Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what's wrong with my computer?

Options
  • 09-01-2006 4:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭

I was wondering if anyone could help me please!
    Every time I open Internet Explorer I get an error message saying:
    "Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience." etc.
    It asks if i want to send an error report or not, and it says:
    "To see what data this error report contains, click here"
    So if I click here it says:
    "AppName: iexplore.exe AppVer: 6.0.2900.2180 ModName: wininet.dll
    ModVer: 6.0.2900.2781 Offset: 0001b810"

If I click on either "send" or "don't send", Internet Explorer closes, but if I just ignore it it seems to be ok, and I can browse as usual.

The same thing happens when I try to use msn messenger
    It says:
    "Messenger has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience." etc.

And when I click here it says:
    "AppName: msnmsgr.exe AppVer: 7.5.311.0 ModName: wininet.dll
    ModVer: 6.0.2900.2781 Offset: 0001b810"

Same thing though, if I ignore it, then msn works ok.

I looked up that wininet.dll and it says:
    "DLL File: wininet or wininet.dll
    DLL Name: Internet Extensions for Win32

Description:
    wininet.dll is a module that contains Internet-related functions used by Windows applications.

Note: wininet.dll is a process which the Troj/Zlob-AO trojan tries to disguise itself as under the true process name of %systemroot%\mscornet.exe. This program is a registered security risk and should be removed immediately."

So I searched on my computer and the only wininet.dll file seems to be the normal windows one.

I hope someone can help me figure out what's going on. Do I have a virus? Or is something wrong with windows or anything else?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭wind00ze

Yes its possible you may have a trojan which infected some of IE's files.
    But its also well know that IE is prity crap.
    Firefox is a better choice when it comes to browsing.
    http://www.mozilla.com/firefox/ :)

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭waterfaerie

Thanks.
    I am using firefox, but I thought I needed Internet Explorer anyway for windows updates and stuff, so I was worried about something being wrong with it. I forgot to say in my last post that my virus scan turned up no viruses. That's why it was confusing. Anyway, my computer automatically updated since and the problem seems to have gone away now.
    Thanks though!

Advertisement