Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Round Abouts!!!! The Real rules of the road!

Options
  • 10-01-2006 5:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭

Ok this is sumthin that really grinds my gears...... most irish people DO NOT know how to properly....

A. Signal around a round about
    B. Know what lane to approach a round about for their correct exit!

The amount of near misses ive had on round abouts and the person in the wrong lane is shouting and roaring at me as if im in the wrong, this mainly happens for me on the Naas roundabout when exiting naas towards dublin and then again at the red cow round about, according to the rules of the road when approaching a round about and it brakes into two lanes the lane on the left is for the first 2 exits of the round about the second lane when approaching is for anything after...... its crazy the amount of ppl that use the left lane and insist on taking the third exit!!! this does however change on bigger round abouts like the red cow round about but its clearly marked by road signs and white marking on the road which lane to be in, for example when u come off the naas road to head south on the m50 their are 4 sets of lights to go through the lights to lead you onto the round about have 3 lanes...... 1 to go north on the m50 the minddle to go down the naas road and into the city center and the right lane for headin anround the round about an then south on the m50 but once you get past these first lights i take the 3rd lane as supposed to then i come to another set of lights that allows the people coming off the m50 onto the round about the lanes are clearly marked 1+2nd lane into city center / n7 and the rhird lane m50.... now why is it every time i leave this set of lights in the right hand lane d**kheads insist on trying to cut in from the middle lane...... i know know that if they did hit me they would be soooooo f****d and believe me ive been tempted to let one of those idiot hit me but i just couldnt be bothered and have much better things to do on the way home from work!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Believe it or not if you look at the picture in the rules of the road book it clearly shows that you can use the right lane for the second exit as well. So thats both the left lane and the right lane you can use for the second exit.

To me that makes no sense and can be the cause of silly accidents.

I also believed that the left lane was for the first two exits and any other, use the right hand lane. I dont use the red cow roundabout too often but if a person follows the road markings then theres no problem at all.

Stupid drivers doing stupid things will lead to stupid accidents.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Problem is not so much roundabouts as it is the Irish version of roundabouts;

1. Traffic Lights
    2. Not enough capacity at peak times to hold drivers waiting at said lights
    3. No yellow boxes to prevent overloading

Then just add idiots.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Alun

kluivert wrote:
    Believe it or not if you look at the picture in the rules of the road book it clearly shows that you can use the right lane for the second exit as well. So thats both the left lane and the right lane you can use for the second exit.
    That only makes sense if the road on the second exit is a dual carriageway. What should happen in these cases is that the road signage (arrows on the road) should indicate that you can go straight on in the right lane, but here in Ireland it rarely does, leaving you to guess. So, if in doubt, use the leftmost lane if taking the second exit, unless you absolutely know (because you know the road) that there are two lanes on the exit.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Alun

MadsL wrote:
    Problem is not so much roundabouts as it is the Irish version of roundabouts;

1. Traffic Lights
    Will people please stop claiming that this is an Irish phenomenon ... it happens everywhere, really.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Agreed. Except
    Traffic Lights AND Not enough capacity at peak times to hold drivers waiting at said lights AND No yellow boxes to prevent overloading.

Is your standard issue Irish urban roundabout.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭DBK

To be quite honest, yellow boxes don't make a difference. Everyone stops in them anyhow. Also I find a lot of the time on roundabouts are people in the left lane taking the second exit (fine) but cutting right across both lanes so they can drive straight. Now THAT p1sses me off.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,396 ✭✭✭fletch

Rules of Roundabout are
    IF LEAVING BY THE FIRST EXIT approach and enter the roundabout in the left-hand lane signalling a left turn and proceed to leave the round about at that exit

IF LEAVING BY THE SECOND EXIT approach and enter the roundabout in the elft-hand lane but do no signal until you have passed the first exit, then signal a left turn and leave at the next exit

IF LEAVING BY ANY SUBSEQUENT EXIT approach and enter the roundabout in the right hand lane signalling a right turn. Keep in the right hand lane (i.e. the lane next to the centre) As you pass the exit before the one you intend to leave by, signal a left turn and, when your way is clear, move to the other lane and leave at the desired exit.
    Remember that signals are merely indications of intent. They do not confer right of way.
    round0iy.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 15,359 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Hmm, I always thought that you had to signal right up to the last exit before the one you want to leave the roundabout off and then switch to indicating left ?

