Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

GT TDI and TDI

Options
  • 12-01-2006 12:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭

Can anybody explain to me exactly whats make the difference in models for a golf TDI vs GT TDI...as far as i know it means that GTTDI is the higher spec model of the TDI but what should that include (leather steering wheel, different interior, engine type) but im not sure exactly what to be looking out for

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Specs of various VW Golfs here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Big Balls

First of all, in ROI there's no such thing as a GT TDI. Some people put badges on their cars saying they are but there's no official model here.

Here, they are known as Comfortlines and Highlines. The Highline being similar to a GT TDI - leather wheel, lowered suspension is an option, GTI style seats, rear lights etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 51,202 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

neacy69 wrote:
    Can anybody explain to me exactly whats make the difference in models for a golf TDI vs GT TDI...as far as i know it means that GTTDI is the higher spec model of the TDI but what should that include (leather steering wheel, different interior, engine type) but im not sure exactly what to be looking out for

I presume it is the MkIV Golf you are talking about. The difference can be spotted by the TDi badge on the rear. The more red letters the more powerful version of the TDi engine. It can get a bit confusing.

Here is a break down of them as I know it anyway:

1998 - 2002 MkIV
    Golf 1.9 TDi 90bhp - Base, Trendline or Comfortline
    Golf 1.9 TDi 110bhp - Base, Trendline or Comfortline

2002 - 2004 MkIV
    Golf 1.9 TDi PD 105bhp - Base or Comfortline
    Golf 1.9 TDi PD 130bhp - Comfortline
    Golf 1.9 TDi PD 150bhp - Highline

There was no offical GTTDi sold in Ireland, anyone you have seen is either a UK import or just wishful thinking by it's owner. The 150bhp TDi Highline was as close to the GT TDi as you could get here. AFAIK it had full colour coded bumpers, door handles and side moldings. It had the GTi alloy wheels, integrated front fog lights, leather steering wheel (I think) and suspension set up.

The different equipment specifications are defined by Base, Comfortline, Trendline and Highline (in that order).

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Is the uk GT TDi actually a better specced car than its irish counter part?

draffodx wrote:
    Is the uk GT TDi actually a better specced car than its irish counter part?

More than likely, the Highline here had an electric sunroof for example where as the UK GTTDi might have had Sat Nav, leather Recaro seats or Climate Control.

But alarm bells may ring with insurance companies here when you mention the letters GT even if is a diesel.

Would be interesting to find out if they treated them the same!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭ando

bazz26 wrote:
    Golf 1.9 TDi PD 130bhp - Comfortline

Should be TDi for the 130hp version ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

First of all, in ROI there's no such thing as a GT TDI. Some people put badges on their cars saying they are but there's no official model here.

Or one can import one!

As a sidenote, the TDI's (any amount of red) can be chipped with good results in both BHP and torque if you are that way inclined.

PS, does the amount of red rule of thumb apply of all VAG TDI models or just the Golf?

oh, in the FS board:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054873399

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Big Balls

bazz26 wrote:
    might have had Sat Nav, leather Recaro seats or Climate Control.

Not a chance... normal air con maybe that's about it.

Big Balls wrote:
    Not a chance... normal air con maybe that's about it.

Probably on a bog standard GTTDi but in the UK they like their optional extras which are much cheaper than here and it is not uncommon to find Sat Nav, climate control and leather trim on a used one.

These options are too expensive here so very rare to find an Irish 1.9 TDi Highline with these fitted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

the one that i was looking is a northern reg GT TDI 2001 115bhp only problem i have with it is it has huge miles 125k....
    just wanted to know the basic differences to make sure i wasn't being conned into buying a falsely badged TDI...

oh and about insurance according to my insurance company their policys are only based on engine capacity eg a 1.9 is classed as 1.9 regardless of spec or GT or GT TDI (its hibernian if you wanna check it for yourself)

• Advertisement

neacy69 wrote:
    the one that i was looking is a northern reg GT TDI 2001 115bhp only problem i have with it is it has huge miles 125k....
    just wanted to know the basic differences to make sure i wasn't being conned into buying a falsely badged TDI...

oh and about insurance according to my insurance company their policys are only based on engine capacity eg a 1.9 is classed as 1.9 regardless of spec or GT or GT TDI (its hibernian if you wanna check it for yourself)

so insurance on the 1.9 tdi 150 bhp would be exactly the same as the 1.9 tdi 110bhp?

Quinn direct would only give me insurance on the 90bhp version a year ago

draffodx wrote:
    so insurance on the 1.9 tdi 150 bhp would be exactly the same as the 1.9 tdi 110bhp?

Quinn direct would only give me insurance on the 90bhp version a year ago

Yeah according to my agent in hibernian its the same for any 1.9 (petrol, diesel, turdo whatever)....i thought it was wierd too but she was 100% on it

neacy69 wrote:
    Yeah according to my agent in hibernian its the same for any 1.9 (petrol, diesel, turdo whatever)....i thought it was wierd too but she was 100% on it

didnt get her name by any chance so i can ask for her when i ring up :)

draffodx wrote:
    didnt get her name by any chance so i can ask for here when i ring up :)

It was one of the girls (agents) in the hiberninan shop in clanbrassil street, dundalk thats who i deal with cos i dont like dealing with the call centre

class am moving back to dundalk next week, will mosy on in and see whats the most powerfull car i can get insured in for under 2 grand :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

neacy69 wrote:
    I heard this from a guy I work with too, only two months ago. I thought it was strange at the time.

I found the same with hibernian re engine size.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭ando

amount of red rule of thumb apply of all VAG TDI models or just the Golf?

tis all of VAG ted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

From the ones I have seen onsale in Ebay and Cargiant the GT TDi has body colour mouldings instead of the black plastic on the bumpers and on the door handles. As far as I know in the UK once it has them on the diesel it's a GT TDi, I don't think the horsepower is disclosed in the log book.

ando wrote:
    tis all of VAG ted

duely noted :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement