Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

ABS in Golf Mk IV?

Options
  • 10-01-2006 3:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭

Hi there have a quick question for ye,

I have a 98 mark IV golf 1.9 TDi. i have it about six months.

I have never ever had a problem with the braking in the car, but last night a guy pulled straight out in front of me and I had to slam on the brakes and they did this really strange thing.
    It was as if something was pushing back up against the brake pedal and it didnt go in as easy. they also made this really strange noise as if something was caught in the front wheels and the car sorta jerked foward a few times. please tell me that this is the ABS! i dont know as ive never had it on a car before or heard anyone talk about it.
    it shook me up a bit at the time as in such an emergency like that i nearly felt like i wanted take my foot of the brake because of the way it felt!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

If it has ABS thennyou will have a clearly indicated ABS lamp on your dash which lights every time you switch on !

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭homerjk

Sorry if I wasnt clearer, yes the car does have ABS.
    I was asking is this situation that happened to me the ABS kicking in?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Alun

The only times I've ever experienced the ABS kicking in has been at relatively low speeds on slippery or icy roads. I'm not sure how to describe the sensation ... it wasn't a violent pushing back or resistance in the pedal, more like a gentle vibration coming up through the brake pedal accompanied by a loudish clicking sound. Maybe if you were in a situation where you really had to slam on the anchors, the effect would be more noticeable, I don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

Yup, sounds like ABS in action. A kinda grinding (not a good word to use - but descriptive) feeling up through your brake pedal along with a tight(er) feel to the brake pedal itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭homerjk

ciarsd, thanks thats exactly it!
    was worried i might have shell out to get something fixed!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭Con_316

Abs on some cars is actually rather disconcerting because it can make you feel out of control. On a renault megane i have to save my "nice" cars the abs is horrible and feels like the cars fecked but it's just always like that. I have noticed that on some of the small back roads near where i live it's bloody scary as sometimes it'll come on with oly the slightest tap of the pedal and i've suddenly got no brakes at all and have to use the handbrake. a few peole with meganes i've asked also say this happens to them on small muddy roads and/or grassy bits. Nearly hit a tractor due to that. Have met him loads of times in my old 325i beemer with no abs and even though it might lock the wheels, it stops way better.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Yeah, sounds like the ABS, I've a seat leon (same as mkIV golf) and the first time it kicked in for me was going over a pothole, the pedal felt like it was pushed back up and there was kind of a vibration, a bit like pulling a cable tie closed, I thought I'd broken a disc or calliper or something at first.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

homerjk wrote:
    it shook me up a bit at the time as in such an emergency like that i nearly felt like i wanted take my foot of the brake because of the way it felt!

Has been known to happen I believe when people experience ABS for the first time.
    If you know somewhere with lots of gravel at low speed - 10 mph if you brake hard the ABS will probably operate,just to reassure yourself.

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 65,226 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

It was the ABS alright. All cars sold in the EU have ABS as standard since last year iirc. It is not a law or a ruling, but a convenant between manufacturers, and a good thing at that
    Con_316 wrote:
    Abs on some cars is actually rather disconcerting because it can make you feel out of control

It shouldn't! The great thing about ABS is that the car is still steerable while braking. Also works when the driver panics and just slams the foot on the brake. Without ABS this can also be achieved but only by extremely competent drivers / professional racing drivers using cadence braking
    Con_316 wrote:
    Have met him loads of times in my old 325i beemer with no abs and even though it might lock the wheels, it stops way better.

BMWs generally have superior braking systems, something not that widely reported in the press

Advertisement