Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance For Laptops

Options
  • 10-01-2006 1:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭

Any recommendations for insurance to cover theft ,accidental damage ?

Looked at the one that Dell are selling with their computers and it seems to cover theft as well but is very pricey . Does anybody have any experiences with Dell insurance and know what exactly it will cover.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭daywalker

Generally the extra warranty cover offered by computer manufacturers can be pricey, in most cases your home insurance may cover the laptop against theft and /or accidental damage. Check with your home insurer to see if they will cover it before going for the dell warranty.

AFAIK the dell warranty will cover you in the case of accidental damage, in case of theft they will most likely have a number of conditions like ensuring the laptop was not in full view or in an unlocked car.house etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭irlrobins

many house insurance policy's DON'T cover laptops. Looked into this before for someone and most companies would not cover laptops under house insurance.

So your only option is to get separate laptop insurance but not all insurance companies offer this.

Best way to see if the Dell offer is good is to get quotes for similiar cover from other sources. That will tell u if Dell is ripping you off.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

Home insurance or manufacturers is the only route if its not for a business. If you not a home owner then house insurance won't cover it. I'd budget for insurance if I were you as laptops break/get stolen, and in many cases the repairs are the same price as buying a new laptop.

I bought insurance on my Sony. Must check when its up...

Advertisement