Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Panel Beaters in Cork

Options
  • 10-01-2006 3:54pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭

Any recommendations please? Just got a quote for a bashed-in door of 1200, which is ridiculous. They told me that they don't do door skins any more, is that right? And what about spurious parts - they went to the main dealer for parts - can you get doors or do you have to go to a junkyard?

adam

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

What kind of car is it? I'm a panel beater and if its a new door it doesn't sound out of the way to be honest. If its an older car you could find a s/h door the same colour and just swap doors. Generally speaking if its relatively new apart from swapping the guts of the door you'll end up painting the side of the car hence the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

Dineen on the Waterfront by the Marina Indust park. Has a Excellent Rep going to get some work done there myself.

I'm not knocking him but I'd say his standard of work is just only acceptable, its a bit of a production line there and everything seems a bit of a rush and hes not cheap. Most of the panelbeaters in the city have high overheads so they tend to cut corners. By the way I'm not looking for work myself if anyone thinks I am. I would say Mike Hallahan in Cloyne in co. Cork is probably the best panel beater I have ever come across here or the U.K. and I'm fussy, but he's not cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,577 ✭✭✭maidhc

Im sure there is a guy in Mahon did a good job on the grandfathers A4 (I could never spot any repair). I cant remember the name though. It might even be Dineen. He collected the car from his house and dropped it back and all. Wasnt expensive either.

I find Rigney's in Dungourney excellent, and definately cheaper than around the city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Ken drives a BMW 5 series of the e34 variety I think, I imagine there are spurious parts availible or failing that a breakers yard. Sure it might be the wrong colour but a respray and fiting wont cost 1200!

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

I still stand by Dineen anyway, Paying 100 Euro more than other panel beaters but i no his work is top notch so the 100 is well worth it.... They have just opened a New larger place by the docks with D Henderson Garage.

Paul Hogan in Carragaline has a gunmetal gray E34 BMW with a very good drivers side on it, Gerry Horgan in Middleton has a white one and a red one with all the parts still intact, Donal Keohane up by the airport has a few also. Let me know what colour your looking for and I'll more than likely know where you can get parts for it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

It's not my car lads, it's a '00 4dr Polo. Front passenger door. Someone smashed into it over christmas and say they'd prefer to pay cash, however I'd say €1200 might change their mind. And again, that's for cash. Even I'd be embarassed to go to someone with that price. It's scandalous.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭hefty_langer

just as a matter of interest what would it cost to get a drivers side door of a clio resprayed? (or the whole side should I say?)

There should be loads of them around second-hand, let me know which door and what colour and I'll find one. Get the right colour and you'd change the door in 20 minutes. Expect to pay 120 to 150euros for a complete door( save stripping your own and give the damaged door back to the car dismantler) This is the cheapest option.

Re: Painting the side of the Clio, it generally costs about 100 euros per panel for a good job, I presume its metallic? A panel is a door or a wing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭hefty_langer

aha - you see I have already sourced a door but its the wrong colour!! :) I have silver 99 4 door Clio with a blue drivers door!! Do you reckon I could do a swap (with €50 perhaps for a silver one? ) cheers!

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Cronin Motors in Ballinure is the "guy in Mahon".

Noel Cronin in the Marina also has a good rep - he's at the ESB end of the industrial estate.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

junkyard wrote:
    There should be loads of them around second-hand, let me know which door and what colour and I'll find one.
    Front passenger door (4dr), bright red.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

ken - It just so happens a friend of mine has one in his shed, but im not sure if its off a 2dr or 5dr, ill find out. It's red.

He got it from Trainers in the North, Only cost him 60euro I think. TBH id say it'd cost more than 60euro to post the door down to you, id definately give Trainers a ring.

Changing a door can be more expensive than people think, its not just a matter of 2 hinges. Theres lots of electronics for electric windows/central locking/locks in the drivers door. I learned this when I stupidly did a favour for a friend... took about 2 hours to do! (Then again im no mechanic)

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭thelurcher

Can't think of the name but he's up forge hill - did a job for me recently - average price when i rang first but gave a nice discount when it came to paying up :)
    Good job too and ahead of time.

Advertisement