Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help me identify this book!

Options
  • 08-01-2006 5:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭

It's a novel about a human society in the distant future. Nearly all traces of our present-day civilisation have been lost and all that remains - fragments from a Charles Dickens novel (I think) - are being used as the scriptures of a new religion.

Any idea what book this is?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭jay-me

If all else fails try googling Dickens and see if u can get the jist of it on the reviews etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

The Book of Dave, Will Self..?
    Has the one you're thinking of been released / around for long?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

^^^

Twould be out a good few years. Might be by Doris Lessing although I didn't see anything that matched my memory on her booklist on Amazon.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

I've often considered the concept (re: Christianity especially) ... but I cannot name the book. Sorry.

bumpety

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭solas

sounds like "The time machine" by HG wells. ? (although probably not)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,493 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

I doubt it is the Time Machine as I read it recently and it was not really like what the original poster described.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Hip

It doesn't quite match what you describe... but is it Brave New World?

Hip wrote:
    It doesn't quite match what you describe... but is it Brave New World?

No! Hmm... maybe I'll have to write a book of this description myself!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Hip

simu wrote:
    No! Hmm... maybe I'll have to write a book of this description myself!

Unless I beat you to it!

*scribbles furiously

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Sounds awfully familiar... but also sounds like an outer limits episode I once saw...?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,493 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

its not 1984? .. altho that is in the past, but was supposed to be a future view when written.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,306 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

BossArky wrote:
    its not 1984?
    Boogles! Have you read the book??!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Raptor

Not trying to be thoroughly unhelpful, but wasnt that also the plot of a Sliders episode? As far as I can remember they ended up on an earth where after a war the only book left was a nuclear plant safety manual, and the survivors based their religion on it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Could it be Brave New World by Aldous Huxley

Could it be Brave New World by Aldous Huxley

No.

Boogles! Have you read the book??!

Yes, plus watched a really crap film version about a week ago. Its as good a guess as the rest here.

Advertisement