Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting Rid of Dog Shít

Options
  • 11-01-2006 2:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭

Hey, Ive been throwing my dogs **** into the compost heap,, I thought once it breaks down (since she is such a nice dog like:rolleyes: ) that it would be safe. Especially if I got one of those compost bins. I dont plan on growing vegetables with the stuff or anything, and its easier to throw it to the side of the garden instead of putting it in a bag (I even have a shíter picker upper that means I dont have to crouch!) Anyway, how do you do yours?
    Much appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

joejoem wrote:
    Hey, Ive been throwing my dogs **** into the compost heap,, I thought once it breaks down (since she is such a nice dog like:rolleyes: ) that it would be safe. Especially if I got one of those compost bins. I dont plan on growing vegetables with the stuff or anything, and its easier to throw it to the side of the garden instead of putting it in a bag (I even have a shíter picker upper that means I dont have to crouch!) Anyway, how do you do yours?
    Much appreciated!

apparently its not good for compost, especially if the dog is eating food with meat content. All we do is regularly gather it into a bag for landfill. cant see anything else i can do with it. apart from git rid of the dog, but thats anothe story :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Macy

There's a couple of composters on the compost thread that claim to be safe for dog "waste". The Greencone claims to.

I think there's also mini septic tank things for pet waste, marketed as dog loo or something. Like a small bin that you bury in the garden and fill with a treatment.... (A quick google for dog loo brings up a few options)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Dog **** is *not* safe to compost. You do not need to be handling semi-digested waste with toxicaria canis etc in it.

Two suggestions:

1) Collect it from round the garden on a shovel and drop it down the shore

2) Make a specific railed-off area with sand where you lead your dog every time it wants to do its stuff and then praise it like mad when it does it there. The dog will quickly learn that this is its "toilet". Easier to find the stuff then without any horrible surprises. (In France some towns have these dog toilet areas on the streets, marked with a sign showing a dog crouching.)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

Flush it down the Jax

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭joejoem

Flush it down the Jax

Thanks for the suggestion but I cant see myself walking through the house, and up the stairs to the toilet with dog ****. My legs would be knackered, its one of her favorite past times. If I could only teach her to use the toilet.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

Teach her to do it in your neighbour's garden.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭craggel

If you have a man hole cover in your back garden which gives access to the sewer why don't you lift the lid and shovel it in there so it can float away with everyone else's kack.

Advertisement