Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

insurance

Options
  • 11-01-2006 12:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭

Hey just wondering, a mate of mine bought a calibra there last week. he cant get insured on it. so he is getting his father insured on it and buying a small cheap car for himself to be insured on that fully comp.
    he said he will be covered to drive other cars so he will also be insured on the calibra. It sounds a bit risky to me.
    have any of ye done this? will he be caught out?
    thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

If the car is in his name, then he could be caught out. If he crashes, he will only have third party insurance, and both he and his father could lose their no-claims bonuses. Assuming the father is already insured on his own vehicle, that could also raise questions in the event of a crash.

Technically he would be driving uninsured (Licensing Cert doesn't necessarily confer ownership on his father), so it's not worth it. There's a very good reason he can't get insured. Tell him to sell the Calibra and buy a vehicle that he's experienced enough to handle.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,965 ✭✭✭✭Stark

monster1 wrote:
    ]he said he will be covered to drive other cars so he will also be insured on the calibra. It sounds a bit risky to me.
    have any of ye done this? will he be caught out?
    thanks.

You can get "open driving" on your insurance but you have to be in a low-risk insurance category. If he's in the situation where he's being turned down for insurance then it's highly unlikely he's going to get open drive off an insurance company.

Before you go thinking about any of this stuff, your friend needs to start driving in the small car to get a feel for what driving is all about. Big cars with big engines are off-limits to inexperienced drivers for good reason, they're a hell of a lot harder to manage. It was pretty stupid of him to go buying the large car straight away and then having to waste his money on a second car, it sounds like he has more money than sense tbh*

*Not that I don't envy the money part

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Did he not try to get an insurance quote at any stage before buying the calibra?

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭monster1

his father isn't driving at the moment and i think he is putting it in his own name, he planned on doing that before buying it.think he's driving over or around two years now. thought two years experience would be enough for him to drive a big car.
    I wouldn't try to do what he is doing myself, just thought i'd ask, do ye know anyone thats done this. i tohught he should of been able to get insured with two years ncb.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

OK lets say the father gets insured on Car A

The son buys Car B, gets insured on it, and on the policy it states "Insured to drive others cars third party"

.... Well then, all 'morals' aside, he's legally insured to drive Car A. Loads of people are at but, however insurance companies are begining to clamp down on it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭69 mustang

Yea I knew of a guy that did that never heard a problem it's not illegal just a loop hole, (he also crashed)
    Also knew people who paid £5000 insurance which is mad.:eek:

High powered cars should not be used by anyone with out having a full licence for more than 5yrs and an advanced driving test cert.
    And not on if you can afford it. (but thats just my view)
    If hes over 25 with a full licence his dads fully comp on the calibra would cover him tpft :)

its not really that powerful though. its a 2.0l 16v eco tec. think its only 136bhp or something like that.its quick enough though.
    thanks for the replies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Big Balls

69 mustang wrote:
    High powered cars should not be used by anyone with out having a full licence for more than 5yrs and an advanced driving test cert.
    And not on if you can afford it. (but thats just my view)

Eh, why? I'm driving 6 years this year, I'm 23... why should I not be allowed drive the 200bhp car I drive with the money I work hard to earn???

Idiot. :rolleyes:

Big Balls wrote:
    Eh, why? I'm driving 6 years this year, I'm 23... why should I not be allowed drive the 200bhp car I drive with the money I work hard to earn???

You probably can, but "because I can afford it" isn't a reasonable reason. I can afford to own a shotgun, so by definition, should I be allowed? I wouldn't be so insistent on the advanced driving test, however.

monster1 - does he have a full licence? I would consider 136bhp to be a powerful car. Enthusiats might scoff at it, but it's more powerful than 90% of what's on the road.

seamus wrote:
    You probably can, but "because I can afford it" isn't a reasonable reason. I can afford to own a shotgun, so by definition, should I be allowed? I wouldn't be so insistent on the advanced driving test, however.

Well until people like you make the laws on the land I think I'll feel safe enough in my 'high performance car' thanks.

There's nothing in my driving experience record, insurance record or any other record to say I am not fit to drive or own one.

Jesus lads, you really have too much time on your hands.

What's next, 2 pints per night if you're under 30? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

think his test is in a couple of weeks.He got the small car he is insuring himself on for next to nothing. he doesnt have loads of money.

Big Balls wrote:
    There's nothing in my driving experience record, insurance record or any other record to say I am not fit to drive or own one.
    Nobody's talking about you personally FFS. If you want to get personal, then I'd have no problem with a 23-year-old with six years' driving experience, no claims and a full clean licence from getting behind the wheel of 200bhp monster.

What I'm talking about (dunno about anyone else) is people with little or no driving experience, or provisional licences, buying machines which are way above their skill level "because I can afford it".

You are restricted on a motorcycle to a maximum power level for two years after getting a full licence, yet you're much more likely to liquefy yourself, your passengers and anyone else who happens to be in you way, when driving a powerful car. Yet in theory, any 17-year-old with no driving experience could buy a vehicle with power that would put a Suzuki Hyabusa (175bhp, max speed > 200mph) to shame, yet weighs 8 times as much. He could also drive this without anybody teaching him, as our Gardai don't seem to care. It doesn't take a scientist to work out the physics...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Big Balls wrote:

Written warning, one more personal insult and you're out. May I suggest if your character can be assessed by the above quote you propebrly should'nt be driving a Micra never mind something with a few horsepower and "look at me" styling.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

monster1 wrote:
    think his test is in a couple of weeks.He got the small car he is insuring himself on for next to nothing. he doesnt have loads of money.

