Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Daily rate for plumbers

Options
  • 09-01-2006 7:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Hello,

What is an acceptable daily rate to pay a plumber? We're getting two rads removed and new ones installed in a different position along the same wall. Got a name from an architect friend. The guy came and quoted €600 for the job. The price is for one day's work for two guys, valves and fittings (probably not very much) but not the rads which we're getting ourselves. Seems high to me but I just don't know. Does it sound about right? Any info would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Seems way too much... get a Pole /Latvian/Estonian

Rrrrrrrip off

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

If your anyway handy, get a DIY book and do it yourself. It's not difficult. Even if you buy a few small tools, Hacksaw, pipe cutter etc you will save a fortune.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭awishawash

I am getting a plumber in this week, he seems very expensive aswell, piping and fitting a radiator - E450, thats supplying the rad, but a rad costs with fittings between E60 and E170.Thats a lot for easy labour. It would be very simple to do it myself but I dont know exactly how to drain down the system. Its the know how and the guarantee of solid workmanship youre paying for i suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

Seems a bit steep alright. But I got a rad moved last year very cheaply ( I knew the plumber). He was in my house till 1am. The reason: He has to drain down heating system and fill it again when finished. There was a major Air-lock which took hours to sort out. Maybe these guys are quoting so much because of that risk- Just a thought ( Or maybe just robbing BA$TARDS)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Roflmao LOL

• Advertisement

rooferPete wrote:
    :d :d :d

Nice:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Judean Reg

A lot will depend on where the original pipes are coming from and how much they have to move. If you have nice wooden floors it's a big job to try and re-pipe the rads and not show the pipework or damage the floor. You do not give enough details to give a realistic opinion on the price, but yes, depending on the environment that the rads are currently in and where they are being moved to, this could be a reasonable price.

My advice with plumbing, if you have furniture/floors/carpet you don't want flood damaged, don't take a risk, get the experts in and let them take the risks for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭floyd333

I had to replace 2 upstairs rads a few weeks ago. Found it hard to get a plumber as my system uses old fashioned "Gun Barrel" pipes. Apparently they are very difficult to work with. Any ways I finally got a guy who quoted me €200. (Bought the rads myself) He did a tidy job. Shop around.

Judean Reg wrote:
    My advice with plumbing, if you have furniture/floors/carpet you don't want flood damaged, don't take a risk, get the experts in and let them take the risks for you.

Provided they are insured!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

floyd333 wrote:
    I had to replace 2 upstairs rads a few weeks ago. Found it hard to get a plumber as my system uses old fashioned "Gun Barrel" pipes. Apparently they are very difficult to work with. Any ways I finally got a guy who quoted me €200. (Bought the rads myself) He did a tidy job. Shop around.
    I wouldn't call GB old fashioned, maybe in houses, but in bigger jobs GB is used more often than copper or plastic.

To the OP, €50-€55 an hour for 2 plumbers is the going rate (depending on the company also) but it's impossible to say if they are ripping you off without seeing what's involved. Why don't you just get an alternative quote. By the sounds of it, if you've gotten theri details from an Architect friend it sounds like you might be dealing with a company that doesn't normally do domestic work, but I suppose I could be wrong on that one.

B.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 gnadsher1970

Thanks to all who replied. Got another guy to have a look at it, recommended by local plumbing suppliers. He came out and quoted €200, a saving of €400. We're going with him. Think the first guy may not be used to doing small jobs, but that's some difference. Glad we shopped around. Thanks again to all.

Advertisement