That screen capture would appear to say only signal to display intent to either switch lanes or exit the roundabout?

On the road it seems like maybe 50:50 are actually doing this , whats correct ?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭m_stan

• Registered Users Posts: 73,439 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

it's not rocket science people. you should be only indicating right if you're in the right hand lane

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Panda Moanium

Generally the practice both here and in the UK is that if you want to exit a roundabout at the second exit you enter from the left lane. However there is at least one town in Ireland (Castlebar) where road markings direct that left lane is for first exit only, all other exits you go in right hand lane.

Works ok if you are aware of it, but all too often you see people not familiar with this situation going in the left lane and then being cut up when they don't take the first exit. From what an earlier poster said, it may comply with the rules of the road per se, but come on folks, lets have some consistency here.....

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭FuzzyWuzzyWazza

Yeah there is a round about in Tallaght (beside the Plaza Hotel) where the left lane is for the first exit only, but this is clearly marked on the road.

there happy esel

• Registered Users Posts: 22,143 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Are round abouts similar to roundabouts? :D

[edit] shift space [/edit]

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 28,800 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Ah the bi-weekly Roundabouts thread! :)

There's a particular roundabout near the office here where I'd say 80-90% of drivers never indicate when taking the right. What's even "funnier" is this roundabout is directly outside the local Garda station. :rolleyes:

Personally I've just started leaning on the horn anytime some idiot does this... the amount of so-called experienced and qualified drivers on the roads in this country that have a total disrespect for the law and other road users is staggering. Most of these idiots shouldn't be let behind the controls of anything more complicated than a tricyle! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭gibo_ie

colm_mcm wrote:
    it's not rocket science people. you should be only indicating right if you're in the right hand lane

.... and turning right..not if you are in the right hand lane and going straight ahead which some people believe!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

Kaiser2000 wrote:
    Ah the bi-weekly Roundabouts thread! :)
    &
    m_stan wrote:

Yeah,
    sucks2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

Theres also the problem that they are too small for multiple lanes. So large vehicles can't stay in lane to go round them.

Then you have the ones that change the number of lanes as you go around them, 2 to 3 then back to 2 lanes.

Personally I drive in the middle of two lanes so I don't get surprised by anyone. :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭69 mustang

Yeah there is a round about in Tallaght (beside the Plaza Hotel) where the left lane is for the first exit only, but this is clearly marked on the road.

there happy esel
    Also in Blanchardstown as it only has a left and straight exit

The other part people miss out on too is the yield part and look and not punch it and hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

69 mustang wrote:
    Also in Blanchardstown as it only has a left and straight exit

And now ladies and gentlemen, I'll draw your attention to the new roundabout on the old Ratoath road beyond the M50, featuring not one, not two, but three lanes, despite the fact that in links to just four single carraigway roads. For added fun, the new link road to it splits to give three approach lanes.

How many people have a clue to use this, and the nerve to carry it off?

Answers on the back of a tenner to:
    My god what were they thinking Motors Quiz
    Floor 43
    Boards Towers
    D1

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

Longfield wrote:
    Hmm, I always thought that you had to signal right up to the last exit before the one you want to leave the roundabout off and then switch to indicating left ?

That screen capture would appear to say only signal to display intent to either switch lanes or exit the roundabout?

On the road it seems like maybe 50:50 are actually doing this , whats correct ?

The Rules of the road and FLETCH are correct i.e.:

Rules of Roundabout are
    IF LEAVING BY THE FIRST EXIT approach and enter the roundabout in the left-hand lane signalling a left turn and proceed to leave the round about at that exit

IF LEAVING BY THE SECOND EXIT approach and enter the roundabout in the elft-hand lane but do no signal until you have passed the first exit, then signal a left turn and leave at the next exit

IF LEAVING BY ANY SUBSEQUENT EXIT approach and enter the roundabout in the right hand lane signalling a right turn. Keep in the right hand lane (i.e. the lane next to the centre) As you pass the exit before the one you intend to leave by, signal a left turn and, when your way is clear, move to the other lane and leave at the desired exit.
    Remember that signals are merely indications of intent. They do not confer right of way.

• Advertisement
Advertisement