Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PCMCIA issue

Options
  • 11-01-2006 9:46pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭

have a compaq presario 1500 that im plugging a belkin F5D7010 54mb wifi pcmcia card into and all worked grand until a few weeks ago when the laptop just froze during the windows boot up screen so i rebooted and unplugged the card and it booted up perfect so then i plug in the card and frozen again. no other devices or software was installed to cause an issue like this. the laptop is purely for internet access and is totally spyware free.
    i uninstall all the belkin stuff and reinstall and when it tells me to plug in the card i do and it freezes again. i test the card in another machine and all is ok in that machine which leads to the laptop. ideas? i also tried another card in the same laptop and not working either.
    iv done a system restore to the day the card was originally installed but still the same fault so im gonna try a system restore to factory settings unless anyone has any better ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Re-Install the PCMCIA drivers in Device Manager.
    Check the manufacturers website for any updates (BIOS,etc.)

Have you made any harware changes recently? (i.e. Something may be causing a conflict?) When you say you tried "another card" -is this another WiFi card as well, or just another PCMCIA card?

If it was another wireless card: You could also remove the Belkin software from startup or Windows' Wireless Zero Config. service to ensure that it's not a software issue..If you haven't already/both are launching at startup

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Splinter

it was the same model of card from Belkin, no hardware changes. im gonna try a full system restore. as i said there is nothing really on it so i dont mind and backup didnt take long. is it possible the connections on the mb for the pcmcia are frapped?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

It _is_ possible.. but an IRQ conflict or driver issue is more likely... or even some niggly setting.. a Recovery will most likely solve it..

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Splinter

well i did the full recovery (and it was a total reinstall,not a repair) and still it freezes when i input the card. my guess is its my pcmcia slot...but first time ive ever seen something like this happen :S

Advertisement