Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Difference between PCI and PCIMCA cards?

Options
  • 12-01-2006 2:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone - had a quick question about my dell latitude and was wondering if anyone here could help. Basically I got an external dvd player/rewriter for my laptop, which connects up via USB port on the back. The problem is that this seems to be a 1.1 port (it was taking 80 minutes to transfer a 3 hour DVD to my hard drive so I'm assuming this!). Now I want a quicker transfer, so I decided to try and get a 2.0 port put on. Now as far as I can make out the only way to do this is get a PCI or PCIMCA card with a couple of usb ports - which brings me to my question: I'm fairly sure my laptop comes with two PCIMCA slots (already have a wireless card in one), but I cant seem to find many PCIMCA cards with USB ports in any shops or online - they all seem to be PCI ones! Does anyone know what the difference is between PCI and PCIMCA? The PCI cards do look bigger from the pictures, so I'm fairly sure I wouldnt be able to use them, but I thought I'd check here just in case. Please excuse my ignorance if I've said something really stupid in the above post - I don't know half as much as I should about laptops!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Essentially:
    PCI = Computer/Desktop
    PCMCIA = Laptop

Komplett.ie sells one for 26euro + p&p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭irlrobins

also would pcmcia be fast enough to support usb 2.0? Just wondering....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭blondie83

Thanks for the replies - that clears it up nicely! I assume this is the one here?

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=311108&cks=SER

Will probably get that one - it says its USB 2.0 anyway. I wouldn't mind a slight reduction in speed if the PCIMCA card can't handle that rate of data transfer and goes more slowly than expected - it can't be as bad as 1.1 anyway!

irlrobins wrote:
    also would pcmcia be fast enough to support usb 2.0? Just wondering....

Good point. I believe the answer is if it's CardBus = Yes.

To check whether you have CardBus (32bit) PCMCIA: Go into device manager and check the naming of the PCMCIA - it should be obvious if it is CardBus.

That's the one I had in mind (But couldn't link - website issues..). Even with shipping, it's better than you'll get anywhere in Ireland as far as I'm aware.

If you have any doubts, post up a screenshot of Device Manager (With PCMCIA (And USB) entries expanded) & the model of your laptop and I'll check it out.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

What model laptop ?

Some needed additional drivers to get USB 2.0 speed - without them they ran at 1.1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Assuming you're using windows XP, I'd check to see if you've got service pack 2 installed before buying anything.

Just did a quick check there, and it looks to be a cardbus one all right - the full name is "Texas instruments PCI - 1420 Cardbus Controller". The laptop itself is a dell latitude C600 Pentium 3, and runs off XP and service pack two is installed. Does it like like it would be okay? Thanks for all the help here!

blondie83 wrote:
    Does it like like it would be okay?

It does to me. Karoma will prob confirm....

I was sure...but now the others have raised some doubt... I thought,as it's pcmcia/cardbus - there'd be no need for additional drivers..

Blondie83: what operating system do you have installed? (And which service pack(s)?)

I'll check. Thanks.

blondie83 wrote:
    The laptop itself is a dell latitude C600 Pentium 3, and runs off XP and service pack two is installed.

Allow me blondie..... ;)

• Advertisement

irlrobins wrote:
    Allow me blondie..... ;)
    Ahem. I'm not awake:) Thanks.

Checked; from what I can see:
    It should run fine with SP2 installed.
    (Technically: it should run fine with SP1, but SP2 includes the drivers necessary)..

However, additional drivers will be supplied or are available from the manufacturer's website
    http://www.sunsway.com.hk/driver/U2v2_1_3_1.exe

In the unlikely event that you do have a problem-let me know (We'll get it working, or failing that, I'll buy it for 30e :) )

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

cardbus-01.jpg

general info on pcmica speeds and pinouts - http://www.pcmcia.org/faq.htm

C600 latitude = USB 1.1 :(

Looks good - soon as I get my credit card cleared I'll get the order in :cool: Sure even if it doesn't go at that speed it will be nice to have a couple of extra USB hubs!

Let me know how it goes either way,please :)

Advertisement