Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryder Cup on RTE

Options
  • 12-01-2006 12:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,481 ✭✭✭

At the moment RTE are not showing the Ryder Cup on tv this year and it will only appear on Sky.

How can the government change this that it will allow that RTE broadcast the rights.

It is not a Irish event it is Europe/USA event which is only been staged in Ireland this year and it will be a long time before it is back so I can't see why the government can just decide that the want to stick it on RTE/TV3 so it makes them looks good and hopefully pull in an extra few votes for them at the next elections.

Sky have bought the rights for Europe and I am sure it didn't come cheap so if RTE/TV3 want to show the ryder cup on tv let them go to Sky and agree a price with them for showing it and not the government do it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭css

To be honest I can't see it happening. But we'll see soon I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭J.R.HARTLEY

they can chose to change it if the event is of significant cultural importance to the island, don't forget an absolute fortune will be spent by the irish taxpayer on things like gardai etc so it's a way of recompensing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

they can chose to change it if the event is of significant cultural importance to the island, don't forget an absolute fortune will be spent by the irish taxpayer on things like gardai etc so it's a way of recompensing them.
    This is more than covered by the expected rise in tourism that the event will generate. Not just for the Ryder Cup, but for years to come.

Remember that the event is screened free to air in the US by ESPN.

I think this is just window dressing by the government. I simply don't see them taking on Sky and the Ryder Cup committee at this late stage. According to Sky and the Ryder cup committee the Irish Gov where put very much in the picture when the deal was done in 97 (or was it 99?). To start ratteling their sabre at this late stage is bad form, and would have potentially disasterous effects on the potential of any future "World" event being staged in this country.

i totally agree hobart bu tthe truth is a lot of taxpayers money will be used to fund the event with huge profits for the tourism industry, but, what does joe soap at home who's tax money is being used get, prretty much nothing, i think it's abit much ado about nothing, like you said it's more idle threat from the Govt.

i wouldn't have a problem with it being free to air as i don't think golf should be exclusive, i believe sky have destroyed an element of all sports in UK & irl by making everything into a bidding war, in the states the NFL is on cbs,abc,Fox and espn. it's not monopolised like sky have done with the premiership.
    sky couldn't give two flying ones about golf, i mean i already pay €35 a month for sky sports and rumour is sky are planning to make the 3 major tournaments they have into pay per view on their new extra subscription golf channel, like the prem plus scheme, i'm just really angry that sky don't think €35 per month isn't already pay per view. anyway that should explain where i stand, i think there's no harm i it being free to air in ireland but it probably won't be as it will cause huge complications for future hosting countries like the UK where the rights would be worth a fortune.

basically i agree with the point yu made about it being sabre rattling, i think you're on the money there, but i just wanted to rant about sky :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,481 ✭✭✭Trampas

They will make loads back from the people renting out there houses for the Ryder Cup.

People charging €10K plus for a week.

The tax man will like his slice of it

• Advertisement

yeah there will be those bonuses top be made alright tramps,
    still i'm dissapointed the way most european sporting bodies have sold the fans out, unlike the american coverage of most sports which are spread across the networks.i think it's time we started demanding change

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I have to say from a perspective of a person who has had sky sports for donkeys years, I prefer it on sky.

From a viewers point of view, they have great camerman who never lose the bal as BBC regurly does.

Sky also have their interactive service allowing you to choose between like 8 matches to watch them all, highlights, shot of the day, scoreboards, and lots more.
    RTe has....nothing.

I cant say I'm bothered from a viewers point of view, I'm glad sky has it.

AS for the whole grr irish TV irish event blah blah blah, maybe if they built up some customer quality like sky give, maybe if RTE got interactive, maybe if they had good shows on TV =D

The only programmes RTE gets my view for are Premiership, Des Bishop, maybe the odd film

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Wigertoods

Sky also have their interactive service allowing you to choose between like 8 matches to watch them all, highlights, shot of the day, scoreboards, and lots more.
    RTe has....nothing.

Unfortuneatley not everybody has sky.
    Maybe those that don't have sky would gladly watch the ryder cup on RTE.
    Even without all the bells and whistles.

I have sky and even if RTE did have coverage of the event I think I still
    would watch it on sky for all the extras but maybe I'm one of the lucky ones

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭garred

I agree with the Doc, Sky's coverage of...well....all sports is far superior. I know not everyone has Sky but eventhough I have both I will be watching it on Sky. Although they can't beat Rte's football panel for the football and rugby.

• Advertisement

yeah rte is far more, non political when it comes to soccer talk, tho they defend roy keane and damo duff and robbie keane way way way too much...., but this aint golf.... so nvrmind me =D

Advertisement