Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Company Car choice

Options
  • 10-01-2006 5:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭

Any advice for my wife. Currently driving and loving Hyundai Coupe 2.0. Apart from the crap sightlines that is...

She's moving job and has a choice of (automatics only - she's American)

Audi A4
    Audi A6
    BMW 320
    Honda Accord
    Mercedes C180
    Jaguar X-Type
    Lexus IS 200
    Saab 93
    Volvo S40
    Volvo S60
    VW Touran
    VW Sharan
    VW New Passat

Any recommendations, she likes sportyish coupes (haven't included the A3 too hatchbacky) - I'm thinking the Merc, but probably v pricey leather seats option...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭spartacus93

Personally I'd get the A6 or the Is200. Not fond of the New Passats or the other two VWs you mentioned.

Why get an A4 when you can get an A6?

Edit@ just read the end of the post, if she doesnt need the room in the back (the A4 is tight in the back) the A4 is sportier looking than the A6!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

This is probably something that your wife will lose hours of sleep over.

A good choice would be the Honda Accord.

Would she not consider the new Suzksi Swift.

Think BIK (PRSI), alot of money to give to the revenue for a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Ignore the A6 (she has the option of paying more to get an A6, E200 or whatever - ain't gonna happen!)

This is probably something that your wife will lose hours of sleep over.

Not really. She gobsmacked her last leasing company when they asked her 'what colour do you want it in?' - she said 'I don't care'. Guy fainted, first time he had had a woman not give a damn what clolour car she got!!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Why get an A4 when you can get an A6?
    Not everyone wants to drive the biggest car possible. An A4 is plenty big enough for me, the A6 feels like a tank, and I'd much rather have an A4 with all the gadgets than a poverty spec A6 any day.

• Advertisement

Would she not consider the new Suzuki Swift.

Give her some credit. What a shopping trolley that thing is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭UberNewb

I don't think any of those cars are sporty! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Honda Accord is probably the sportiest.

i think its a sexy car anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 596 ✭✭✭DirtyDog

UberNewb wrote:
    I don't think any of those cars are sporty! :o

Totally agree, unless she goes for the higher engines in the A4? thats about it when it comes to sporty IMO!

• Registered Users Posts: 73,439 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

IS200 is discontinued, replaced by the gorgeous IS250, if this is on the list, there can only be one choice (or the A6)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,202 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

colm_mcm wrote:
    IS200 is discontinued, replaced by the gorgeous IS250, if this is on the list, there can only be one choice (or the A6)

Or the even better IS220D which has 180bhp. :)

there's no chance of getting a 220D, first they're not launched. second, dealers will be trying to make as much money on them as possible, and so are unlikely to be available to contract hire/fleet buyers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

Go for the c-class

A merc is a merc at the end of the day

• Registered Users Posts: 51,202 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

colm_mcm wrote:
    there's no chance of getting a 220D, first they're not launched. second, dealers will be trying to make as much money on them as possible, and so are unlikely to be available to contract hire/fleet buyers

According to http://www.lexus.ie/lexus_cars/is_new/pricing/index.asp it is listed as the entry model of the range.

Had a quick look and a chat about the Mazda RX-8. Perfect in every way, in budget, sporty as hell, cool suicide doors.

Check the oil every 2 tanks of petrol...wtf!!! No way.

Oh, well...prob the merc then. Crossfire is too damn expensive, as is the Elise (!)

Anything else out there as an alternative to the mundano corporate fleet family saloon jobby. 2+2 coupe ideally.

Is the BMW M2 out yet??

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭elusiveguy

an RS200??? Same as the IS with a 202bhp yamaha beams engine and sportier suspension??

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Why is it alway me that has to point out the Saab ??

