Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cyberscammers

Options
  • 11-01-2006 11:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭

hey guys, i need your help.im doing a essay in college simply titled cyberscammers but i dont know where to begin with it. i originally wanted to look at the role that companies play in facilitating cyberscammers, the sony bmg fiasco and maybe microsoft but i couldnt find anything on that so i have settled to just doing a essay on cyberscammers in general. who they are, how they work, how they are stopped and then finally look at what companies are doing to stop them, preventative measures... any ideas where to begin, direction, comments, websites

anything really would be appreciated, im totally stumpped!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭OMcGovern

Companies don't "facilitate" cyberscammers.... it's hardly good for business.

Why don't you list the computer crimes you want to talk about first, then search for them on the net.

eg.

- "phishing" for bank / paypal details
    - account hacking / takeover
    - dialers, redirecting modem calls to premium lines
    - spamming
    - fake sites which ask user for user id & password eg, fake ebay sites

regards,
    Owen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭Ideo

oh well i dont mean facilitate, maybe unwittingly help cyberscammers through faulty software... and phishing/fake sites is the direction that my essay is taking. is phishing, enter your account number here etc... not the same as fake sites? like it obviously isnt a real bank of ireland/scotland website where the phishing takles place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Martyr

You could discuss 'club cards' offered by large supermarkets, & perhaps how information is bought/sold..i'd be interested to know about that kind of thing, although i've never really looked into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Just go this in the mail, you might find it interesting or not

There is a new PayPal phishing site that is crafty and cunning in
    attempting to hide its true address from the surfer. Unsuspecting users
    might fall for this devious trickery. It is thru a Google XSS attack that
    the phishing site uses to begin its lure and deception of the surfer. Read
    full details and watch the entire captured video of this scam here:

http://castlecops.com/a6460-PayPal_Phishing_Site_Exploits_Google_XSS_Vulnerability.html

( short: http://castlecops.com/article-6460-nested-0-0.html )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭Zoned

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭Ideo

thanks guys, they're two pretty good websites. mite try working the link aobut the website that locates the origins of the phisher into the essay, in the fightback of cybercrime etc...

if your interested yourselves check out

www.antiphishing.org

its a good website

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

have a google for "419"
    419 is the violation code in nigeria for finance scams there.
    the most common "419" these days is the email variety.

you could write a book on that stuff.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,978 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

www.sans.org - look up the old electronic newsletters

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

oi scooby you arent in 3rd year bess by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭bungeecork

Barely related - but anyway... http://www.grc.com/dos/grcdos.htm
    is a fascinating read - sorry if you've talked about this before.The homepage also has anti-spyware reviews.

• Advertisement
Advertisement