Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Insurance dilemma

Options
  • 10-01-2006 11:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭

Ok so I was looking to change my car to something more powerfull before my insurance was up this month but i couldnt find anything so i said feck it i'll stay with the car for another year and get and years ncb....

but what ya know am after finding the perfect car just after paying my insurance!

so i was thinking just change it over and pay extra but the trouble is that quinn direct who i'm with wont quote me on the more powerfull car!! grrr

so can i just cancel my current insurance and get my money back and get insured with britton insurance or am i screwed and have to stay with quinn?

Thanks in advance

D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

You can get the money back less 20% or so admin fees. Will Quinn not allow you to transfer the insurnace to the new car? They should do this even if the insurance increases.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Goin from 75 bhp to 160 bhp and apparently quinn direct wont insure me on anything over 120bhp, useless f**ks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

what car are you looking to change from/to

Afaik quinn will take X amount from your policy for your time on cover and i think its 50e admin fees if you cancelled,just make sure you have your quote infront of you before you cancell!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Legally they are obliged to quote you. Ring them and tell them you're just after buying the car. They *MUST* quote you, but chances are it'll be a high quote

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

unfortunately im with quinn direct myself and I've found they're customer service is complete rubbish, they wont help you no matter what once they have your money

recently enough they cancelled my policy because they made a haims of the first bank debit i posted them and because they took too long to post another one out they cancelled the policy for it not being paid on time, no matter how many times it was pointed out to them they were completely at fault

i'd say you'd be doing good to get your money back minus deposit and any admin fees

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Gatster

Any grief from Quinn just threaten them with legal action/reporting them to the consumer watchdog, helps to have a friendly solicitor. That's what I did when they totally tried to screw me and I got back the money they screwed me out of (it was a catch 22 situation where I'd bought the car based on their original quote, and when I paid the balance on the car and collected it the quote suddenly shot up).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,294 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Had a similar problem recently changed from a primera to a 156, had the girlfriend (provisional license) as a named driver. On the phone to get the insurance swapped and I was told they couldn't do it. I'd have to take my girlfriend off the policy, to do this I'd have fax a copy of the cert along with instructions to remove her from the policy and I couldn't even get a quote for the transfer until I did this. I duely did this and rang back, was talking to a different person who said that none of that was necessary, that their terms & conditions had recently changed and that continiuing to have my girefriend as a named driver would not affect my premium. It can be the luck of the draw regarding who you're talking to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

In short using Quinn is nothing short of gambling.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

alias no.9 wrote:
    Had a similar problem recently changed from a primera to a 156, had the girlfriend (provisional license) as a named driver. On the phone to get the insurance swapped and I was told they couldn't do it. I'd have to take my girlfriend off the policy, to do this I'd have fax a copy of the cert along with instructions to remove her from the policy and I couldn't even get a quote for the transfer until I did this. I duely did this and rang back, was talking to a different person who said that none of that was necessary, that their terms & conditions had recently changed and that continiuing to have my girefriend as a named driver would not affect my premium. It can be the luck of the draw regarding who you're talking to.

Did the policy go up when you added the gf to your policy? My gf is 20 and on a provoisional, id love to add her to my policy because when we go out for drives on the Sunday im always knackered driving back. Edit, im with Quinn, car in question is a Rover 214

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Bond-007 wrote:
    In short using Quinn is nothing short of gambling.

They're brutal.

I got a quote from them when I was starting off driving for a starlet, took down the reference number. Phoned the following day for a quote on a different car, gave them the reference number so they'd only have to change the car and I wouldn't have to go through all the same questions again. Basically the girl on the first day took my name down incorrectly and when I copped this on day 2, and told girl2, I was told that I had mislead them on day1 and that they would no longer do business with me, WTF??!?!??

A friend of mine had an accident, she wasn't at fault, both parties were covered by Quinn. Quinn Direct delayed processing the case for 2 years, both parties premiums went to over £4000 punt (about 6 years ago)while all this was going on, and they couldn't switch because they'd un-resolved claims against them.

