Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Insurance - shop around lads...

Options
  • 09-01-2006 1:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭

This morning I have saved myself the price of flights to New York and back.

Hibernian first came in at €2230 fully comp, I said that that's barely 100 down on last year and now with a 5 year NCB so off they went and came back with 2162 making out they were doing me a favour.

I rang Dolmen and they quoted ARB and a premium of €1953.

Went back to Hibernian with ARB's quote and they said best they could do was €2024.

I then phoned Britton who quoted €1861 with wait for it.... HIBERNIAN.

On my first call to Hibernian they said without my four points my renewal would be €1783 - now Britton have got to €78 off that even with 4 points.

I rang Hibernian again and they couldn't match Britton so I'm off to them next month.. only to be insured with Hibernian again - just waiting on Carole Nash to get back to me but I'd say I've got the best possible.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

what are you driving? 1.7k with a 5 year NCB is a fair belt of money!

Good to see people shopping around though, with even more encouraging results!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Big Balls

what are you driving? 1.7k with a 5 year NCB is a fair belt of money!

Good to see people shopping around though, with even more encouraging results!

I'm 24 in a month, 05 Golf GTI and 4 points. I have friends paying 2,500 on 1.6 Astras with less NCBs - I'm happy with 1800.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Whoop Whoop

Had 5 yrs NCB with Hibernian and they quoted me €799 Fully Comp on a 1.25 Fiesta Ghia with 2 points. €100.00 less than last year so I was pleased.

Did a shop around and AA came back with €407!!! Plus an option to join AA Roadside Assist for €60.00.

Rang back to Hibernian to see if they could match the amount and the best they could do was knock off €80.00.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Litcagral

I just managed to save €190 by ADDING my wife to the policy. Renewal quote was €810 - with wife added it dropped to €620.

I thought they (Allianz) may have made a mistake but they said it's generally cheaper if you add a spouse to the policy.

Yeh I tried that too... But even females with no driving experience and a provisional a few weeks don't go down well with GTIs and my girlfriend being on it (like I'd let her drive it!!!) made it go up...

• Advertisement

Big Balls wrote:
    I'm 24 in a month, 05 Golf GTI and 4 points. I have friends paying 2,500 on 1.6 Astras with less NCBs - I'm happy with 1800.

nice motor with an equally nice quote!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Mailman

try fbd.
    saved a couple of people money in the last few weeks by recommending they phone them.
    FBD appear to be trying to build market share at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭jimmytango

yer an idiot if you dont try aaran insurance they have a guy there called neil who is unreal at insurance and getting you what ya need

dont take anyone else but him the rest of them are muppets

he save me 500 euro on my renewel from quinn direct

and i have 4 points 2 years NCB and in the end i paid 750euro

check em out

Waiting on Aaron and Carole Nash to get back to me. Guy in Aaron said he was getting figures close to what Britton quoted me and he would call me back..

Tried FBD, told the guy age and car and was almost hanging up the phone on me and I mentioned the words 5 years NCB and he said ok hang on, went off to check something but when I mentioned points too he just said I'm sorry... :rolleyes:

Believe me lads, you name them, I've called them this morning..

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I got my renewal quote from Quinn on Friday - €967 for TPF&T on a fiesta zetec 1.25. I'm 23 with with a full licence and 1 year NCB in my own name, and 1 year named driving - though I don't think they count that after you have any ncb in your own name. Was paying €1330 last year.
    Rang around the various other companies but none of them can match Quinn, although I am waiting for a reply from Britton, but their web quote was about €100 more.

• Advertisement

Hear what you're saying... but with all due respect I can't insure a €37000 car TPFT so I have to keep it fully comp.

It's mad how things are different for others when it comes to insurance companies in Ireland - for you, Quinn are the best out of the bunch but for me, they won't even quote.

Just noticed the above posts - anyone got a contact number/website for Arran insurance? Thanks.

Edit: Ah, i wasn't suggesting you go to them with it - just giving my own recent experience. I do get the impression that quinn aim strictly for the low end of the market - i.e. the likes of me that the other insurance companies won't touch because I'm young and male. W4nkers.

They are in the Golden Pages..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭scuba steve

ya i shopped around 2, first quotes i was getting were in the 5grand range! :eek: But since i rang around and stuff, im getting the best quote at under 3for a 1.2L

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

If anyone wants to give aaran a go then e-mail them info@aaran.ie phone (01) 4782020 Aaran Insurances 44 Harolds Cross Road, Dublin 6w.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Whoop Whoop

Has anyone else tried AA?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭samo

I went with the AA as they gave me a quote almost a 3rd cheaper than my renewal with AXA and they gave me a reduced rate as I'm an AA member.

When I rang AXA to see if they would match it, they said they couldnt. So no problem there, after approx 6 years as an AXA customer, moved it to the AA - received the documentation in the post, only to find out that the AA had insured me by AXA but obviously they had secured a better rate as a broker!!!

It was approx €250 cheaper!

Was pretty pleased with the service from the AA overall.

