Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sci-fi pulp fiction from the 60's

Options
  • 11-01-2006 4:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭

Anybody else read this stuff ? The A5-sized monthly magazines full of short stories, articles and serials. The modern equivalent would be the Analog or Asimov magazines.

Authors such as John Brunner, Harry Harrison, John Rackham.

What I love about this stuff: it's good old fashioned sci-fi, relying on story and ideas without going overboard on technical details and what-not. The characters are usually strong and there'd be a love-element in it too (male lead rescuing the distressed female). Very much like the classic sci-fi films of the era (Quatermass, Forbidden Planet, Day the Earth Stood Still etc)

A lot of these stories may have been reprinted in anthologies, but they're very, very rare. I bought a load of pulp off Ebay and am working my way through them - nostalgia for me, as I grew up on reading the 60s magazines my dad collected.

Luvvin' it

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭franksm

rollingsm.JPG

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I read a lot of sci-fi but reading 60s pulp stuff doesn't really appeal to me.

tumbleweed.jpg

Try the sci-fi forum maybe. :)

Advertisement