Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tetris DS!

Options
  • 11-01-2006 5:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭

During the Christmas holidays I played Tetris for the first time in absolutely ages. As you can imagine I couldn't stop playing the fucking thing, constantly wanted to top my scores.

Tetrominoes_letter_oriented.png

Yeah, a new Tetris game feels horribly unoriginal, especially for the likes of the DS. But it's online, and couldn't come at a better time now that I'm hooked on all them blocks. More info here. Looking at a Spring release apperantly.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,474 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Yep, late march in the States, here soon after.

I'll be interested to see how they use the touchscreen (without making it gimmicky). Once you get to level 8+, the last thing you want to do is take your hands off the controls......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭TheAlmightyArse

Screenshots linked in the article's comments:

http://dsmedia.ign.com/ds/image/article/680/680556/tetris-ds-20060110010021341.jpg

http://dsmedia.ign.com/ds/image/article/680/680556/tetris-ds-20060110010022169.jpg

It's a little busy around the bit of the screen where you're actually playing Tetris, isn't it? I don't like the way it's shifted over to the left either. Hopefully there's a vanilla mode for crotchety bastards like me, because online play sounds lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

Is it just me, or does one screenshot show someone playing mario and tetris at the same time?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

As long as it has the original GB music, I'll get it.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

*takes out Tetris cartridge and GBA SP*
    *hums Tetris music*
    Ahh, memories. I'll have to get my hands on the DS one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

must actually get myself a copy of the original tetris. sold it with my old game boy years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

looks good!!

Loads of good games coming out now for the DS.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭d22ontour

Indeed there are loads of quality games about now but your local game shop will still ask you to buy a psp even though the ds is out selling it worldwide in all regions.

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Irish Halo

evad_lhorg wrote:
    must actually get myself a copy of the original tetris. sold it with my old game boy years ago.

But Original Gameboy Games won't work on DS will they? I have a copy at home and never checked :-/ and home is now the other side of the Irish Sea having moved to London recently!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Jimi-Spandex

Sorry to druge up old threads but...

Played a demo of this today and I must say it's down as a dead cert purchase. Best version of tetris since the old gb one.

The demo I downloaded was just a battle game against a cpu opponent. My screen was the bottom, cpu's was the top. It was the "mario level", as in the background was the warp screen from smb1. The controls were tight, the ai was pretty decent, I got my ass handed to me quite a few times. Took a little time to get used to "holding", this is where you can hold a tetromino by pressing L to be used later, usually one of those straight ones that you always need to get a tetris. Was this feature in older tetris games? I haven't really played many since the old gb version so I don't know.

The vs. game worked as you'd expect, your opp's screen gets grey tetrominos on it if you are doing well and vice versa.

I also played the Brain Training demo. Which was kind of interesting but it had a little trouble recognising my crappy handwriting so I kept on doing horribly. It was a pretty limited demo but I could see it's appeal. The testing is addictive and it has sudoku for those who are interested. I'll get this if it's less than regular price.

• Advertisement
Advertisement