Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Compaq presario not booting

Options
  • 11-01-2006 6:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭

I have my sister's Compaq Presario 1260 notebook for some time now.
    It is powered or should I say it was powered by Win 98.

I just thought it might be able to run under Win Xp so I formated C and changet the boot sequence to CDROM.
    Now, there is no way the system will boot from the CD. I get the CDR101 error (Hardware issue with the CDROM) although the system used to recognise dna dunstall any program etc a few days ago. Also, it would auto start when I put an audio CD.
    Does anytone have an oidea how to bypass this issue.
    Please note that I am not very good with DOS commands.
    Any suggestions is wellcomed.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Post the exact error message. What CD are you trying to boot the system from?

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭regedit

CiaranC wrote:
    Post the exact error message. What CD are you trying to boot the system from?

Ciaran,
    Tried to boot from every single CDE I have (Win 98, 98 SE, Win Me and Win Xp).
    When I try to boot from the first 3, the drivers (from a bootable floopy of Win Me) install the drivers and then tell me that my CD Rom is E
    When I try the command E:\setup.exe I get the command
    CDR101: Not Ready reading Drive E
    Abort, Refly Fail

Nothing I have done seems to help.
    Win Xp tells me:
    Invalid system disk
    Replace the disk, and then press any key

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Your ME floppy disk can only be used to boot ME. otherwise you will run into issues. Try http://www.bootdisk.com/ for the proper boot disk for whichever you decide to install. You will struggle to run 2K on a K6-2 333 MHz, never mind XP.

Id go with win98 SE. The proper boot floppy is on there.

CiaranC wrote:
    Your ME floppy disk can only be used to boot ME. otherwise you will run into issues. Try http://www.bootdisk.com/ for the proper boot disk for whichever you decide to install. You will struggle to run 2K on a K6-2 333 MHz, never mind XP.

Id go with win98 SE. The proper boot floppy is on there.

That doesn't seem to be the problem. I created a bootable disk for Win 98 and tried with the CD of 98 but the error message-s remain the same.
    I am running out of options at this stage. It seems to me highly unlikely that the CD-ROM simply decideded to give upwhern I was making a fresh installation!

Any ideas?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭gamer

Open cdrom drive tray,examine it, clean it very gently with a soft cloth, there may be dust that is stopping cds being,read,go to 2euro shop talbot st,or anywhere, get CDLENS CLEANINGkit,cost 2 or 3euro.follow instructions,carefully, i had same problem,had to get kit to clean dvdrom,drive, use a SMALL AMOUNT ,of cleaning fluid on cleaningdisk. leave cddrive,open,if possible. give it 8MINUTES at least /for fliud to dry out from lens and tray.then reboot pc, u can go to bootdisk.com,download win98.se onto a 3halfinch/disk, u can use it to boot up pc into,dos mode,with cdrom drivers installed.then go to i386.or winnt directory,type setup.exe or winnt.exe,i think.try both. type dir d:\ to see cdrom drive. NOTE,win98se will only read hardisk in fat32 format/ not ntfs format. clean cdrom and try booting up any os diskl .u have around.win98 or winme is better for pentium 2 laptops, unless u have at least 512meg ram on your laptop.look at your os disks,are they dirty or scratched, clean em with a soft cloth using fliud from cdkit,u just bought,small amount of it.From the centre towards the edge,dont wipe in circles,that will damage delicate cdrom surface ,be very gentle.You can use usb drive to download files from bootdisk.com. they need to be unzipped onto the 3.5inch disk to make a bootdisk,or to a bootable cdr disk.you cud get a windows me bootdisk,i find win98se disk has everything for NON NTFS formatted hardrives. DO NOT touch cdrom lens at any point, use cleaning kit.You can also get dvd drive cleaning kits for 3euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭irlrobins

gamer wrote:
    Open cdrom drive tray,examine it, .......You can also get dvd drive cleaning kits for 3euro.

Dude! Take a breath!!!!

Advertisement