointed at Astra19E, so not a good guide for MiniDish owners!
    Hi Watty,

My housemate and I have just aquired SKY Italy through a friend of his but are struggling to get the dish aligned to hotbird 2. Do you know of anyone that may be able to do this for us and not charge a fortune

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Dased&Confused

Hello All,

Does anybody know of someone in the Cork area that does not charge a fortune to realign a satellite dish. We have recently aquired Italian Sky and need to get the dish realigned to Hotbird 2 (tried ourselves but it is a bit like finding a needle in a hay stack)?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Talk to Rippy who posts here

Hello All,

Does anybody know of someone in the Cork area that does not charge a fortune to realign a satellite dish. We have recently aquired Italian Sky and need to get the dish realigned to Hotbird 2 (tried ourselves but it is a bit like finding a needle in a hay stack)?

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

Advertisement