Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nintendo WiFi and Standard WiFi USB Dongle ?

Options
  • 09-01-2006 2:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭

Is it possible to set up a standard WiFI USB Dongle (this is the one I have) to connect to with my DS ?

What I mean is this: Can I set up this Dongle as a wireless access point then bridge it throught an ADSL Modem/Internet connection to the internet ?

I'm pretty sure this is all the Nintendo dongle does...

If anybody has any info on doing this it would be great - if I get this working I'll be able to Nintendo WiFi from my girlfriend's gaf ;)

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

Yeh you can,
    When you install the dongle just get the DS to search for the network and then you can connect to it.
    If you have problems connecting read this : http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=50517856&postcount=9

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

Cool - Will give it a whirl later !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

It wont work unless your USB Device has the ability to act as an Access Point.
    Which by the link it doesnt.

kdjac

Balls !!

I'll have a try later anyhoo and see what the possibilities are....

What about using it as Ad-Hoc then bridging the Adapter through the existing connection ?

i.e. Nintendo DS --> USB Dongle (ad-hoc) --Bridging--> Internet Connection --> Nintendo WiFi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

deadl0ck wrote:
    Balls !!

I'll have a try later anyhoo and see what the possibilities are....

What about using it as Ad-Hoc then bridging the Adapter through the existing connection ?

i.e. Nintendo DS --> USB Dongle (ad-hoc) --Bridging--> Internet Connection --> Nintendo WiFi

I tried that with a Belkin one didnt work but the belkin one doesnt like windows using it, tried a lot of things with it. Nothing works if it can be an AP it will work. Hope it works for you cos they only €26 in PC World atm :)

kdjac

• Advertisement

Damn it !
    Can't get it to work. I can see my wireless point from the DS when it's set up as ad-hoc, but I cant get a connection through it to Nintndo WiFi - the connection test fails.
    I was using the method described here

Maybe some of you guys might have more luck than me.

I also disabled the software firewall in case that was blocking the traffic

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

nope we all got fuxered by this usb dongle crap....*sigh*

(maybe the forum needs a wi -fi FAQ?)

Advertisement