Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alex Garland

Options
  • 09-01-2006 12:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭

Any Alex Garland readers about?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭N_Raid

Yeah. I got The Beach and The Tesseract from my cousin who interviewed Alex Garland for a magazine he wrote for and had to read the books before he interviewed him. It probably would have been in about 98/99. I would have been about 12/13 at the time (at the time I read at a level a good bit above my age) but I absolutely loved them and still read both of them every so often to this day.

I didn't think much of the movie of The Beach though. It's like they cut the book in half and changed what didn't suit them. They took out most of the bits with Richard talking with Daffy, who was dead, if I remember correctly and they were some of my favourite bits in the book. And then the ending was piss poor compared to the book.

Did he write any more? I know he wrote the screenplay for "28 days later" but do you know if he wrote any more books cos I'd love to read more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

read the beach and the tesseract-liked the beach.The tesseract was pretty good too in a pulp fiction sorta way.Was nothing amazing though.Apparently he had a book out round june last year which was meant to be excellent.I didnt read it though as i just wouldnt be a big enough fan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

He wrote a novella called Coma, hard to describe really. Loved the Beach, but I thought the Tesseract ended apruptly, but I suppose that's half the point of the book. He's one of the most original modern writers though.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭finlma

The Beach is 1 of my favourite books of all time. Its really well written and it inspired me into seeing the world so I have a lot to thank Garland for.
    The movie made a balls of the book and I'm glad I read it before there was ever a mention of it being made into a movie.

Advertisement