Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deciding on Gaming PC

Options
  • 11-01-2006 9:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭

Hi i have been posting in wanted hardware and was told to come over here for some advice here is the post http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=50680409#post50680409

I was told by someone to get a
    western digital 74gb
    raptor 10,000 rpm
    sata/150 8mb
    cache-oem

Does 74gb sound small compared to some of the hard drives out there??
    I am only using this for games so space is not an issue now but you never know in the future.

Also i was told to get a high resolution monitor.
    I taught most of the monitors were high resolution. Is there something different for gaming??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭riptide

jayo2004 wrote:
    Hi i have been posting in wanted hardware and was told to come over here for some advice here is the post http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=50680409#post50680409

I was told by someone to get a
    western digital 74gb
    raptor 10,000 rpm
    sata/150 8mb
    cache-oem

Does 74gb sound small compared to some of the hard drives out there??
    I am only using this for games so space is not an issue now but you never know in the future.

Also i was told to get a high resolution monitor.
    I taught most of the monitors were high resolution. Is there something different for gaming??
    Get two then RAID them. And also have a Maxtor 200GB SATA for all your documents/music pics etc and get a 300-400 for disk cloning/backup duties.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭craigcharlie

74gb could be considered small in general... but it's not really a conisderation when it comes to the raptor drive. The raptor is faster than any other SATA hard drive (only SCSI drives are faster), so that's why it gives great performance for gaming

Two drives in raid 0 gives you 150gb...and raid 0 almost halves the amount of time it takes to get data off the disk, making it even faster. so that's deffo the way to go...

if you really cared about getting bigger drives, western digital have just come out with 150 gb raptors... they're still MAD expensive at the moment though.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭jayo2004

If i get two 200 gb (7200 rpm) hard drives and use raid 0 would that be better than one
    western digital 74gb
    raptor 10,000 rpm????????

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭craigcharlie

I'm not sure. it might be close... but it's still an ineffective use of resources. 2 200 drives in raid 0 gives you 400 gb of storage, but it's not storage you can depend on...if one of those drives fails, then all 400 gb of data is gone.

get 2 raptors in raid 0 for OS/games, and another big SATA hard drive for storage/backup, if you can afford it. If not, your best bet is one raptor for OS/games and a big SATA for backup.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭jayo2004

Thanks guys for your advice has helped alot just one more question.

Would the monitor matter as i dont care if its not a flat screen (save a few bob) but i was told to get a high resolution montior. Can anybody recommend a monitor or does it matter????

• Advertisement
Advertisement