AA wouldn't talk to me with only 1 year of no claims bonus. Britton insurance quoted me about 1500 initially. I emailed them and asked if they could beat Quinn's quote mentioned above (€967), and initially they said they couldn't beat that. Then 24 hours later I got another email saying after looking into it, they can go to €856! Result! I'm waiting to hear back from them who that policy is with and what the details are.
    (23, 1 year full licence, 1 year ncb, '00 Fiesta zetec 1.25, Kilkenny)

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Ivan E

Two important things here is that

1) Always shop around as the title suggests

2) But that doesn't always mean to go with the cheapest quote.

By shopping around, you should be able to get your original quote down a bit. Just check that the service you get is exactly what you want. For the sake of €80-100, it's not worth sacrificing somewhere you trust and have been good to deal with for somewhere with a bad reputation.

I always shop around for the best quote and then go back to my broker. They can never quite match it but they do offer a few things that I do like and so I still go with them. Even this year, trying to get a decent quote for a different car I got so pissed off get messed around, I just rang the place I was with and asked them was that the best they could do with the intention of paying it anyway and I got €150 off it.

So even if you too lazy to do the leg work, just ask them directly after they give you the quote, is that the best they can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭dogg_r_69

One of the lads today at work was ringing for quote for a Golf van Someone quoted him €1130 the next quoted around €5k He said he had a quote for €1000 and they just matched it straight away.
    Crooks, they are!!

• Advertisement

dogg_r_69 wrote:
    One of the lads today at work was ringing for quote for a Golf van Someone quoted him €1130 the next quoted around €5k He said he had a quote for €1000 and they just matched it straight away.
    Crooks, they are!!

you're kidding right?

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭dogg_r_69

you're kidding right?
    No joke I was standing next to him After he rang FBD they went through the whole thing and after about 8 minutes onthe phone told him they coldn't quote him till he had 3 years NCB

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭barryfitz

Man do I feel great today.

Heres the details:
    Im 23, Full licence for 4 years, driving for 6 years
    No Claims, no points.

Girlfriend:
    20, Provisional licence for <1 year

Car:
    1.3 Toyota Corolla, 1995, 4 door, no modifications (apart from furry dice) :P

Last year my policy cost ~ €960 with AXA (first policy in my own name)
    Put my girlfriend on as a named driver around Oct/Nov, policy went up to ~ €1200

This year renewal for €1014.55 (AXA):

Rang around for different quotes as follows (all fully comprehensive):

Hibernian: €848
    Eagle star: systems were down when I called them.
    AA: €654.89
    Quinn direct: €734

So I called AXA and mentioned that I had got a better quote from the AA, and just like you'd wipe your arse, she dropped the price to €660 so I told her the AA was €654 so she said..... fine €650. The deal was done!!!!! The reason I went fully comp was there was only ever about €50 squid in the difference

Saved myself almost €400 snots (tax which is also due end of month!)
    Happy days

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭digitally-yours

I called in yesterday for me and my wifes insurance

me and my wife are both 27 years old
    she has full EU lescense
    I have Irish Provesional
    No penalty points and etc etc

For ford focus Hatchback 2001 worth 6000
    with secure parking
    Wanted comprehensive insurance

FBD Quoted 3200euros

and Hibernian quoted 1300 euros

:) I am thinking i should shop arround a bit more

anyone knows which company will give the best deal in such circumstances.

you dont need to apologise so much :)
    just delete them dude!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭digitally-yours

barryfitz wrote:
    you dont need to apologise so much :)
    just delete them dude!

Hmm Job done Sir :) Now give me all my appologies back

• Registered Users Posts: 20,964 ✭✭✭✭Stark

barryfitz wrote:
    So I called AXA and mentioned that I had got a better quote from the AA, and just like you'd wipe your arse, she dropped the price to €660 so I told her the AA was €654 so she said..... fine €650. The deal was done!!!!! The reason I went fully comp was there was only ever about €50 squid in the difference

Saved myself almost €400 snots (tax which is also due end of month!)
    Happy days

My dad rings AXA at renewal time every year and every time they drop the renewal price for him. They really are just chancing their arms with their initial quotes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

barryfitz wrote:
    Last year my policy cost ~ €960 with AXA (first policy in my own name)
    Put my girlfriend on as a named driver around Oct/Nov, policy went up to ~ €1200

Thats interesting, received wisdom says putting wimmin on mans insurance causes price to drop not go up, maybe its cos you're both (I assume) young.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,964 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Probably an exception as she's 20 years old and just gotten her provisional licence, whereas he's 23 and driving a few years on a full licence. Thank goodness there's still some sanity to their risk assessment methods :)

• Advertisement

Stark wrote:
    My dad rings AXA at renewal time every year and every time they drop the renewal price for him. They really are just chancing their arms with their initial quotes.

I know its crazy. I only mentioned someone else had given me a lower quote and she straight away went down to 660. and when I mentioned it she asked me "was it Quinn" in a very cynical tone!!

Advertisement