Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chipset Waterblocks for DFI LP UT Sli -D

Options
  • 07-01-2006 9:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭

I have my DFI mobo in a Lian Li v2000 atm and if anyone is familiar with the board they will know its only fault lies in the placement of the Nf4 chipset being too close to the PCIe slots. As the board is now upside down in the case, when my 7800 gtx is in the first PCIe slot (now the bottom one) the memory heatsink on the gtx is right bang infront of the chipset fan causing it to suck in hot air from the gtx heatsink. This is causing major overheating of the chipset, which i discovered last night at a Lan playing BF2 for 45mins and then crashing because chipset temp was 62 degrees. I have temporarly solved this problem by moving the gtx into the second PCIe slot, the higher up one in my case (the one near the first PCI slot). As i will be running a SLi setup shortly i want to know if anyone knows of any chipset blocks which are low profile enough to fit between two cards on this board? Or is there any type of passive cooling solution available (heatpipe or something) for this board?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Dman_15

there are a few but they arent esential. they also are very restrictive to flow.
    62c shouldnt crash the pc. Befire i replaced mine it would idle at 58 odd and rise to 70 when gaming, but never caused instability. I only replaced it because of the noise

I replaced it with a vantec iceberq 4 (non pro), couldnt be happier, 40c idle under 50c at full load. Its silent (well i cant hear it over my Hd's) in my rig.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Optikus

Dman_15 wrote:
    there are a few but they arent esential. they also are very restrictive to flow.
    62c shouldnt crash the pc. Befire i replaced mine it would idle at 58 odd and rise to 70 when gaming, but never caused instability. I only replaced it because of the noise

I replaced it with a vantec iceberq 4 (non pro), couldnt be happier, 40c idle under 50c at full load. Its silent (well i cant hear it over my Hd's) in my rig.

Im looking for a NF4 Chipset waterblock, the Iceberg appears to be for GFX cards.

Optikus wrote:
    Im looking for a NF4 Chipset waterblock, the Iceberg appears to be for GFX cards.

It is for GFX, but it is perfect for the DFI. You drill 2 new holes 3mm or so to the side of the predrilled ones to avoid a capacitor et voilla.

http://www.thecoolingshop.com/product_info.php/products_id/908

http://www.thecoolingshop.com/pdf_datasheet.php?products_id=908&osCsid=b704ea67db524e5fd3cbb0b44d04892c

Dman_15 wrote:
    It is for GFX, but it is perfect for the DFI. You drill 2 new holes 3mm or so to the side of the predrilled ones to avoid a capacitor et voilla.

http://www.thecoolingshop.com/product_info.php/products_id/908

http://www.thecoolingshop.com/pdf_datasheet.php?products_id=908&osCsid=b704ea67db524e5fd3cbb0b44d04892c

Drill into the MoBo, ya mad bas***d. Don't know if i would risk doing that. The thing is i don't really want a fan on it, cos it will still be sucking in hot air from the GFX card. The 7800 is longer than the 6800. Thats why i'd prefer a Passive or Watercooled solution, but can't seem to find anything suitable.

Optikus wrote:
    Drill into the MoBo, ya mad bas***d. Don't know if i would risk doing that. The thing is i don't really want a fan on it, cos it will still be sucking in hot air from the GFX card. The 7800 is longer than the 6800. Thats why i'd prefer a Passive or Watercooled solution, but can't seem to find anything suitable.

Drill the fan you eejit :P

on Dfi-street some guys have modded artic freezers as passive solutions. Looks like a lot of work though. The forums there have tons of mods for cooling the NB

• Advertisement

Dman_15 wrote:
    Drill the fan you eejit :P

on Dfi-street some guys have modded artic freezers as passive solutions. Looks like a lot of work though. The forums there have tons of mods for cooling the NB

Right, i'll have to check that out.

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

they wont work,

if you really must, hered the only one i know of that fits

http://www.mips-computer.de/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

• Advertisement

Nice one lads. Looks like i have to start saving for a new WC kit. I do have an old Thermaltake Aquarius II which i used to use on a AthlonXP rig wonder if theres any adapters i could use to make one of these waterblock work on the 1/4 inch Aquarius pump and res.?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

Optikus wrote:
    Nice one lads. Looks like i have to start saving for a new WC kit. I do have an old Thermaltake Aquarius II which i used to use on a AthlonXP rig wonder if theres any adapters i could use to make one of these waterblock work on the 1/4 inch Aquarius pump and res.?

yeh u can get all sorts of adapters

The Aquarius pump is pretty weak, but i'll think it will be ok for just the chipset. Thats all i need WC'd atm. So i think my next purchase will be one of those waterblocks with adapters. And if the pump dosen't hold up to the job i can always get a better one.:D

Advertisement