Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has anyone ever heard of...

Options
  • 09-01-2006 2:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭

A "registered band manager"?

Does anybody know who these people are registered with or where they go to get registered?

Just curious...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Brother A

Sounds like showbiz B.S. to me.

Register schmegister, if your little sister is prepared to look out for your band's interests more that some bigshot manager attached to a record company, then I'd say go for your sister (not like that though...gawd!!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭Ay Cee

That's what I was thinking Brother.
    We've a new manager and one of my bandmates was like "make sure he looks into getting registered". I said "registered for what and with who?!".

He didn't know :)
    He said he'd come across it before that some lables will only deal with "registered band manager".

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Brother A

Ah I see. Well if a record company said that, they might possibly mean: registered with the BAND.

That way, the record company can be sure that they are dealing with an authorised representative of the band.....and should things later go pear shaped with the record company (perish the thought!) the band won't be able to dump the manager and claim that "well, he wasn't really our manager. We just picked him up off the street coz he said he once managed Johnny Logan".

HOW TO REGISTER A MANAGER WITH A BAND:
    I DON'T KNOW

... but ... a written contract between the band and manager might do the trick, and would be handy to have anyway (10% NOT A PENNY MORE!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭Ay Cee

Ex manager of Johnny Logan?!

Where could one acquire the services of said individual?! :D

Cheers Brother!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

I'm quite sure a Band Manager Registry is not in existence, unless it's in Bertie's Transport 21 plan in which case it probably still isn't in existence.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

to my knowledge theres no such thing as a band manager register

if a label was saying that they wanted a manager that was registered with the band they more than likely meant they wanted to ensure the manager had / has an existing contract with the band

the reasons for this are many but some of the reasons include:

- in most cases manager has worked the band to the point of signing and labels like to ensure that he/she stays at the helm longer to continue artist development

- a manager who is secure in their job does their job better

- it saves NO END OF HASSLE when things get messy as in who owes who what and for how long and what percentages are due to the manager from what incomes

- contract set out exactly managers have permssion to act on behalf of the band for and also what they do not

If anyone out there has a manager and would like some help in drawing up a contract to sign with them gimme a PM and I'll help you out putting one together, or you could get your manager to do it also LOL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭Frankiestylee

They wouldnt mean registered as in a registered company? It may be a bit of a tax man dealy, but you see a fair few manager types who have Joe Bloggs Management Ltd. kinda thang. I'm sure dealing with a registered company rather then some bloke is preferable to record companies... keep it all above board etc. But thats just what I'm guessing it is anyhows.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

the labels / companies don't care if the managers are a registstered company or not if its to do with tax purposes, the label aren't responsible for the bands / manager tax affairs thats something that should be sorted by the manager individual concernced and AFAIK the label ain't liable for them in any way TAX wise

Advertisement