How old is he? If he is over 25 then 123.ie do a fixed premium policy for performance cars, the downside is they have a very high excess.

http://www.123.ie/motor/quote_xs.htm

he's 23. he tried every where but couldn't get a quote. he wanted that car for a long time, so he came across one he liked and had to get it.
    I know ya need some good driving experience before driving a high powered car but he always wanted one, and he doesn't drive like a mad man so why not.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

exactly why not, if he's responsible enough he should be allowed drive it
    unfortunatly all young males are tarnished by the boy racer image by insurance companies and hence have to drive low powered cars until they are deemed fit enough to drive anything with a bit of power

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

monster1 wrote:
    I know ya need some good driving experience before driving a high powered car but he always wanted one, and he doesn't drive like a mad man so why not.
    Unfortunately, any opinions about his driving or maturity are subjective and the computer formula that decides whether to quote him or not is objective. He may well be an excellent safe driver but there are plenty more people out there with exactly the same stats that are proven not to be so. I'd love to have a powerful sporty car but the insurance costs kill any aspirations of that and while I don't like it I understand exactly why. Even with one year of NCB and a full clean licence for over four years I'd probably have issues getting a reasonable quote.

Never said it was personal but I fall into this category... so I'm sorry Mike but I'm just as entitled to air my annoyance at comments like this as much as someone is allowed give out about Mary O' saying stuff like 'working like blacks'.
    69 mustang wrote:

mike65 wrote:
    May I suggest if your character can be assessed by the above quote you propebrly should'nt be driving a Micra never mind something with a few horsepower and "look at me" styling.
    Mike.
    Well said.

PS " balls" its the use of the word "idiot" that he was refairing to.
    :rolleyes: You'd make a great TD some day Quoting IDIOT at the end of each point:rolleyes:

As long as people make stupid generalising comments, I'll call them idiots for it.

• Advertisement

Big Balls wrote:
    As long as people make stupid generalising comments, I'll call them idiots for it.
    You'll have a short life on boards so:p

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Ivan E

If it's any help, I currently drive like this. It kind of is a loophole although you do actually need a car to insure in order to benefit from it and of course a person to insure the car you want to drive. Not always easy under the circumstances.

Forget all this nonsense about 'responsible driving' etc being thrown around here, the fact of the matter is that if you like high powered cars and you're a bloke then you're ****ed to put it mildly unless you don't mind throwing stupid money away on insurance.

I'm really surprised there aren't more people doing it. I can insure a low powered car as well as a high powered car at a combined cost lower than just insuring the high powered in my own name.

The way around it is to get your wife, girlfriend to insure your car and you insure hers. You do need to read the small print of your policy but you should be able to insure the small car at a reasonable rate and she should be able to insure the big car at a reasonable rate.

I'm with Axa and it gives me fully comp. on all cars. So I am insured on my wife's car, the big one, which is registered and taxed in her name. Most insurances do 3rd party so that's a factor to watch out for. Her insurance does this and also has the condition that she can drive any car except that of her partner/spouse i.e me.

So technically she can't drive the small car under her insurance. Of course, she is a lady and she has her own insurance so putting her on my own policy actually brings my policy down which makes sense in the stupid insurance world.

As I also have my own policy, for me to go down on her policy makes no difference to it.

It's not exactly how I do it, but its easier to explain it that way. But I save in the region of around 500-600k a year by doing this.

And its nothing to do with experience, I've been driving for 13 years and have nearly 7 years NCB in my own name. I've never crashed and I always feel safer in a high power car because I get to where I want on the road with less risk as I have the power to do so. I can overtake or pull out with the power that prevents me from taking risks.

Yet I am still getting stupid quotes for cars I want to drive. So it's nothing to do with inexperience but everything to do with being a bloke. I'd have no problem getting hammered because of a claim I was responsible or even involved in but that's not the case.

Ivan E wrote:
    I'm with Axa and it gives me fully comp. on all cars. So I am insured on my wife's car, the big one, which is registered and taxed in her name. Most insurances do 3rd party so that's a factor to watch out for. Her insurance does this and also has the condition that she can drive any car except that of her partner/spouse i.e me
    Believe it or not, this makes quite a big difference. Family assets are pooled, so technically both cars belong to you and both cars belong to your wife. It's a loophole for you, but it's perfectly legit.

If you do this with someone who is not your spouse, you're effectively committing fraud by driving on open drive, since most insurance policies will state that you're covered driving another vehicle provided that "the vehicle does not belong to him/her". As I've said before, tax/registration in a person's name does not confer legal ownership.

Being a named driver on someone else's policy on your car, can be OK. There is nothing that states that a person must be the owner to get third party insurance, and a named driver cannot be the owner. But driving *your* vehicle based on the open drive section of your policy on another vehicle is driving uninsured.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭Mod_Man

I know lots of people that do this, its a great loophole...

If you take out an insurance policy on a "low risk" car A and put the "high risk" car B in someone elses name (this is important, you can't be the registerered or legal owner(so don't finance a car in your name either).

You Drive car B with third party cover, the other person drives car A with thrid party cover and if either party crash, they only affect their own no claims bonus. much better than being a named driver....

Only downside is third party cover, but all the reason to make you drive more carfully :)

Advertisement