Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Still Registered Owner Of Old Car

Options
  • 12-01-2006 10:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks
    I need some guidance please.

I traded in my old car to a garge last August .Yesterday evening in the post i got an NCT letter saying i am still the registered owner and the car is due for testing next month
    Its not my car any more,i got the new owner cert for my newer car
    I presume the garage didnt bother sending off the change of ownership form on my old car
    Do i need to tackle the garage on this or can i solve the problem myself by filling in a form . If so where can i get this form ?

Any pointers or ideas on what to do ?

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Ignore it. It's the garage's problem.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

seamus wrote:
    Ignore it. It's the garage's problem.

Exactly!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

You may as well tell the Garage, they may have forgotten:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭andrew1977

thanks for the advice folks, just rang the NCT centre, they said no worries ,they will take me off as the person responsible to take it for its NCT and its the next owners problem,

I dont know how the next owner has taxed it ,it was out of tax when i sold it,over 6 months ago now ,
    Ah well not my problem now

thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭DigiMarc

lol it wasnt a Rover was it? I had the opposite problem in that I couldnt get the ownership of the car changed over to me. The Garage just kept telling me they had sent it to Shannon. :rolleyes: I was only able to tax it last week when I finally received the change of ownership form and brought it down to the tax offfice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,226 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

andrew1977 wrote:
    I presume the garage didnt bother sending off the change of ownership form on my old car

Yeah that's what happened. The garage doesn't want to register itself as the new owner, so they wait until they sell the car before they process the documentation

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I thought it was usually the responsibility of the seller to take care of the change of ownership documentation? Especially in private sales, where you may end up receiving speeding tickets due to the new owner.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

if the car was sold on by the garage (without the paperwork being done properly) or if a garage staff member decided to take it for a spin, you may be liable for any fines accumulated!

Stephen wrote:
    I thought it was usually the responsibility of the seller to take care of the change of ownership documentation? Especially in private sales, where you may end up receiving speeding tickets due to the new owner.
    Afaik, when selling to a garage, it's a little different. Since the garage are in essence a "middleman" for a private sale (even though you no longer own the vehicle), they don't register themselves as the owners. Afaik, they should also be covered insurance/taxwise under certain legislation.

I could very much be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Similar situation happened to me,

I received the tax documentation for a car I never even owned. Just outta the blue I am told I am the registered owner of a Pug 106......

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

seamus wrote:
    Afaik, when selling to a garage, it's a little different. Since the garage are in essence a "middleman" for a private sale (even though you no longer own the vehicle), they don't register themselves as the owners. Afaik, they should also be covered insurance/taxwise under certain legislation.

I could very much be wrong.

Your right to my knowlege.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

prospect wrote:
    Similar situation happened to me,

I received the tax documentation for a car I never even owned. Just outta the blue I am told I am the registered owner of a Pug 106......

I hope you reported it stolen!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

testicle wrote:
    I hope you reported it stolen!

He he, that was my plan, but at the bottom of the documents is a note saying something like:

'This document is not proof of ownership'

• Registered Users Posts: 73,439 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The garage should have got you to sign a green form called an RF105. this form takes the car out of your name, and registers it as the garage's without putting an extra owner on the car. This form should always be used by garages, you could recieve speeding fines etc. if you don't get one of these forms backdated to when you traded the car in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Remember the NCT database isn't exactly the most up-to-date so they most likely just sent the appointment letter to whatever address they have on file, knowing well it's up to the new owner to contact them if he/she wants a test.

No biggie, but you should make sure the vehicle is not legally in your name!

Savman wrote:
    Remember the NCT database isn't exactly the most up-to-date so they most likely just sent the appointment letter to whatever address they have on file, knowing well it's up to the new owner to contact them if he/she wants a test.
    This too is correct. Mine is due at the end of this month, but I've received no letter. When I checked my reg online, the address was the previous owner's.
    When I bought the car, the garage sent of the change of ownership form and the NCT cert. A few weeks later, I get the NCT cert back, with a small note "There was no need to send this to us". So essentially, the DOE had my details on hand, the NCT info, they knew that the owner had changed, yet didn't bother their arse updating the NCT info.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,439 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

to my knowledge, the database is pretty up to date

Advertisement