Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

underlay and flooring..

Options
  • 09-01-2006 3:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭

I am going to lay 7mm click laminate (Westco) flooring in the upstairs rooms/hall in my house. This generally seems to be supplied with 3mm underlay.

I was just wondering what peoples previous experience was with this. Is 3mm enough? Are there boardsters out there with sound issues with their laminate floors?
    Would I be better off using something like this instead?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Litcagral

I am going to lay 7mm click laminate (Westco) flooring in the upstairs rooms/hall in my house. This generally seems to be supplied with 3mm underlay.

I was just wondering what peoples previous experience was with this. Is 3mm enough? Are there boardsters out there with sound issues with their laminate floors?
    Would I be better off using something like this instead?

I put down 4mm plywood on top of chipboard and then a double layer of the underlay. Seems to have muffled most of the noise.

(Before doing anything walk around floorboards/chipboard to identify any squeaks and screw down where appropriate - makes a huge difference)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭db

Use the underlay shown in your link. I used the standard 3mm in the first laminate floor I layed and used the foil backed stuff on other floors and you can definitely "feel" the difference underfoot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭patrido

where can you buy this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭db

Any timber flooring supplier should stock it. As with anything like this ring around for prices first.

Advertisement