Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New Car, delighted!

Options
  • 08-01-2006 11:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭

Just purchased my first car :D , '00 Punto Sporting, 46k on the clock. Delighted, well chuffed now!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

Post some pics when you can

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭Con_316

good work. Not a fan of puntos but at least You're on the road now, that's the main thing. They're insurance friendly enough too. My first car was £200 worth of 2litre ford granada automatic that i'd had for the field but then took to the road in. Not the safest idea but It was some laugh. still ahve it now but it needs work to make driveale again.
    Good luck with the new car anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,226 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Just purchased my first car :D , '00 Punto Sporting, 46k on the clock. Delighted, well chuffed now!

Congrats with your first car :)

Well chuffed you should be. The Punto Sporting has remarkable driving characteristics / feel of the road for such a small and cheap car. Make sure you keep it well maintained though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭ds20prefecture

Congrats - well done on a good choice. Hope you enjoy it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭scuba steve

thanks lads,
    will post pictures soon, i have to take a few after i give the car a washing and stuff, its raining now so ill wait a while and post pics!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 488 ✭✭watsgone

Congrats,
    I got a punto earlier last year my self, nice little mover for its size.

Good luck and safe driving

• Registered Users Posts: 73,439 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

congrats!

how much did you pay for it?

yellowpunto4cj.jpg

thats not the exact car, but its the model, colour etc. Will post pics of car 2morow hopefully

4grand for it. It is absolutely spotless, lady owner (bought from the husdband tho), non-smoker, they just bought 2new cars in the last year so didnt have a need for it.

that sounds about the right price, that 1.2 engine is a flyer! and it's one of the few small cars that look good in yellow!

ya not many cars look good in yellow. Its a bollox tho, the insurance company classes it as a 1.3 because its technicaly 1245cc or something like that!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

Good luck with it, for your own sake I'd change the thermostat and make sure the cooling fan is working to full capacity. They have a reputation for blowing head gaskets but if you replace and check the above they're a great car.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

ya not many cars look good in yellow. Its a bollox tho, the insurance company classes it as a 1.3 because its technicaly 1245cc or something like that!

whats the insurance like for you?

i started off with a 1.3 fiesta zetec and my insurance was €2700

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭CrimE

Know how ya feel, congrats!

Just got my first car 2 weeks ago, a 2001 punto, love it!

Safe driving. ;)

im not sure off hand what it is now because of them classing it as a 1.3 but it was around 5and a half i think. Will find out exact figures

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Kersh

Super, congrats, best colour ever....... technically its a 1.2, its taxed as a 1.2, so put a bit of pressure on the insurance company. :D you know you want to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

im not sure off hand what it is now because of them classing it as a 1.3 but it was around 5and a half i think. Will find out exact figures

€5500 for your insurance?!?! :eek:

BrynW wrote:
    €5500 for your insurance?!?! :eek:

yeh thats serious money!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

Yes thats about right. Pay it the 1st year and then shop around, go back to the insurer and tell them what you got elsewhere , watch the price drop a few k.

I was paying 3500 last year they wanted 3100 this year (3rd party).

Got a quote for 2800 fully comp and they dropped it to 2700. Just shows what they CAN do it for.

On the car, nice work m8. I hope you enjoy your bit of freedom :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

Those insurance prices are shocking.

Kersh wrote:
    Super, congrats, best colour ever....... technically its a 1.2, its taxed as a 1.2, so put a bit of pressure on the insurance company. :D you know you want to.

it's acutally taxed as 1.3 Capacity is 1242cc, so falls into the 1201cc to 1300cc category

• Advertisement

the post above i meant to say that i got quotes of 5and a half. The best one i got was under 3and that was a basic 1litre and they said if the car is hgher, then theyll just add "x" amount of euro on for every 0.1litre size.

Anyway, heres couple pics of the car

http://members.boards.ie/scuba_steve/100_1279.JPG

http://members.boards.ie/scuba_steve/100_1275.JPG

http://members.boards.ie/scuba_steve/100_1274.JPG

http://members.boards.ie/scuba_steve/my_punto.JPG

Those insurance prices are shocking.

I agree i thought insurance had come down a good bit but even i never paid that much for insurance!

next door neighbour has first time insurance on a 1.2 clio, he's 20 and is only paying €1700

hmmmm . . . do you know what company he is with draffodx?

Anyone got any recommendations for matching colours for extras to interior of the car?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Looking well mate

cheers BrynW

hmmmm . . . do you know what company he is with draffodx?

Anyone got any recommendations for matching colours for extras to interior of the car?

yeh he's with fbd

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭yellow012

junkyard wrote:
    Good luck with it, for your own sake I'd change the thermostat and make sure the cooling fan is working to full capacity. They have a reputation for blowing head gaskets but if you replace and check the above they're a great car.
    Junkyard, good advice but the Sporting has the 16v engine and AFAIK they don't suffer the same head gasket problems as the 8v engine so this shouldn't as much of an issue. I had a mk1 Sporting for 6 years (70,000 miles) without a bother, my sister is still driving it now. My advice would be, if the timing belt hasn't been done yet on it, get it changed. The FIAT garage down in Cork where I got my car serviced recommended changing it at 40,000 miles, it's wasn't an expensive job (approx €180 if you avoid Dublin Fiat Stealers). There a great little car, far superior to the equivalent Corsas, 206, Clios, Fiestas, Yarises etc. Best of luck with it.

thanks for the advice lads

Advertisement