Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

clarinet players?

Options
  • 10-01-2006 12:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

Im considering taking up the clarinet. I used play the recorder, from the descount, treble, tenor up to the bass. Stopped playing when i was 14 or 15 had done all the acadamy exams. I also played piano for a few years.

Im 25 now and have hardly touched an instrument in the last 10 years, really miss that feeling of being caught up in a piece you have learnt really well though.

So i heard the clarinet is a good instrument to follow on from the recorder and i like jazz and classical music. If i was ever to play in a band id love it to be some kinda jazz or blues improv group.

Ive been looking at whats involved, so far all ive found is that Waltons on Georges street have a learner instroment for 180euro and they have a set of 12 week lessons for about 250euro.

Does anyone have any advice on any aspect of this cus im a little apprehensive about that big an outlay on what is still a bit of a whim. I am eager to learn an instrument again but i wanna go about it the right way.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Rustar

Have you considered the saxophone? The fingerings and embrochure (the way you hold your mouth to push air through the mouthpiece) are essentially identical on clarinet and sax. Both are fun to play and and make beautiful sounds, but you might find more opportunities to play in different kinds of settings with a sax. And if you play one, you can easily learn the other.
    The alto sax is a great analog to the clarinet....I recommend staying away from the soprano, though, they require a lot more mouth control to keep in tune. The only drawback is that the alto is in Eb whereas the clarinet, soprano sax, and tenor sax are in Bb. You'll have to pay special attention to learning to play in different keys, or get your guitarist friends to play in certain keys.
    Saxes cut a lot better in a group setting, too....you won't need amplification for a sax unless you are playing with a loud rock band.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 sim19

Actually yeah the sax came to mind 1st but for some reason i assumed the clarinet would be easier to start with altough this assumption isnt really based on anything.

I also think the sax is probably alot more expensive to find a starter instrument.

If there was no significant difference in difficulty between them and i could find a reasonably priced starter sax i would probably go for it.

Am i right in thinking more wind/breath is required for a sax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Rustar

sim19 wrote:
    Actually yeah the sax came to mind 1st but for some reason i assumed the clarinet would be easier to start with altough this assumption isnt really based on anything.
    Either one is fairly easy to learn, as I mentioned very similar embrochures and fingerings.
    sim19 wrote:
    I also think the sax is probably alot more expensive to find a starter instrument.
    Just a quick search on Musician's Friend showed me that good quality student clarinets go for about $300 and alto saxes start at roughly $400.
    Musician's Friend doesn't specialize in band instruments, however....you can probably pick up a playable instrument of either type for $300. (even better, check Ebay, and get a higher quality used instrument for that money)
    sim19 wrote:
    If there was no significant difference in difficulty between them and i could find a reasonably priced starter sax i would probably go for it.

Am i right in thinking more wind/breath is required for a sax.
    Marginal air difference between clarinet, alto, and tenor sax. Certainly nothing like the flute....I start blacking out and having hallucinations when I try to play the flute! :v:

Advertisement