Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

registered charity check

Options
  • 09-01-2006 5:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭

Does anyone know a way of verifying a registered charity number?

Is there an online database? What department regulates this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭stormin

I just found this note on a charity site:

There is no statutory (or other) body in Ireland charged with exercising a supervisory role of charities. There is no requirement that charities register nor is there any facility for them to do so. 'Registered charity' status refers to designation by the Revenue Commissioners

Can this be true?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭star gazer

The department of community affairs has this one. it's on the to do list.
    http://www.pobail.ie/en/CharitiesRegulation/

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭stormin

thanks stargazer

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Cyril Squirrel

Is there any Body that regulates/watches how funds that are raised are spent? Who makes sure the monies are spent for the reasons its raised? Is it all a matter of trust?

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭what2do

Hi, I see there is a Charities Regulatory Authority being established - any idea whether it is in operation yet and what info will actually be available?

From what I gather it will list each charity along with their registered number and financial statements?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 bogger09

Is there any Body that regulates/watches how funds that are raised are spent? Who makes sure the monies are spent for the reasons its raised? Is it all a matter of trust?

The "Charities Act" came into effect this year which means that all money raised by charities must be spent on whatever project it was raised for, and all money raised must be counted in the presence of at least two people. There was also a few other little bits to it but they are the main points. Any charity can be audited at any time, and with my experience in a charity it is definately being adhered to for fear of audit.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,480 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

what2do wrote: »
    Hi, I see there is a Charities Regulatory Authority being established - any idea whether it is in operation yet and what info will actually be available?

From what I gather it will list each charity along with their registered number and financial statements?

There is already a list online of all the charities with a CHY number. I've been in touch with the charities section lately and they still say the Authority is on the way.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

if a charity is registered they should have a charity status certificate otherwise know as CHY number - if you have the number you can check on revenue.ie

here is the list

http://www.revenue.ie/en/business/authorised-charities.html

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Cyril Squirrel

bogger09 wrote: »
    The "Charities Act" came into effect this year which means that all money raised by charities must be spent on whatever project it was raised for, and all money raised must be counted in the presence of at least two people. There was also a few other little bits to it but they are the main points. Any charity can be audited at any time, and with my experience in a charity it is definately being adhered to for fear of audit.
    So, what happens in the case of someone raising funds and accepting donantions when they are not registered as a charity?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,480 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

So, what happens in the case of someone raising funds and accepting donantions when they are not registered as a charity?

Nothing happens, they can't be checked. You just have to trust that they're putting the money where they say they are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭cassid

you don't have to be a registered charity to accept donations or raise funds, anybody can do it.
    Even if a charity that is exempt from paying tax (thats all the charity number is at the moment), you just hope that they allocate the funds to where they say they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭jma

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Diddley Squat

Interesting - I've often wondered if they were regulated or if there is any restrictions in place regarding where donations go.

I've almost given up on charities.
    I've always suspected that the wages and bonuses come first as per contracts etc , and that the people in need get the crumbs if there is any left.

I'm sceptical by nature mind you , but looking at scandals such as the Rehab fiasco and the refusal to reveal salaries etc ...... well you couldn't blame me.

Advertisement