Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working out how much electric used

Options
  • 09-01-2006 6:40pm
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Lads,

Our neighbour kindly gave us a lead there yonks back to his house for power in our new hut until the ESB discovered it was their job to connect people (they are still figuring it out)!

But anyway we have run the odd kettle for a cup of tea, a couple of 100 watt lights and the sander a few times over the last x amount of months, how roughly would I work out how much electric I might owe this man?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

yop wrote:
    Lads,

Our neighbour kindly gave us a lead there yonks back to his house for power in our new hut until the ESB discovered it was their job to connect people (they are still figuring it out)!

But anyway we have run the odd kettle for a cup of tea, a couple of 100 watt lights and the sander a few times over the last x amount of months, how roughly would I work out how much electric I might owe this man?

Cheers
    crate of beer

or you could go down the hard route of calculating out every single time you used it..

kWh = 1 unit of electricity

eg. you used a 100Watt light for 10 hrs

= 0.1 kw x 10 = 1kWr = 1 unit of electricity

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

yop wrote:
    Lads,

Cheers

Why dont u ask him to compare the bill before u connected and the ones after...? or will he not accept any money...them kettles are the killers !!! :)

kettles cost about 1/12th of a unit to boil a full kettle...roughly every time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi Yop,

Cash to a good neighbour might be seen as an insult, a kind of thanks we don't need you any more.

I take it you want to show your appreciation but don't want to look like you are a "user" ?

I have found a nice piece of Waterford Crystal to be a nice gesture appreciated by both Husband and Wife.

You might consider something similar and when you call over ask how much you owe for the electricity, if the neighbour asks for a crazy figure then you have shown yourself to be the better man.

Pay whatever he asks and if it's a crazy high amount you know where not to call again but you have left the door open ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭squire1

A bottle of 12 year old single malt. You never know, he might even let you share it. When ye both had a few I'm sure an agreeable resolution can be made as to what you owe him for electric.;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

case of whiskey, and then ask him how much u owe him to b sure, the relationship is an important one, ul b most probably neighbours for a long time

Box of Roses...good time to buy now with all chocs going on sale;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

yop,
    We also did this, but used more than just a kettle and a bulb. There was a mixer and other stuff.
    Our neighbours, almost apologetic, told us the increase from their last couple of bills. It seemed reasonable, and they certainley were a great help, so we had no problem in paying them.
    You do not want to get off on the wrong foot with your new neighbours

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Chocs, whiskey the array of suggestions ;)
    Only messing thanks lads.

I think he may not like money, what I did think was that I will work out the lighting costs, which I had a rough calculation is working out about 1200 hours of light since we took a lead at the end of August.
    Then there is the kettle about 10 units all in, then there is misc use about another 10 units, so off to find out how much a unit of electric is!!

yop wrote:
    Chocs, whiskey the array of suggestions ;)
    Only messing thanks lads.

I think he may not like money, what I did think was that I will work out the lighting costs, which I had a rough calculation is working out about 1200 hours of light since we took a lead at the end of August.
    Then there is the kettle about 10 units all in, then there is misc use about another 10 units, so off to find out how much a unit of electric is!!
    about 15c I think

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Gentleman, thank you

Advertisement