Plenty sporty, methinks (1.8 t 150 bhp, 2.0t 175 bhp, 2.0t 210 bhp ...or if the budget stretches to the Aero version ...2.8 liter V6 turbo, 250 bhp , 345 Nm)

also available as wagon (which looks alot classier than the saloon IMO)

http://www.saab.com/main/image/ignite/2006/exterior/93_WAGON/side/1082110110.jpg

bazz26 wrote:
    According to http://www.lexus.ie/lexus_cars/is_new/pricing/index.asp it is listed as the entry model of the range.

indeed, the 220d is cheaper than the IS250, but the demand for the diesel is far stronger than the petrol. pity there's no auto option on the diesel

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Doing a bit of looking in a similar vein, but I'm paying, and it won't be new:D

Audi A4 - Excellent, but I think it seems small
    Audi A6 - Not as good as above, esp if the budget is tight!
    BMW 320 - Excellent, though I don't like the styling, not sure if in automatic that they're the 'ultimate driving machine'
    Honda Accord - Dunno, never worked its charms on me
    Mercedes C180 - No,no, big mercs are fine, this id the dross
    Jaguar X-Type - If I didn't have to service it, it would be under consideration
    Lexus IS 200 - As others have said the 200 is gone, had a rep for being underpowered, so the IS250 should sort that
    Saab 93 - Very sporty options there
    Volvo S40 - No, a little small
    Volvo S60 - Top of my short list at the moment, spacious, 5 cylinder 2.0T as base
    VW Touran - No,
    VW Sharan - No, just no.
    VW New Passat - Slightly above repmobile territory

Consider the Saab 95 too

• Advertisement

Borzoi wrote:

Consider the Saab 95 too

have you SEEN the facelifted 9-5? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

As a dealer working for a premium brand, I have a few bits of advice. Saab's don't hold value unless you trade for another Saab, and Honda's just don't hold value unless it's a private sale. Plus the trend we're seeing in the trade, that Honda drivers tend to be pensioners. Merc's build quality has lapsed, and the target audience also seems to be an older generation.

If I had the choice, it'd be the 320 (Waiting list of about 3 months), Lexus, A4 with toys rather than A6. Oh, and stay away from the overpriced Ford (The Jag).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

Would she not take a car allowance and buy a seat altea FR, very sporty, very very fast, economical, lots of space etc.. the pics don’t do it any justice but they are really great cars and stand out for the right reasons. Also they're very famine machines, if there is such a thing.

http://www.seat.com/com/generator/su/com/modelFR/site/choices/models/fr/start/main.html

Theres also an auto DSG option, which is found on the GTi, TT, and other VAG cars.

what a ridiculous looking car, like a Scenic GTI

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

beauty.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 65,226 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Getting a feeling of deja-vu. You post something like this before?
    MadsL wrote:
    Audi A4
    Audi A6
    BMW 320
    Honda Accord
    Mercedes C180
    Jaguar X-Type
    Lexus IS 200
    Saab 93
    Volvo S40
    Volvo S60
    VW Touran
    VW Sharan
    VW New Passat
    MadsL wrote:
    she likes sportyish coupes

Now you got me confused. The ONLY sportyish coupe in above list is the BMW as long as you get the coupe, not the saloon (and discounting the thing that should never have been, the MB C180 Sports Coupe :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,336 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

ned78 wrote:
    As a dealer working for a premium brand, I have a few bits of advice. Saab's don't hold value unless you trade for another Saab, and Honda's just don't hold value unless it's a private sale. Plus the trend we're seeing in the trade, that Honda drivers tend to be pensioners. Merc's build quality has lapsed, and the target audience also seems to be an older generation.

Isn't it a company car so it doesn't matter if it holds value or not.

I'd go for a Saab 93 - Aero or convertible if possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭UberNewb

unkel wrote:
    Getting a feeling of deja-vu. You post something like this before?

Now you got me confused. The ONLY sportyish coupe in above list is the BMW as long as you get the coupe, not the saloon (and discounting the thing that should never have been, the MB C180 Sports Coupe :rolleyes:

Yeah, I'm thinking that from the list above he's looking for a sporty engine and not a sporty look, otherwise there just normal cars which I wouldn't class as sporty. :p

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

I reckon the Accord is the sportiest looking of your original list, they're also loaded with extra's.

I think the A6 is a savage looking car, and have done for a while, but not that sporty, more of a 'get the f**k out of my way' type machine..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭pbergin

Sparks400 wrote:
    I reckon the Accord is the sportiest looking of your original list, they're also loaded with extra's.

I have an accord and absoutely love it, I have a 2.0L executive, it has every extra possible, given the choice Id go for the 2.4, in black, with the 17" alloys with black leather interior, yummmmm, Ive also heard great stories about the 2.2 disel

Advertisement