Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Name calling in school

Options
  • 11-01-2006 10:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭

I was chatting to a mate the other day about name calling in school and how dumb it really was. My last name being McEnroe, people would call me "macaroon bar" :rolleyes:, meant as an insult. Id be, "is that the best you can come up with?!?!"

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭Eminem

Yeah people would find my second name weird but now they used to it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

yeah i cant think of an insult for Mathers..hmm did people call you 8 mile trash? :)

Now why Whats wrong with the nick name ?;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

it's when it becomes calling yer mother's name it's stoopid.

or even calling folk by their surname...goes out the window when secondarys finished.

Ruu the reason i picked the name Eminem is because i love his music and hes 1 of my favourite rappers;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭440Hz

I found the most amusing name calling was always in college.. but the difference was in college it was not an insult, or at least not meant to be... like 'mushroom-head' that had to be fairly unique! In school nobody really called me names tbh, they just pushed me around instead. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99

All very creative compared to my schooldays (1970s-80s) when the most commonly used epithets were "spa" and "homo".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭NoDayBut2Day

Name calling is just childish; I've never heard a name call that wasn't vulgar or derogatory in some way... even if it's meant as a joke. It can just get tiresome to hear after awhile.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

Not hugely on topic but there was an absolutely fantastic thread on AH a while ago which discussed name-calling and popular names in depth.

Anyhoo does anyone remember being called a feeler?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,743 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

dont remember being called names but i remember the common come-back

"dont call me what ya mother reared!"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

hehe, i used to get called SteFANNY.........:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

mine were really original.
    Terry berry and Terry wogan being the two most popular.
    this all ended when one of the kids in the estate tried to rile me one day by calling me Terry berry. there were quite a lot of laughs at his expense. his name was also Terry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Megatron

i sued to get slagged alot about my 2nd name so they came up with :

Scruffy instead.

however that all changed once the simpons Got thier hands on my name ...

Duff man .. Ohh yeah

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

i used to be called morgasm or morganics shampoo... the people who called me it now are all bums ...godd riddence

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

When I was younger growing up in a large estate in the summer, we used to play until it was late. In the summer months then the lights came on in the estate at 10'o clock its when I had to be home. For years I was called big Ben. The reason been big Ben strikes ten meant I had to be home :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Does anybody remember the following exchange?
    someone would ask you
    "Are you a benny tied to a tree?"
    and you would say "No,I'm not"
    "Benny on the Loose,benny on the loose!!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

a called a guy in our class got called betty due to the fact that, even though he was a 15 year old boy, he put you in mind of an elderly granny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭Willymuncher

I was called Arsey Darcy.....and then after 2phat, every one changed it to Darcys arse. Wasn't bad, but it wasn't funny either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Demetrius

ferdi wrote:
    a called a guy in our class got called betty due to the fact that, even though he was a 15 year old boy, he put you in mind of an elderly granny.
    Good one!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭toffeapple

We used to have a soap dodging knacker in our class called "flea" (Jason Flynn)....at break we used to play a game called "search for the golden fleece"(ala jason and the argonauts)...where we would give him a couple minutes head start and the literally the whole class(girls as well) would chase the poor fu*ker down and beat sh*t out of him...i wonder what hes doing now......probably a serial killer or Garda

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭toffeapple

Degsy wrote:
    Does anybody remember the following exchange?
    someone would ask you
    "Are you a benny tied to a tree?"
    and you would say "No,I'm not"
    "Benny on the Loose,benny on the loose!!"

hahaha class rememeber it well

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

toffeapple wrote:
    hahaha class rememeber it well

Yeah, me too, except in our school, we used looney instead of benny.

I also remember calling people a "scabby Jew" if I asked for a lend of something and the person said No!

How awful is that, everyone in our school was at it, I didn't even know what a "Jew" was or why they would be thought of as scabby!!!! I doubt any of the other kids knew either.

As for using the 'N' word, God! We were so naive and racially unaware back then!

Although I doubt todays kids are any the wiser :(

Advertisement