Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

R5 or R7?

Options
  • 11-01-2006 11:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭

Which would you go for. I'm currently using a Titleist 975d and have used an R580XD, which I found to be ok. But which would you choose and why?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

I would choose the R7 over the R5. Fair, enough if you have a slice then the R5 will make your shots go straight. But, some people get out of the slicing technique and the draw bias on the r5 will cause you to hook the ball. If this happens with the r7, at least you can change the weights to suit your swing.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Dman_15

R5 for me ( the moveable weights one, not the type 'n' or 'd' ) over the R7 TP

I've no experience of the non TP models

The R5 I found was more forgiving but the R7 is easier to work. Dont get me wrong, you can work the R5 but not as nicely as the R7.
    The flights were very similar, the R7 seemed to go a little higher for me and hence was a bit shorter.

The two ar very similar, R5 looks smaller at address, is more forgiving and goes longer.

I dont need to tell you the the shaft choice is all important.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭css

Dman_15 wrote:
    I dont need to tell you the the shaft choice is all important.......

Oh tell me about it.... I found that out years ago when i was mysteriously slicing the ball... turned out a stiff shaft sorted that one out!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

i have an R5, with the moveable weights. I have it setup slightly favoring the draw. While I an loosing 15-20yrds off the tee, compared to my previous driver (A Cobra), I can shape my shots now and my confidence has grown greatly with it. I am a "natural" slicer. I can draw, fade and keep it straight with this driver. One of my better purchases.

p.s. I have a regular flex shaft and a 9.5d loft.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

O so the r5 and r7 both have weights? i thought the r7 quad was the 0nloy one?

Well im hitting the R& cause I've hit a few of them and they are simply put....BEAST!

• Advertisement

O so the r5 and r7 both have weights? i thought the r7 quad was the 0nloy one?

Well im hitting the R& cause I've hit a few of them and they are simply put....BEAST!
    I have come across some R5's witout the weights. I think (although i'm not sure) that an earlier version had no weight while the later version (the 1 I have) does.

Hobart wrote:
    I have come across some R5's witout the weights. I think (although i'm not sure) that an earlier version had no weight while the later version (the 1 I have) does.

The TP and tour versions have 2 moveable weights.

Just an update, i went out to Celbridge last night, and tried out the R5 and a ping G5. I ended up buying the R5, so i guess i was happy with it!! I had a look at the R7 and didn't like it at address, so ruled it out without even trying it.

css wrote:
    Just an update, i went out to Celbridge last night, and tried out the R5 and a ping G5. I ended up buying the R5, so i guess i was happy with it!! I had a look at the R7 and didn't like it at address, so ruled it out without even trying it.

I thought the r7 looked wrong at adress somehow too, couldn't put my finger on it

You'll love the R5, mine just keep surprising me like 'I didnt think you could hit it into that drain from the tee' :(

I've started using my 3 wood a lot more, and thats a good thing if you catch my drift

To be honest, distance isn't my worry.. I'm usually 290 yards+ carry, and that was with my old titleist.. It's consistancy i was after, i don't usually slice/hook either, but i wasn't always finding the sweetspot, and hit a good few shots off the toe of the old titleist, which should be a helluva lot harder with this baby.. At least that's the plan!!

I'm using my 975f 16.5 a lot at the mo, and i'm up with almost everybody i play with.. funny that...

I can't recommend that spot in Celbridge enough though.. it's great to be able to hit a club before you buy it, there really should be more places like that countrywide!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭J.R.HARTLEY

The Mcjerks place, thats where i tried my clubs out too, it's great walking away knowing you've hit 20-30 good shots with it and that you can play well with it (otherwise you wouldn't have bought it)

my only suggestion would be that they have a pro that can come out and suggest to people trying the clubs what to get shaft loft etc, and actally spend a little time with the person trying out the club.

Just an update on it. Happy out with the club. It's no longer than my old club, but not any shorter either. Much much much more forgiving though... I'm still experimenting with the height of the tee to get low/high trajectories when i want them, but overall I'm delighted with it. Definitely gives more confidence driving for now anyhow!

i heard about some new plastic tee that will only go so far into the ground, makes sure your ball is same height all the time, i think you can get them in different heights, might be worth grabbing a hold of, ask at your nearest shop i haven't a clue what they are called.

i heard about some new plastic tee that will only go so far into the ground, makes sure your ball is same height all the time, i think you can get them in different heights, might be worth grabbing a hold of, ask at your nearest shop i haven't a clue what they are called.
    I would not want my ball tee'd up the same height all the time tbh. A different hole might call for a different drive (wind direction, hazards,etc...). There are these brush tee's that give you a consistent height all the time, just not for me though.

ah no man, thats why you can get different heights in them, but every time you want a bog standard drive you use the bog standard tee, you don't use it on every shot, that'd just be silly.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

yeah ive decided to buy myself the r7 come summer time, both my drivers illegal =( , though is the ban for every comp come 08, or is it in at the moment with gui events?

I bought a bag of them on birdie credit at the pro shop.. They just get a bit harder to put into the ground, but will go in alright..

cool, good luck with the new club man

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

I recently bought the r7 and from the first match played with it, it is a beautiful club to hit. I hit almost every fairway and I found that I didn't need to adjust the weights to make it go straight. It just jumped off the clubface with a nice straight trajectory and landed on the fairway

(The Doc) I would strongly recommend this club

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭Halo

i recently hit the new r7 425, and i love. beautiful hit and big distance.
    i have the titleist 905t and theres now comparison between these!
    425 all the way!!http://www.taylormadegolf.com/product_detail.asp?pID=11

Advertisement