Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opteron or X2

Options
  • 10-01-2006 5:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭

I am currently considering getting a X2 4400 or a similar Opteron. What are your opinions on these chips. Has anyone had any experience overclocking either of these?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Madong

Optikus wrote:
    I am currently considering getting a X2 4400 or a similar Opteron. What are your opinions on these chips. Has anyone had any experience overclocking either of these?

PC plus has a 5 page great article in the Deceber issue on all chips AMD and Opteron, might help ! Overclcoking is tested ! might help you.

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Opteron 165, is a beast, each core has 1mb L2 cache and its only around €350, most people get them to at least 2.6ghz

BUY BUY BUY:D :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

I've had experience with OCing the early X2s. You'll be very lucky to get two good cores. One is often much better than the other. Even still, and X2 4400 should reach 2.4-2.6Ghz per core. IMO dual core rocks!

I've no experience of the Optys though.

Wizzard, I see you just spent 2K on a rig, what a deal the 2 7800gtxs and the fx57 would cost 2k alone;) ;)

I hope it serves you well, and please post some benchies, when you get it

Optikus, have a look here

forums.amd.com

conzymaher wrote:
    Opteron 165, is a beast, each core has 1mb L2 cache and its only around €350, most people get them to at least 2.6ghz

Where can you get them?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Optikus

conzymaher wrote:

800mhz OC is nice alright. what kind of voltages are people using to get that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Madong

conzymaher wrote:
    Wizzard, I see you just spent 2K on a rig, what a deal the 2 7800gtxs and the fx57 would cost 2k alone;) ;)

curiuos too ?

What the hell???????

Komplett have no more opterons, they are gone :mad: :mad:

Around 1.5 - 1.6v does it, I saw a thread on the AMD forum about a guy Ocing a opteron 170, I will see can i find it

It will be hard to find a opty now because, AMD stopped selling them to retailers and they are only available for corporations after the current batch is gone:(

Jes-Computer have them on the site but are listed as not in stock, wonder if they can get any more?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

In the last two days I've OC'd WizZard's old X2 from 2.2 to 2.6 using 1.58v - On air. Essentially the same as the upcoming FX-60 for the guts of 500 quid.

A mate (Dr_Babyeater he goes by on here) on the other hand took an opteron (146 I think - 1.8, 2MB) to 2.8 on water. 64% increase - shockingly good. An FX for 180 quid I think it cost him.

Have to say his machine is a beast but having gone dual core I will never go back. Dual core really does make my life easier when I'm ripping DVDs and converting avi's and what not - and now that I have both cores running at 2.6 even for gaming now I'm flying.

I have to agree with what WizZard said about it being hard to get two good cores. I've noticed when running 2 prime95's for stable-testing that one seems to start getting through the tests quicker - last night I left it for 13 hours and it was a whole test group ahead on one core. Not a real biggie I guess but I did notice that.

• Advertisement

OPtikus, didnt you just buy that fx-55??????

I will take it for €100 if youre feeling generous:D :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Dman_15

IA mate (Dr_Babyeater he goes by on here) on the other hand took an opteron (146 I think - 1.8, 2MB) to 2.8 on water. 64% increase - shockingly good.

I've a 144 @ 3ghz, still testing, but looks stable so far. 1.57v

The early steppings are better, anything after 0545 dont seem to go as well

Mines a CABYE 0536

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

he's here beside me and corrected me - his is a 144 - he has it at 2.8GHz and it's prime95 stable.

3.0GHz was no problem for the likes of SuperPi and general usage but he wanted it 100% stable so 2.8GHz it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,993 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Has to be an opteron if you can get a good one!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

im personally going to go opteron if i can get a decent one through ebay. There are guys with 146's @ 3.4ghz on single stage phase which is what i am using, i am gonna try and get my hands on one of those steppings

I've just ordered an Opteron 165 from jes-computer, they were not able to tell me the exact stepping, so i'm just going to have to hope its a good one.

I've been keeping an eye on ebay. Some of the 170s with guaranteed OC are going for €600-700 :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,141 ✭✭✭masteroftherealm

*droooooolllllsss at Wizzards new sig*
    Have to get that into the v2000 and on water man!!

Yeah Id go for a 165 best of both worlds!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

Im picking up an opty 144 tomorrow... Need to get to work on the rest of the system asap.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,141 ✭✭✭masteroftherealm

Nice what stepping is it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

its a cab2e 0548 epaw

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Ok, so all this talk about opterons, what are the socket 940 opterons like on komplett? Are they a waste of money or will they perform similar to the 939 ones?

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Dman_15

DirkVoodoo wrote:
    Ok, so all this talk about opterons, what are the socket 940 opterons like on komplett? Are they a waste of money or will they perform similar to the 939 ones?

only the early 939's overclock.

Advertisement