Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Can't Insure Seat Inca Van

Options
  • 09-01-2006 7:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭

Hi i am trying to insure a seat inca van but have been refused by 3 places already. I have a car insured and decided to get a van for work . They asked me was it private insurance and I said yes. When i told them it was a Seat Inca Van they said cant insure van as private so i said right ill go commerical. They asked what I worked at and then told me that commerical only covers builders etc...

I play in a band and it would be handy for transporting gear around and i could also use it for driving to and from work (computer services). I thought anybody could own a van but according to them its not the case. There has to be a way around this so any help would be great. I have 8 yrs full license no claims so i cant see a problem.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,488 ✭✭✭Ginger83

Hey man, for three years I had a megavan insured privately for my own personal use. Its was insured with Quinn Direct for all three years and on my last year which would be last sept my quote was €647 third party. I did of course have to pay private tax but the overall cost to me was cheaper than a car. Give them a ring and check them out, My partners father has the same policy I did and he is 62.Hope this is of use to you

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭jayo2004

they were one of the companies who refused me. I'll ring them back it does'nt make sense.

Just checking online sites and they dont list Seat Inca either (https://www.allianzdirect.ie http://www.123.ie/motor/)
    when trying to insure.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

We are with Quinn Direct for the last 4 yrs and only today we have found out what rip off artists they are, we have a new van (1.4 206) and they wont do it as a seperate policy just for me, because afterall i dont want to be paying a premium to be driving my dads jeep.

They were looking for €800 for my dad, which he pays already, then to add the 206 to the existing policy, €546.67 per year and me to be insured on both vans €2200 per year.

NO GO.

Rang FBD they will do a seperate policy for each van €700 for my dad and €1100 for me per year. All fully Comp with open driving.

So try fbd, we have saved a load with them.

And also i never really asked, but as far as i know you cant get a commercial insurance policy without a VAT number, im not sure if this is true but someone mentioned this to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭Con_316

That's unusual. A friend's changing from his old starlet to a small van and he got quotes of €950 from fbd and quinn direct on a 1.7 diesel opel combo, approx €1200 for a golf van and 1174 for a Kangoo van. Third party, he's 19 (nearly 20, suppose that'll make a difference, it usually does) and lives in rural clare. If he put the combo on his father's farm insurance it'd be €674 but his father wont allow him on it unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18 mygt

If you can't get a quote from any single insurance company, then legally the very first company you requested a quote from has to provide you with a quote.

Obviously they may give you a high quote, but if you accept it then they have to cover you. This has been discussed on Joe Duffy's show and the likes many many times over....

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭tapest

jayo2004 wrote:
    Hi i am trying to insure a seat inca van but have been refused by 3 places already. I have a car insured and decided to get a van for work . They asked me was it private insurance and I said yes. When i told them it was a Seat Inca Van they said cant insure van as private so i said right ill go commerical. They asked what I worked at and then told me that commerical only covers builders etc...

I play in a band and it would be handy for transporting gear around and i could also use it for driving to and from work (computer services). I thought anybody could own a van but according to them its not the case. There has to be a way around this so any help would be great. I have 8 yrs full license no claims so i cant see a problem.

I had a van insured as "private vehicle" and "private commercial vehicle" for 13 years (same van). Different brokers kept changing policy type to reduce premium. But here's one to investigate, if all else fails...turn it into a "car" by removing side panels and replacing with glass,
    Just my 2 cents
    Regards
    t

• Registered Users Posts: 7,675 ✭✭✭whippet

a few years back I looked into getting private insurance on a TDI caddy van.

I called FBD who I was insured with, they initially said no. I kept at them and they then asked why I wanted a van. I said that I do quite a bit of horse riding and my car was getting destroyed with dirty gear and equipment and I wanted a van as it was better suited. They then gave me a quote which was about half what I was paying on a 1.2L car.

You just have to justify why you want a van, they will assume it is for business needs unless you convince them it isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

On commercial insurance, I thought they were legally obliged to qutoe you nowadays. It may be worth contacting the insurance ombudsman about this.

http://www.ombudsman-insurance.ie/

Why not ring up, don't mention the band and say you use your van commercially for computer services.

Thanks for you replies I got a quote from fbd for €540 which is not bad considering. I told them I was into hunting and needed it for hunting gear. Thanks again for your advice.:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Excellent! Good to hear you got sorted.

jayo2004 wrote:
    Thanks for you replies I got a quote from fbd for €540 which is not bad considering. I told them I was into hunting and needed it for hunting gear. Thanks again for your advice.:D

Great, good an ya, im recommending FBD to loads of people now, because they done us a great deal aswell, feck Quinn and their rip off prices ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Isn't it really hard to get insured with fbd though?

draffodx wrote:
    Isn't it really hard to get insured with fbd though?

Well not for us, buisness you see, i havnt said it to many private owners as im not 100% sure if they do private car insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

They do, and you can get quotes from their website.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Rudolph Claus

FBD basically dont want to know you unless you have a full license. If on a provisional, you must have 5years NCB just to get quoted. Who the fook is gonna have a 5yr NCB on a provisional, you`d have to be some retard who just couldnt be bothered doing a test or failed like 5times. (once a year)

FBD are useless to youngsters. Even with a full license, they`ll still rob youngsters, the license is just to get a quote.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,488 ✭✭✭Ginger83

Hey man, nice to hear you got sorted, hit a brick wall myself after, had a van but gave it up for a landcruiser, wanted to get back to van, seen a nice almera 2.2 136bhp but couldnt get quote as under 25, might try something around what I had.Regards!

Advertisement