I've friends in the insurance business and they can't stress enough how bad Quinn are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,294 ✭✭✭alias no.9

JohnCleary wrote:
    Did the policy go up when you added the gf to your policy? My gf is 20 and on a provoisional, id love to add her to my policy because when we go out for drives on the Sunday im always knackered driving back. Edit, im with Quinn, car in question is a Rover 214

No. Old car - primera 2.0TD (88bhp), no difference in cost for me only or me + her, and new car 156 1.8t-spark (144bhp), no difference in cost for me only or me + her. I got the impression that I'll have to take her off at renewal, that their change in terms and conditions only covers transfers of policies, like the OP is concerned with. It shouldn't be a problem if the gf pass her test before august though. I'm 27 with a full licence since 2000 and full NCB and gf is 26.

To the OP, tell them that you've already bought the car and afaik, they have to transfer cover.

Looking to change from a 03 1.4l Ford Focus freedom to a 99 Mitsubishi Colt Mirage 1.6

I was thinking if i told them i had already bought the car and need them to transfer it then they would screw me on the price. Currently pay €1600 fully comp on the focus and got quoted €1700 tpft from britton on the mitsubishi

same thing happened me sparks I got my fathers date of birth wrong and when i went back to tell them they told me they wouldnt do business with me so i just told him to cop on and a few choice remarks and he gave me a quote.

so i know how stupidly bad quinn are, which is why i'm not looking forward to dealing with them, wish i had a seceratary ( a sexy one ) :)

Are you looking at a mivec colt by any chance?

Afaik there coming with the same loadings as vtec civics now which is what the problem could be,i cant get a quote of anyone at the minute of a vtec civic because im under 25,hibernian wont insure it under the ignition either anymore

yeh its a mivec, :( suppose i'll just have to wait and hopefully get another couple of years ncb and then see

just got a quote from Quinn Direct on-line (havent told them I want to change over or anything) for €1,333.05 tpft and €1,660.32 fully comp

I picked Mirage 1600cc, would this be like the mivec or would the mivec cost more than that, it seems very cheap to me

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

I had problems with Quinn in the past too. Shockingly bad. I'd never get insurance from them.

yeh but they seem to be the cheapest even on the mirage, which is confusing because yesterday they wouldnt quote me at all, they seem to be very erratic!

eireal wrote:
    Are you looking at a mivec colt by any chance?

Afaik there coming with the same loadings as vtec civics now which is what the problem could be,i cant get a quote of anyone at the minute of a vtec civic because im under 25,hibernian wont insure it under the ignition either anymore

Eireal - Are you sure its loaded cos of the mivec, quinn direct dont seem to pass any remarks of it, but i dont want to go ahead with it and then if i crash find out i'm not insured cos of a mix up with quinn

Have you rang them and asked for the quote with mivec after the 1.6?the online quotes are normally crap for additional lettering.Even so i would make sure it states mirage mivec on your insurance cert incase you ever are stopped and the cop tries to claim your falsely insured

can you get a mirage without the mivec engine?
    does anyone know what horse power is on it ?

• Advertisement

draffodx wrote:
    can you get a mirage without the mivec engine?
    does anyone know what horse power is on it ?

Theres a 1.1 and a 1.3. Dunno the horse power, but can't be that much.

Theres a 1.1 and a 1.3. Dunno the horse power, but can't be that much.

so theres no actual 1.6 mirage that isnt a mivec?

draffodx wrote:
    so theres no actual 1.6 mirage that isnt a mivec?

mirage = import colt

No idea but even if it exists. Why do you want a 1.6 that isn't a mivec? It won't be that much cheaper then the mivec and not much faster than a 1.3.

mirage = import colt

No idea but even if it exists. Why do you want a 1.6 that isn't a mivec? It won't be that much cheaper then the mivec and not much faster than a 1.3.

i am just trying to find out about it before i ring quinn tomorrow, it is a mivec i'm after but i want to know exactly what i'm trying to insure.

Try whats listed on www.123.ie I always play around with that to get an idea of the loadings.

Advertisement