Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Top 3 tips for buying and selling shares???

Options
  • 08-01-2006 11:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 39

Hi folks,

I'm new to the equity market and I'd be very grateful if people could offer their top three tips for buying and selling shares in their opinion.

Also, what is your favourite share and why?

Cheers JF

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Jack_Flash wrote:
    Hi folks,

I'm new to the equity market and I'd be very grateful if people could offer their top three tips for buying and selling shares in their opinion.

Also, what is your favourite share and why?

Cheers JF

I can't offer you any tips as I haven't taken the leap into the market yet.

I don't have a favourite share, but good shares to buy are the likes of AIB,PTSB and BOI.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭PDelux

Alot of people on this board have talked about Elan (ELN). Another good health stock is CELG, up $5 since last week ~8%.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

It's time to start reading,

you could do a lot worse than

"The Intelligent Investor: Graham"

You should probably seek professional help,a good broker will steer you in the right direction.

ETF's are good if you want to track the performance of a particular index.

Research stocks before you buy,dont just buy because there is a "buzz" about the stock.

Try the fantasy share thingy,to get some experience for free.

Good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Redmon

1. To repeat what Dunkamania said: start reading. Pick up classic financial books (stay clear of the flashy kind). FT, the Economist and the business sections of the broadsheets. As for a website: The Motley Fool (UK and US). It will take time to first understand what is going on and then time to familiarise yourself with the markets and its participants.

2. ETFs can never be underestimated and should form a important part of anyone's portfolio. The Motley Fool will tell you all about them - watch the Irish ETF.

3. Lastly a practical tip: investing in shares is really about holding for the medium to long term. Before buying a share, write down your reasons for buying it: why you are attracted to it;what kind of return you are looking for; what real price you attach to it etc. Further down the line you now have a great personal reference point to consult if you ever consider selling.

All the best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭PDelux

Here's one for you, check out MIVA, looks like its starting to move and its really cheap. I'm keeping an eye on it.
    Will open soon.

By the way CELG up another 2.5% since my post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Selik

Two of my fav shares are BOI and McInierny Holdings. BOI for it's stability and decent dividend and McI for the great capital appreciation it has shown me since I bought them less than a year ago.

I also love Elan but for slightly different reasons. It's certainly a rollercoaster!

Advertisement