Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restrict Access to one program for a user

Options
  • 11-01-2006 1:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

Just wanted to know if anyone has experience restricting acces to windows xp pro users. Basically I have a product and I want the rest of the users on the machine not to be able to access anything but that product.

I've seen it before in petrol stations and the like. They have an operating system on the machine and when it starts it automatically loads the cashier program and does not allow for anything else.

Any help at all on this would be greatly appreciated, I've searched on the web but didn't find much.
    Sorry if this is not the correct forum.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Martyr

i have no experience with it, but i know you can enforce group policies using management console in administrative tools.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windowsserver2003/technologies/management/csws2003.mspx

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,978 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

the keyword is Kisok

when you run an application in that mode all the user can do is login, the app starts and when they close it they are logged out.

if the app has a File Open button then they can of course run just about anything they can see from inside that dialog box by right clicking on it.
    Even if you physically remove the right button then it may still be possible to run it using the keyboard - you would also need to make sure mousekeys is not setup in accessibility in control panle)

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Borat_Sagdiyev

the keyword is Kisok

when you run an application in that mode all the user can do is login, the app starts and when they close it they are logged out.

if the app has a File Open button then they can of course run just about anything they can see from inside that dialog box by right clicking on it.
    Even if you physically remove the right button then it may still be possible to run it using the keyboard - you would also need to make sure mousekeys is not setup in accessibility in control panle)

Thanks a million, would never have found that stuff online without knowing that. I don't have a file->open option in the software so that solves that.

You're a legend.

Advertisement